Shuffle Along artwork

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#25Shuffle Along artwork
Posted: 8/28/15 at 10:46pm

I absolutely love the design, but a friend brought up an issue:

why is every single name on this poster African American, including the song and book writers, yet they decided to put a white woman in the center? I realize the woman, Ann Pennington is famous for popularizing the Black bottom, an African American dance style of the day, but c'mon.....They could have put a black woman from the vaudeville days on the poster........

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#26Shuffle Along artwork
Posted: 8/28/15 at 10:57pm

^It's possibly a mistake (read at the bottom).

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#27Shuffle Along artwork
Posted: 8/28/15 at 11:10pm

I will confess that when I first saw it I assumed she was black, based on the show.

It is a bizarre choice if it was intentional, but it's bizarre also that such a mistake could go unnoticed. 

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#28Shuffle Along artwork
Posted: 8/29/15 at 12:20pm

Thanks for posting, Tag. That's very interesting.

I agree, Nowack. As I said, I didn't even realize it myself until a friend brought it up, but the more it sits with me, the more squeamish I feel about it. 

If I were Audra (and I sometimes pretend I am), or anyone else involved in this production, I would've been a bit insulted by the image that was chosen.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

ChiTheaterFan
#29Shuffle Along artwork
Posted: 8/29/15 at 4:16pm

Thanks for posting that article as it makes more sense now. But I just googled Adelaide Hall and yeeeeaaahhh... That really doesn't look like her. I google Ann Pennington and it really does look like her. 

How could they make such a mistake?

Love the artwork otherwise and can't wait for the show...  Hope they fix it with the correct actress. 

Updated On: 8/29/15 at 04:16 PM

LightsOut90
#30Shuffle Along artwork
Posted: 8/29/15 at 10:12pm

So is this a revival or a new show, I'm kind of confused what the idea is here 

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#31Shuffle Along artwork
Posted: 8/29/15 at 10:33pm

This show is not a revival. It's an original musical based on the behind the scenes of the musical "Shuffle Along". The official title is "Shuffle Along, Or, The Making of the Musical Sensation of 1921 and All That Followed". I guess you could compare it to "A Chorus Line" in the fact that it's about putting on a musical. I feared this was going to be a problem as soon as it was announced.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

seahag2 Profile Photo
seahag2
#32Shuffle Along artwork
Posted: 8/30/15 at 3:09am

Typography heaven. I love it.

so I smile like Mona Lisa and I lay my Visa down

seahag2 Profile Photo
seahag2
#33Shuffle Along artwork
Posted: 8/30/15 at 3:09am

Typography heaven. I love it.

so I smile like Mona Lisa and I lay my Visa down

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#34Shuffle Along artwork
Posted: 9/10/15 at 6:43pm

https://shufflealongbroadway.com

There's a new lady on the site! Shuffle Along artwork

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#35Shuffle Along artwork
Posted: 9/10/15 at 7:24pm

That new woman is also on the commercial!

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#36Shuffle Along artwork
Posted: 9/10/15 at 9:50pm

Much better!

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

eperkins Profile Photo
eperkins
#37Shuffle Along artwork
Posted: 9/11/15 at 2:41pm

I like it that she too dances when you mouse over. It looks like she is a contemporary woman that they shot specifically for the poster this time.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#38Shuffle Along artwork
Posted: 9/11/15 at 2:49pm

If you refresh the page, there's a different version of the woman, like a "slideshow".

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#39Shuffle Along artwork
Posted: 9/11/15 at 6:01pm

I swear someone was asking who the ad rep for the show is, even though I can't find it now, but for the record it's SpotCo.