pixeltracker

Who saw the original THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG?- Page 2

Who saw the original THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG?

PottstownTeacher
#25Who saw the original THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG?
Posted: 10/5/15 at 8:21am

I was 7 years old when I saw the National Tour at the Forrest Theatre in Philadelphia.  Dick Latessa and Anita Gillette were the stars.  My mom saw the original production in NYC and brought home the record album, which she played a lot.  So when the tour came, she bought us tickets.  I think I still have the stub, and it might have been $12.50(??) for a mezzanine seat?  I know I still have the Playbill.  I didn't get the souvenir book because we already had one in the house from the NYC production.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#26Who saw the original THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG?
Posted: 10/5/15 at 4:25pm

Years ago; someone had posted pictures of the original set designs and projections.  They were very cool for their time.  Anyone have a link?

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Buscee
#27Who saw the original THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG?
Posted: 10/5/15 at 4:43pm

I saw it a few times. One of my favorites. I actually have the Demo Album that was sent to record companies before the Original Cast Album came out, and the full Johnny Mathis cut is on it!  Great show.!

Buscee
#28Who saw the original THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG?
Posted: 10/7/15 at 4:13pm

Are you sure it was Robert Klien at the last performance of Lucie's, and not Laurence Luckinbill her husband?  THey resemble each other. I know Lucie and Robert are friends now, but I don't think he would have gone back to see her.  Could be.

nsguy45 Profile Photo
nsguy45
#29Who saw the original THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG?
Posted: 10/8/15 at 4:29am

It was positively Robert Klein who sat behind me at Lucie's final performance. I spoke with him at intermission and witnessed him bantering with the orchestra. 

Updated On: 10/8/15 at 04:29 AM

Buscee
#30Who saw the original THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG?
Posted: 10/8/15 at 9:01am

Thats great to hear! They were perfect together!

singingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
#31Who saw the original THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG?
Posted: 10/18/15 at 12:33am

I too saw it in Philadelphia with Anita Gillette and Dick Latessa, loved it and played the album all the time.  Years later got to do it in dinner theater twice.  Special place in my heart for this show.  "LEON!"

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#32Who saw the original THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG?
Posted: 10/18/15 at 8:19am

I've seen two amateur productions of this. Without stars there's not much there. The set up repeats multiple times.

Sonia arrives late for a meeting.

Vernon complains.

Sonia says / does something eccentric.

Vernon relents.

The unseen ex-boyfriend phones.

Sonia leaves.

Rinse and repeat about four or five times. The offstage ex has to do a lot of the heavy lifting. 

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

Jarethan
#33Who saw the original THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG?
Posted: 10/18/15 at 11:22am

Every show will always have suporters and detractors.  I saw it a few weeks after it opened, and found it modestly entertaining at best.  The story was very thin, the score only okay (as I recall, there really were not very many songs, but that is probably wrong), the performances enjoyable, the evening totally forgettable.  It was Summer stock on Broadway.  It would be totally dated today...hell, it was dated then.  Let's face it, most Neil Simon has not aged well...it was 'of its time' and this was later inconsequential Simon (as opposed to some of his more substantial later plays, e.g., Lost in Yonkers'-).

Whoever suggested it should have won best musical over Sweeney Todd should have his account revoked.

Updated On: 10/18/15 at 11:22 AM

hork Profile Photo
hork
#34Who saw the original THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG?
Posted: 10/19/15 at 1:52am

I kind of agree with Jarethan. I saw it a few years ago with Jason Alexander, and found it mildly enjoyable, but thin and forgettable. And yeah, there aren't many songs, and the only song I even remember is the title song. The most memorable part was the set: the stage was a gigantic record player, which I thought was pretty cool.

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#35Who saw the original THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG?
Posted: 10/19/15 at 3:30am

I remember that amazing set. Sparkling. So New York. So Broadway. I saw the original cast and can still close my eyes and see it.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

Jarethan
#36Who saw the original THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG?
Posted: 10/19/15 at 11:00am

But that set was not in the original run...I remember it as being pretty conventional and inexpensive looking.  Probably hallucinating after 30ish years, but didn't it look like the interior of a beach house living room?

Updated On: 10/20/15 at 11:00 AM

Dollypop
#37Who saw the original THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG?
Posted: 10/19/15 at 11:04am

Saw the original production.  actually I may have seen it several times.  (I was organizing lots of theater parties in those days).  Enjoyed it very much.  Still play the obc every once in a while.  No specific recollections of the show, though.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#38Who saw the original THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG?
Posted: 10/19/15 at 4:41pm

To Jarethan

You are correct re the number of songs.There were only 9 songs and a lot of reprises.

Poster Emeritus

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#39Who saw the original THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG?
Posted: 10/20/15 at 10:46am

I saw the show in SF. I have no clue who was in it then but i did get the record (and the 8 Track) and then the cassette and then the cd. And when Hamlish had a birthday celebration at the Kennedy Center he reunited the cast for a one off at the Opera House. I got to meet all three and get autographs.  That was super swell. 

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."