Allegiance Previews

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#75Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/7/15 at 11:36pm

I wish it weren't so, this is exactly the kind of thing I want to succeed, but this is a REALLY bad musical. This is some of the most generic writing to hit Broadway during my lifetime. Terrible direction. Game cast, trying their best. Poor George Takei, committed and personally invested and wasted. 

Scarywarhol
#76Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/7/15 at 11:39pm

Double post 

Updated On: 10/7/15 at 11:39 PM

Scarywarhol
#77Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/7/15 at 11:44pm

A stronger director might have wrestled a passable evening out of the middle school history pageant text, but Arima (as always, HOW does he keep getting work?) is not interested in making choices. Bland, 2D, weaksauce, schmaltzy work that BORDERS ON INCOHERENT. 

Updated On: 10/7/15 at 11:44 PM

bunnie3 Profile Photo
bunnie3
#78Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/7/15 at 11:47pm

Just got back.  Purposely didn't read this thread beforehand.  Now I have.  Hav e to say I wept like baby thru most of act 1, in a great way.  I found this play tremendously moving,  viscerally.  You could hear a pin drop throughout.   There was just something SO passionate, and  genuine in the troupe, it pretty outweighed for me, the flaws that whizzer and others have pointed out.  Yes ,I wish Hal Prince had directed , that the scenery was better, et al ,but imho, a story that should be told , and succeeded on many levels.  Seeing Mr Takei s personal story brought to life on a Bway stage is something miraculous, as the material is not your ordinary Bway fluff.   It s gonna be a hard sell for sure, but we thoroughly enjoyed this thought provoking story, a story important in our current cultural climate. 

I'm "TINY"aka TheTinyMagic. BWW log on problems forever. Yeesh.

Pootie2
#79Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/8/15 at 12:03am

It's interesting to see the divergent critiques. I'm holding out hope because it's certainly landing (mostly) for some even in preview state.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#80Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/8/15 at 1:29am

bunnie3 said: "...a story important in our current cultural climate."

Err, maybe it's just getting late, but what current event makes the Japanese-American internment important right now? I do think it's important, but not dialing in why it is especially current now.

Scarywarhol
#81Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/8/15 at 1:37am

It COULD feel relevant, xenophobia and jingoism and picking a minority to fear. That's all with us. But nothing about this production is specific. 

What's really absurd is that the situation ITSELF is inherently dramatic, but everything obviously  traumatic about it is sped through. What was it like to be ripped out of your home? What was it like on the train? I've heard George Takei tell the story of his family at the camps in countless interviews, and every time, it has been more interesting than the invented drama here. The characters are so weightless; the libretto so vanilla. The second act has to invent one cheap trick after the next to justify its running time. 

Updated On: 10/8/15 at 01:37 AM

Pootie2
#82Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/8/15 at 1:40am

Can you be more specific about what felt like cheap tricks?

bunnie3 Profile Photo
bunnie3
#83Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/8/15 at 2:08am

Haterobics:  I felt that the show very eloquently spoke about "gaman" (endurance with dignity, as explained on "author s note, in the playbill),  loyalty, nationalism, bigotry.  Not just exclusive to the specifics of the Japanese internment, but to anyone unjustly imprisoned.  The cultural climate I refer to is that of indifference, xenophobia, disrespect  and political extremism.  I hope that makes my comment more clear .  I do agree some with scarywarhol in that there was some very "generic" lyrics and book, and heavy handed, underinspired direction, however, the power of the singing and story really got to me.   What can I say?  The emotion really sucked me in.  I respect the differing opinions so far.  

I'm "TINY"aka TheTinyMagic. BWW log on problems forever. Yeesh.

Wilmingtom
#84Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/8/15 at 3:28am

In terms of Arima's success with "Altar Boys," I would argue that it was Chris Gattelli's success.

Phan2
#85Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/8/15 at 4:23am

I’m glad to hear that some of those seeing the previews enjoyed  Allegiance.    Regarding the quality of the acting/strength of the cast, it seems that there are several here who did feel that the cast performed well, trying their best to overcome what some (not all) felt was a problematic book and problematic direction.  

Regarding some confusion about the back story of the characters, history may help add some context.   It seemed significant immigration into the United States of Japanese immigrants occurred after 1890.   http://history-world.org/asian_americans.htm   Tatsuo would be one of those immigrants.   I would guess that Sam and Kei were born in the U.S., although I am not sure if this was clarified in the musical.   I know that within the Japanese-American community, those who were born in the U.S. from parents who immigrated from Japan to the U.S. were referred to as “second- generation” or as ”Nisei.”    They would be U.S. citizens, as I  am guessing Sam and Kei were (again, not sure if the musical confirms this).  Tatsuo would be referred to as “first generation,” or as “Issei,” and would not be a citizen of the U.S., since Japanese immigrants were banned (via U.S. immigration law) from becoming naturalized American citizens until 1952.  https://history.state.gov/milestones/1945-1952/immigration-act    

Regarding why Sam would join the U.S. military, I know some joined the U.S. military because they wanted to prove that they were loyal Americans, despite being treated by the U.S. government as if they and their families were spies.   Many Japanese-American men did join the U.S. military and were part of the 442nd Regiment, in an effort to prove their loyalty to the U.S.  http://www.kcet.org/shows/tvtalk/tv-news/kcet-offers-two-takes-on-the-go-for-broke-442nd-regiment.html    https://www.pbs.org/thewar/at_war_democracy_japanese_american.htm   Was there any indication that this is why Sam joined the U.S. military?

Regarding why Tatsuo would refuse to forswear allegiance to the Japan, there seems to be several possible reasons:  (a)   Since U.S. law prohibited Tatsuo, as an immigrant from Japan, from becoming a naturalized American citizen, there may had been a fear that if he should forswear allegiance to Japan, that he would be a citizen of no country, “stateless,” (b)  as a matter of principle, some may have resisted forswearing allegiance to Japan because they found it patently offensive that the U.S. government would treat them like spies, solely because of their race/ancestry, with no evidence of disloyalty.   http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/09/us/japanese-americans-seek-answers-at-internment-camp.html?_r=0   Did Tatsuo say anything to indicate that any of these two reasons were what motivated him to refuse to forswear allegiance to Japan?

Updated On: 10/8/15 at 04:23 AM

c0113g3b0y
#86Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/8/15 at 4:50am

Reading the comments here have sorta solidified my fears that Lea's return to Broadway will be a short lived one. The comments here, while negative, have been very constructive in terms of the criticisms. I don't think the media critics will be as kind though.

The thing is, besides being an utter toad of a human being, Riedel usually has the least knowledge of the topic in the room. He doesn't usually understand the content or approach of a show, and is always completely and unfailingly socially ignorant, which makes it really infuriating when Susan can't get a word in edgewise. A definitive mansplainer; it's always painful when he has female guests. I watch the show sporadically when I really want to see a guest, because it's the only theatre talkshow we have, but it would be so much better without this hateful clown in a dadcoat. (thanks ScaryWarhol)

AlfieByrne
#87Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/8/15 at 5:36am

I have a hunch that the reviews will be mixed to positive. I definitely felt some hesitation in expressing an outright negative review since the show does try, and I think many critics will be feeling the same way. Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if it closes in January if the show doesn't go through a major, major overhaul and become a critical hit.

Pootie2
#88Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/8/15 at 8:13am

c0113g3b0y said: "Reading the comments here have sorta solidified my fears that Lea's return to Broadway will be a short lived one. Some of the comments here, while negative, have been very constructive in terms of the criticisms. I don't think the media critics will be as kind though.

" Seems like mixed reviews here so far. It's hard to say how tourists will react because tourists don't go to previews; social media reactions have been positive, but that's superficial as well. I don't think style changes are possible (lacking nuance and having generic lyrics), so I suppose it comes down to structure and maybe the addition of a killer song if there isn't one note. Of course my wish is that the creatives would be capable of an overhaul, but previews are just a month long...and they're all noobs (I think literally no one but Salonga has been on Broadway). 

TheresaG Profile Photo
TheresaG
#89Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/8/15 at 9:57am

I saw Allegiance last night and have mixed thoughts still this morning. I really was up for seeing this show. The subject of the Japanese Americans treatment during WWII with the camps is a difficult one even though it's over 70 years ago that it occurred.  There is no way to understand an injustice so grave; it was done and people suffered badly. That does come through in the show if you keep yourself open to that concept. A couple of times it is subtle, like when Sammy returns from the war and tries to discuss how many of their men were lost in the war with Mike. You see Mike taking the bureaucratic line and Sammy just drops the topic.

But it is a slow moving show in the first act. The first few songs and action when the war is declared and assignment to the camp moves fine; but then it seems to go into slow motion. Perhaps it's because so many of the songs seem to have the same pace. I was anxious for intermission to come. I did enjoy hearing the infusion of the Asian melodies into the music throughout the show. Set wise, I thought it was ok and the projections are extremely well done.

The second act is a little slow in parts but it does pick up speed and the ending was quite good; I had tears in my eyes. The impact of the disaster that met the troops coupled with the tribute to Hiroshima and then bang - the war is over. And suddenly everyone is celebrating and it's all supposed to be good. You can't help but feel the pang of what injustice has been done to people who were American citizens of Japanese descent. It really comes through glaringly with a hard bite in the song with the USO dancers "442 Victory Swing." Everything might be great but when you have been released from the camps with a bus ticket and $25 to "start over" how do you feel it is a victory? (that scene was well done)

I had never seen Lea perform live. She sings beautifully but her acting at times seemed forced. Telly is also a fabulous singer but he just didn't fit the part somehow. But I think he might grow more into the role; this was only an early preview. Loved George T throughout; I think the parts he is in were great especially as the grandfather. But the real star of this show for me was Michael Lee playing Frankie. He was passionate in his approach to the role and also has a tremendous voice. He was Frankie through and through. I found myself routing for him all the way.

Shows like this that take on difficult topics and have so many sad and disappointing moments are tough sells on Broadway. I was hoping for a positive ending and I got it. So if they can cut some of Act 1, I think it has a good chance of succeeding with a fairly successful run.

Updated On: 10/8/15 at 09:57 AM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#90Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/8/15 at 10:34am

TheresaG said: "The subject of the Japanese Americans treatment during WWII with the camps is a difficult one even though it's over 70 years ago that it occurred.  There is no way to understand an injustice so grave; it was done and people suffered badly. That does come through in the show if you keep yourself open to that concept."

Jeez, I hope they can at least get that across. Otherwise, what's the point? Allegiance Previews

neonlightsxo
#91Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/8/15 at 10:43am

Scarywarhol, I have to agree with you. I have not seen this incarnation but saw the show previously. I will never understand why producers don't take the hint when they can't get funding for their show. If you have a worthy musical, the funding will come.

It took them forever to get to Broadway. There is a reason.

"I think Telly should be replaced right away."

It's a little late for that.

Updated On: 10/8/15 at 10:43 AM

broadwaysfguy
#92Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/8/15 at 11:49am

interesting discussion

so nine people have seen and posted on the first two previews so far

4- thoroughly enjoyed to loved it

4- panned it gave the actors credit in most cases, did not like book, score or direction

1-mixed to positive with hope it can be tweaked enough in previews for a decent run

also interesting to note that all four pan reviews are from long time members of the board7-11 years)

all four likes are from more recent members (3 years or less)

will be interesting to see if the 50/50 split holds up on the board (which it so frequently seems to do)

Have only seen or heard a few of the songs on youtube. hope as always its successful 

Will try to see it if I make it to new york by end of year.  

Congrats to Allegiance and the team for making it to broadway with a powerful original story and score!!!!!

There is some great content in mostly very thoughtful comments here from really experienced theatregoers and i hope the director and producers are reading them!

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#93Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/8/15 at 1:51pm

Broadwaysfguy-really interesting observation. I, too, will be watching as more users file their reviews! Seeing it on Sunday...can't wait! 

neonlightsxo
#94Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/8/15 at 1:55pm

"all four likes are from more recent members (3 years or less)"

Very astute. That's usually how things work around here Allegiance Previews

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#95Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/8/15 at 2:01pm

neonlightsxo said: ""all four likes are from more recent members (3 years or less)"

Very astute. That's usually how things work around here Allegiance Previews
"

Yeah, the less people know, the happier they are...

Wildcard
#96Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/8/15 at 2:53pm

"I had never seen Lea perform live. She sings beautifully but her acting at times seemed forced."

I had the same thoughts about Lea's performance but upon watching clips of her on "The Voice," it seems thats how she really carries herself in real life. (Not "forced" per se but larger than life… making sure the back of the bleachers see her performance)

dave1606
#97Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/8/15 at 3:19pm

I would argue that tourists go anytime a show is playing when they are in town. I have been at several previews where the people next to me had no idea it was the first show, they just got tickets at TKTS.

I'd also say that Telly Leung has several credits to his name, so Lea is not the only one with Broadway credits. 

I saw last night's show and it is definitely proof that you can assemble a good cast and a great intentions, but you still have to write a good musical. Sadly, this just isn't a good musical.

The positive is that I thought the cast was excellent and everyone is giving very committed performances. Telly Leung is an excellent leading man. I loved Lea Salonga, and George Takei comes across as warm and likable. 

That being said, the show, despite noble intentions just doesn't do the material it has justice. From the drab wooden sets, to the direction that sometimes just makes no sense SPOILER(there is a scene where a character dies, and I was convinced they were just shot in the leg).

The music and lyrics are very forgettable, and often doesn't work well within the context of the show. Lea Salonga sings a song about being on clouds and swinging that felt like it was from a totally different show. (I kept thinking of Leap of Faith 's Lost that had a full on detour about driving).

This is a small thing but having MINOR SPOILER confetti at the curtain call also really irked me. If you are going to sell this very serious story, why cheapen it to a Disney ride?  EDIT apparently this does tie  to the story, but from the mezzanine it looks like confetti.

Overall, I can respect the show for it's noble intentions, but I can't give this a recommendation

Updated On: 10/8/15 at 03:19 PM

BWNUT
#98Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/8/15 at 4:32pm

Saw this in SD and had the same thoughts about Lea's performance.  Love her but she has difficulty in delivering spoken dialogues. Even in her concerts her spiels can sound forced and stilted (and long winded). She's fabulous in sung-through projects but struggles with the spoken word. Not sure how to remedy that.

Phan2
#99Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/8/15 at 4:48pm

Five people who saw the show gave it good reviews, with some qualifications.  Five who viewed the show gave it mostly negative reviews, mentioning some positives.  One person gave it a mixed review.  It's been pretty balanced in terms of the positive vs. negative views.  It comes down to whether one thinks the shortcomings of the show outweigh the positives, or whether the positives outweigh the shortcomings.  As one can see, that varies according to the individual.   It also may come down to how one generally approaches seeing shows in general, ie, looking at the show primarily in an analytical manner, or relying primarily on a visceral emotional response (as was discussed in several of the Hedwig threads). 

Two of those giving Allegiance a positive review were not relatively new members (Bwayphreak235 joined 7/10 and hushpuppy joined 11/04), while one of those giving the musical a negative review was a rather recent member (joined 10/15).   The numbers are too small, to generalize in my opinion.   But I agree that generally, as someone said, the less you know (about others' opinions), the happier you will be about a show when you see it yourself.  

There has been criticism that has been constructive, with helpful detail.     Likewise, those who have been positive about the musical also have been detailed as to why they enjoyed the show.    I personally feel it may be a little early to predict that the musical will not do well or have a short run. 

Likewise, as for how the critics will view the show, I rather not predict that critics will be unkind.  Perhaps they will be mostly positive, but with some valid criticisms.    Who really knows, especially at this early stage?   

Whether this is unusual or not, I tend to give shows a try if I support the overall message, as well as if I am a fan of some of the cast.     Some may feel the show does not do the subject matter justice, of the trampling of the civil rights of Japanese-Americans during WWII.    Yet, others may feel the show does do the subject matter justice, that the show is able to provoke from them, an emotional response, an appreciation of what was a great tragedy that has not often been recognized, the human cost that Japanese-Americans suffered, because of generalized fear and hatred based on racial prejudice.   Others may feel torn on the issue of whether the show does justice this dark time in our history and how it impacted the lives of fellow human beings, but yet feel that even if the show is not perfect, there is much to be learned and appreciated because of how incredibly valuable it is to address this issue that historically has been shoved in a closet, of how our government can fail people belonging to certain groups viewed as outsiders by our society, of how fear and anger based on prejudice may sweep the entire country--including the government that should respect and honor the constitutional rights of all--to act irrationally and unjustly. 

I applaud that a show that addresses these issues is on Broadway.  I hope that people give it a try. 

Updated On: 10/8/15 at 04:48 PM