pixeltracker

SPRING AWAKENING revival flailing at box office- Page 5

SPRING AWAKENING revival flailing at box office

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#100SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 10/17/15 at 7:53pm

I have rarely heard of reseating from the  mezzanine to the orchestra. I have been reseated a few times. The first time was that Young Frankenstein, where the entire mezzanine was moved to the dress circle,  which is the only time I've been moved into a completely different section.  The other times it was moving from the last rows of the rear mezzanine to the first few or the last few of the front mezzanine.  It normally happens when there is large section of the theater, normally the mezzanine, that remain unsold,  and so the house manager decides to move everybody behind tye empty section up, to make the theater feel more full.  
Updated On: 10/18/15 at 07:53 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#101SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 10/17/15 at 10:30pm

TerrenceIsTheMann said: "It shouldn't have extended as they can barely sell it already."

It extended by two weeks, not sure why that is such a big issue. 

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#102SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 10/17/15 at 11:39pm

I saw the original too and didn't find it that interesting. This new production was spell binding. This is what Broadway should be.

mmmbop1
#103SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 10/18/15 at 8:24am

No, no one else was moved to my knowledge. The producers give out a pair of orchestra upgrades at each show. He was standing next to me outside the theater, must have memorized my seat number (he was looking at my ticket) and the. Appeared there and gave me two upgraded seats

TBone Profile Photo
TBone
#104SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 10/26/15 at 12:05am

Scored a seat in the fourth row this afternoon at TKTS. I cannot remember the last time I was SO moved by a  production. This is an absolutely beautiful production that surpassed any expectations that I had walking in.

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#105SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 10/26/15 at 1:59am

DramaMama writes:

"Hansen's masturbation scene was sublime. But I also felt so number of scenes didn't climax well...."

Question: Did the masturbation scene climax well? SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

neonlightsxo
#106SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 10/26/15 at 9:35am

If they're reseating to the orchestra from the mezzanine, that means their numbers are bad. As we already knew.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#107SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 10/26/15 at 11:27am

It sounded more like the producers were just doing a random upgrade for two people per show from the cheaper seats to orchestra seats, more like a promotion than anything else, no?

neonlightsxo
#108SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 10/26/15 at 11:34am

No, it doesn't sound like a "promotion" to me. But I guess anything is possible.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#109SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 10/26/15 at 11:53am

This was always a 'prestige' transfer.  And I think they will still end up getting some nice Tony nominations out of it. 

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

neonlightsxo
#110SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 10/26/15 at 11:54am

Right, but prestige doesn't pay the bills or the rent, so...

rob136
#111SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/10/15 at 2:06pm

I saw this show last Sunday, and I had some issues with it. I loved the idea, but there seemed to be a serious disconnect at times between the deaf and hearing actors playing the same role. In particular, the two Moritz' seemed to offer two distinct portrayals of the character, with the hearing actor vocalizing an intense need and urgency in everything he said while the deaf actor didn't have that same focus. Both portrayals were perfectly valid, but having both of them attached to the same character at the same time was confusing to me. It almost seemed like the two Moritz' were struggling to communicate, which may have been a powerful underscore to the themes of the musical if not for how clear it seemed to me that this was not intentional (mainly, how much it interfered with understanding the character, at least coming from an audience member who hasn't seen the show before).

As a side note, I sat in the rear mezzanine. Don't do that. If you're going to spend money on this show, you have to spring for the orchestra - you simply must see facial expressions on the deaf actors/actresses faces. I feel like I missed out on a lot not being able to do that.

BROADWAY: The Cripple of Inishmaan, This is Our Youth, If/Then, Hedwig and the Angry Inch (x3), Cabaret (x2), The Real Thing, A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, Chicago, Les Miserables (x2) Disgraced, Finding Neverland, On the Twentieth Century, Wolf Hall Part I, On the Town, Fun Home; TOURING: Jekyll and Hyde, The Book of Mormon; LOCAL: The Twilight Zone, Anne Boleyn, Death and the Maiden, The Lying Kind, Chorus Line, Stupid F**king Bird

Sam2
#112SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/16/15 at 12:17am

Tonight's show had to deal with some technical flaws. Problems with the audio had been going on for a while during the second act, the dialogues were frequently disrupted by distracting noises and 'bangs'. Especially Krysta Rodriguez's microphone was having an off-night, resulting in her having to talk most parts of her scene with Moritz without any help from the audio system. Things got worse when during Blue Wind her mike stopped working totally, she then danced her way to the side of the stage to grab an external mic and continued singing and signing the rest of the song holding that one. She handled the situation in a very professional way, and it kinda reminded me of the original Spring Awakening years ago.

Besides that, Spring Awakening was, once again, amazing. It was my second time seeing the show and I might have loved it even more since I got to sit in the center second row of the mezzanine, which allowed me to enjoy the beautiful staging to the fullest. I got my ticket via Todaytix for only 27 dollar, so for anyone who was still wondering whether he should see the show or not: this is your chance. 

By the way, after the show Krysta Rodriguez gave a speech about her personal experience with breast cancer and how a non-profit organization, forgive me for forgetting its name, helped her through it. This was followed by a fundraising for Broadwaycares. 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#113SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/16/15 at 12:20am

Great! Thanks for the tip -- I've wanted to go back since I saw it in previews, but have been too busy or stalled out.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Sam2
#114SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/16/15 at 12:25am

One of the bittersweet things about this production not really succeeding in attracting the great commercial, touristic public is that u can choose practically any seat you want in the mezzanine without any problem. Such a shame that this beautiful and moving production isn't more of a success, because there is more crap on Broadway attracting much greater crowds for a far less interesting show. Have not seen a mezzanine this empty in a very long time. Besides some lost tourists, only the last two rows, who had been sold to TodayTix users, were filled. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#115SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/16/15 at 12:35am

I was there tonight, as well, and was really taken with the production. I think I heard so much about the challenges of staging this, from how to cue the cast for different things, doing choreography to music you can't hear, and on and on... I sort of quickly realized that for the audience, it is just Spring Awakening with a different framing device. Any other challenges were all on the cast, not the audience... and I found that even as things switch from being projected, signed, and on and on, it seemed to be done in a way that you were always drawn to where you were supposed to be looking very naturally.

I did watch Joshua Castille during Purple Summer at the end, and it was sort of transformative how much musicality and emotion he was able to channel through his entire body and signs. Highly recommended...

Only downside was I booked this because I saw Camryn was going to be out through the 14th, so I booked the 15th, and she wasn't on tonight, either. And I chatted with her at Barbecue about the show, we have a mutual friend we discussed for a while, and then I ran into her on the street, and we chatted again, where she said to make sure I find her afterward and say hi. Maybe I'll go again, if TodayTix is plentiful and the mezz is selling that poorly... I cashed out some Audience Rewards points to be in the second row orchestra tonight, since this is one of the shows I was most looking forward to seeing right now.

Polka Dot2 Profile Photo
Polka Dot2
#116SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/16/15 at 12:43am

Sam2 - how did you get a $27 ticket on TodayTix? It says that the cheapest is $47

i saw the show about two weeks ago on a Sunday night. I had gotten seats all the way in the back with the hopes of being able to move up, but the show was sold out.

i didn't get as drawn into the show as I wanted to. I think I really needed to be closer for this one. Most shows I am fine with being in the rear mezz, but I felt distant at this one.

Sam2
#117SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/16/15 at 12:48am

Polka Dot2 said: "Sam2 - how did you get a $27 ticket on TodayTix? It says that the cheapest is $47"

There were $37 tickets for a bunch of dates for sale earlier this week. Since I don't have people who want to spend their life saving's on tickets so they can give me a ten dollar discount, I used the SUBWAY-code. I believe it's for first time users only, or that u can only use it once, but creating a new account can't be that hard, I suppose. (Sorry for being a bastard)

Haterobics, how did you like the view from the second row? I sat at the extreme side of that row during previews and it is not until going back sitting in the mezzanine before I realized how much I had missed. But much has to do with your position in the row, off course. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#118SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/16/15 at 12:54am

I was second row, on the aisle, center orchestra, with no seat in front of me... When Moritz jumped offstage to run down the aisle, his jacket smacked me in the head, so pretty close, pretty centered, didn't miss a thing. SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office

Did no one ever mention Andy showing his booty during Totally Fu&*ed?! Wasn't expecting that, but wasn't complaining, either.

Sam2
#119SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/16/15 at 1:04am

^It's one of the guilty pleasure highlights of the show. Besides Austin McKenzie's entire appearance, off course. I would have loved to hear more of his falsetto, by the way. It sounded very promising. 

VintageSnarker
#120SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/16/15 at 2:12am

"Tonight's show had to deal with some technical flaws. Problems with the audio had been going on for a while during the second act, the dialogues were frequently disrupted by distracting noises and 'bangs'."

That's very strange. Does anyone have an explanation for this or know if they're doing anything to resolve the issue?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#121SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/16/15 at 2:16am

VintageSnarker said: "That's very strange. Does anyone have an explanation for this or know if they're doing anything to resolve the issue?"

The wire into Krysta's mic pack was seemingly loose, so it would make noise as it was moving around, until it finally came out entirely. Nothing systemic that needs resolution, just one of those things that happens, live theater and all.

Sam2
#122SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/16/15 at 2:23am

Indeed. At first I couldn't really point out what the problem was because the distracting noises could also be heard when Krysta wasn't talking at all. A girl who was seeing the show for the first time didn't really get what happened storywise during the show, so maybe other people who saw it for the first time or who weren't familiar with the original  might have not totally gotten it. But as said, the entire issue was handled in a very professional way, respect for that because Krysta had to figure it all out without off stage discussion with a technician. Wonderful show, though. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#123SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/18/15 at 11:55am

So, they are running a special ticket price in honor of the ADA, which doesn't include any of the accessible seating? Only rear mezz... D'oh! So it's in tribute of the accessibility, not for anyone who needs accessibility, heh.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#124SPRING AWAKENING revival failing at box office
Posted: 11/18/15 at 12:08pm

Well to be fair, wheelchair seating is usually the normal orchestra price and is a very limited quantity available. 

Side note - in 1996, when I came to NYC with my dad (who was in a wheelchair) for a theater trip, we paid around $15 each for wheelchair seating to see VICTOR/VICTORIA, ONCE UPON A MATTRESS, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST and SUNSET BLVD, all in the orchestra.