pixeltracker

Weird experience over the phone with New York Theatre Workshop

Weird experience over the phone with New York Theatre Workshop

cjmclaughlin10
#1Weird experience over the phone with New York Theatre Workshop
Posted: 9/30/15 at 1:39pm

I figured I should place a call today since Lazarus tickets are supposed to go onsale to the public tomorrow Wanted to see if they could give me a time so I could plan my morning 

The woman at the box office wasn't even sure they would go onsale tomorrow let alone what time!!! She said something about "contractual obligations.... Allot of performances are already close to sold out and tickets haven't been made available to the public yet". She tried to tell me they were aiming for next week but when I pointed out that tomorrow is the published onsale date she said "that is correct". Ok then...

I asked about the first two previews being $25 (like past NYTW productions and as it states on the website)
I hope they don't suspend their student rush policy. That would be a really ****ty thing to do (I saw Hamilton twice for thirty dollars due to The Publics generosity towards students. Was able to buy them at the box office the day they went on sale. Same deal with Eclipsed)

They asked for my phone number and said they would call me back 
The Public runs high profile shows much better than this.... I hope NYTW can pull this off

I will post more info as I get it

cardamon Profile Photo
cardamon
#2Weird experience over the phone with New York Theatre Workshop
Posted: 9/30/15 at 1:52pm

When I checked the website this morning, the onsale date had changed to October 7 at 12:00, though it doesn't say if that's am or pm.

Curious to hear what they say when they call you back.

cjmclaughlin10
#3Weird experience over the phone with New York Theatre Workshop
Posted: 9/30/15 at 2:10pm

Just did some Facebook snooping and figured that out. I sent them a Facebook message and email as well 

with a show like this, it's important to have all the facts (onsale time, ticket prices...)

neonlightsxo
#4Weird experience over the phone with New York Theatre Workshop
Posted: 9/30/15 at 2:16pm

They changed the onsale date to Oct 7 sometime after the cast was announced a couple weeks back. It DID say Oct 1 at one point, you're correct. But you're right, it shouldn't be so hard to find that info.

Curious if anyone knows what time the tickets go onsale on the 7th, as well.

AnarchyinthePreK Profile Photo
AnarchyinthePreK
#5Weird experience over the phone with New York Theatre Workshop
Posted: 9/30/15 at 9:49pm

I bought a multi-ticket "smartpass" which listed the ability to purchase tickets in advance of the general public as a perk. The website will not let me purchase tickets. This is super frustrating as I live in oregon and bought  the pass solely to insure I was able to see the show during my visit.

If I do get that sorted out I will have a couple extra tickets.

iluvtheatertrash
#6Weird experience over the phone with New York Theatre Workshop
Posted: 9/30/15 at 10:12pm

Seems to me there won't be ANY $25 seats for the first two previews. From what I understand, they only offer the seats STILL AVAILABLE at that price. They don't actually hold any. 

I tweeted them a few weeks ago asking them to confirm the on sale time/date, and they said October 7th, 10am.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

cjmclaughlin10
#7Weird experience over the phone with New York Theatre Workshop
Posted: 9/30/15 at 11:10pm

This is the official response I received through Facebook

Tickets for Lazarus will go on sale on October 7 at noon. At this time Cheap Tix will be on sale. This program makes all available tickets for the first two performance $25. These tickets can be purchased online, in person or by phone. This replaces the Sunday Cheap Tix program we previously had. Student tickets are now rush tickets available day of for $25 cash only at the box office, subject to availability. You can find the full policies for our Cheap Tix program and rush tickets here: http://www.nytw.org/connect/contact/

If you have any additional questions please let us know.

it is very strange that someone was told 10 AM. And yes, I am concerned that they don't hold the entire first preview or two for the low price (again, the Public dose it better)   It is important to realize that the only performance officially listed as SOLD OUT online is the opening night performance (that may be because it was never on sale to the public). 

I can't get it out of my head that the box office rep i spoke to this afternoon actually said "most performances are sold out or close to it and the tickets haven't gone on sale to the public yet"

anyway, dose anyone want to try and gues what the ticket price will be? smart passes are $65 each but I think it will go far higher (possibly match Hamiltons run at the public at $120)

AnarchyinthePreK
#8Weird experience over the phone with New York Theatre Workshop
Posted: 9/30/15 at 11:41pm

I was just looking at the seating charts and most performances only have a few 3-5 scattered single seats available or are already sold out. Face Value for the tickets is $99.00.  It will be a really small amount going on same by 10/7 Weird experience over the phone with New York Theatre Workshop

cjmclaughlin10
#9Weird experience over the phone with New York Theatre Workshop
Posted: 9/30/15 at 11:56pm

how do the first 2 previews look? Those are the performances I'm concerned about since they are being used to make NYTW look generous and generate good will  

AnarchyinthePreK
#10Weird experience over the phone with New York Theatre Workshop
Posted: 10/1/15 at 12:04am

one is sold out minus a wheel chair accessible seat - the other has 5 scattered single seats available as of now. $29 is the face value of those.

cjmclaughlin10
#11Weird experience over the phone with New York Theatre Workshop
Posted: 10/1/15 at 12:55am

I try to belive the good in people so I'm just going to pray that only 1/2 the tickets for the first two previews were put on sale and the other 1/2 will be put on sale for the general public....  

AnarchyinthePreK
#12Weird experience over the phone with New York Theatre Workshop
Posted: 10/1/15 at 1:31am

selling tickets to their subscribers would make them "not good people"?

AnarchyinthePreK
#13Weird experience over the phone with New York Theatre Workshop
Posted: 10/1/15 at 1:33am

If any one is interested I will have 2 tickets for a performance in December that I will need to sell. 

feedpuppy
#14Weird experience over the phone with New York Theatre Workshop
Posted: 10/1/15 at 2:26am

Is there any NYTW member here who's willing to buy me a guest ticket? It'll be much much appreciated! 

cjmclaughlin10
#15Weird experience over the phone with New York Theatre Workshop
Posted: 10/1/15 at 7:54am

When they claim it is supposed to be a performance reserved for individuals who wouldent be able to pay full price otherwise... I think it makes them look bad for making it appear as though the opertunity is available and then selling them all durring a subscription period   To me, it goes against what non-profit theatre should be   

neonlightsxo
#16Weird experience over the phone with New York Theatre Workshop
Posted: 10/1/15 at 9:12am

That is very frustrating if true, as they are trumpeting their new CheapTix program.

AnarchyinthePreK, can you PM me the info of the tickets you're trying to sell? Thanks.

Updated On: 10/1/15 at 09:12 AM

cjmclaughlin10
#17Weird experience over the phone with New York Theatre Workshop
Posted: 10/7/15 at 12:11am

Just looked online incase tickets were released at 12 AM and the cheap tix performances they have been patting themselves on the back for are listed as sold out...  I hope they were smart enough to put some of those aside for the general public and not let subscribers buy all the accessible tickets 

they mentioned the cheap tix program again in yesterday's  Facebook status reminding people of the on sale date. 

Jayar2 Profile Photo
Jayar2
#18Weird experience over the phone with New York Theatre Workshop
Posted: 10/7/15 at 1:08am

cjmclaughlin10 said: "Just looked online incase tickets were released at 12 AM and the cheap tix performances they have been patting themselves on the back for are listed as sold out...  I hope they were smart enough to put some of those aside for the general public and not let subscribers buy all the accessible tickets "

The solution is simple-- become a subscriber and support theater. Cheap tickets are a privilege not a right.

cjmclaughlin10
#19Weird experience over the phone with New York Theatre Workshop
Posted: 10/7/15 at 1:29am

Programs like this are meant to allow low income individuals who can't afford to pay full price (such as students youths...) an opportunity to see the show....  I'm sure there is an organization or individual  out there who would be willing to  underwrite the Cheap Tix program

They should not be made availible to subscribers (at least not all the seats)...  They have already proven they have the money to pay full price

as for the regularly priced performances, I have no issue with subscribers having unrestricted early access

I know they have a youth rush, but I think it's only a matter of time before they invoke the "rush tickets are subject to availability" and make people wait in a huge line only to discover that all the rush tickeye won't be distributed because there are no seats available 

Updated On: 10/7/15 at 01:29 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#20Weird experience over the phone with New York Theatre Workshop
Posted: 10/7/15 at 5:42am

Non profits and cheap tix are not synonymous.

They are not obligated to make cheap tix available at your desire.  Be grateful they offer them at all. 

Just because they are non profit doesn't mean they don't have bills and salaries to pay.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

neonlightsxo
#21Weird experience over the phone with New York Theatre Workshop
Posted: 10/7/15 at 9:04am

If the tickets are indeed "sold out" before they even went on sale, that's not "offering them at all."

AnarchyinthePreK
#22Weird experience over the phone with New York Theatre Workshop
Posted: 10/7/15 at 9:40am

Most of the performances are not sold out due to subscribers - the show will sell out extremely fast but tickets will be going on sale today.

neonlightsxo
#23Weird experience over the phone with New York Theatre Workshop
Posted: 10/7/15 at 9:42am

I'm aware. The point is that the "cheap" first two performances are already listed as sold out to subscribers. So are they really sold out? In that case there are no "CheapTix."

iluvtheatertrash
#24Weird experience over the phone with New York Theatre Workshop
Posted: 10/7/15 at 10:36am

They should've held at least 10 per performance, or skipped the press release that made them seem like one of those generous organizations striving to provide cheap tickets.... But if they're indeed sold out and there are no seats available for CheapTix, that's pretty damn tacky. 

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#25Weird experience over the phone with New York Theatre Workshop
Posted: 10/7/15 at 10:44am

I just got an email from NYTW about tickets going on sale this afternoon and they still make mention of the Cheaptix program. I really hate that they changed this from the Sunday thing that you could only purchase at the box office.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah