Lazarus

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#25Lazarus
Posted: 11/19/15 at 6:27pm

To go into this blindy, and before more preview reviews roll in... what is the consensus thus far, should one watch the movie first? If you never saw it, do you wish you had? I'm not seeing it for three weeks, so I can do it and put some distance in between yet.

FindingNamo
#26Lazarus
Posted: 11/19/15 at 8:20pm

I saw the movie when it first came out and again recently on the Retro channel, whatever the H that is.  Anyway, what I learned was I really had NO idea what the hell I was seeing when I went to that first screening (which is odd, because I studied Nick Roeg in a film study class before that), but boy did I love it recently.

I think the movie is known for being quite different from the book and it seems that of what I have allowed myself to read about the show, which isn't much at all, it's being described more like what happens in the book to the character as we see him at the end of the movie, if that makes sense.  I do worry when cast members make pre-emptive statements like, "It will divide the audience," but especially when it's coming from that Once woman I can not abide by.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

ClaudeBukowski Profile Photo
ClaudeBukowski
#27Lazarus
Posted: 11/19/15 at 10:36pm

On a (semi) side-note, if anyone else on the thread is a giant Bowie fan like myself, here's his new video. I believe this song was rumored to be in Lazarus at some point, but didn't make the cut? Mind-blowing new music in my humble opinion. 

http://pitchfork.com/news/62172-david-bowie-shares-intensely-creepy-blackstar-video/

willep
#28Lazarus
Posted: 11/20/15 at 12:35am

Saw it tonight.

To start, haterobics, yes I would recommend watching the movie first. I was glad I did, it doesn't spoil anything, as this is a sequel, but there are a lot of references to it that would add a layer of confusion to the show for you that is unnecessary.

At the end of the day, I enjoyed it but felt it didn't reach it's full potential. There was some really, really good stuff and some stuff that just didn't work for me. I wish that I could see it again later in the run to see if they make any changes.

A couple of my personal thoughts:

The cast overall is strong. As others have mentioned, Sophia Anne Caruso is a star. What a voice that girl has. I hope they make a cast recording if only to hear her singing those songs again.

I have to say that I found Esper's character to be one of the most interesting, and his big number was one of my favorite parts of the show.

The music is fantastic. Not being a real follower of Bowie, I couldn't begin to tell you what the ratio of old/new music was. There were, I think, 4 times where I was like "Oh yeah, I know this song."

The videos and projections are really well used, and really pretty cool. They add a level of surrealism that is essential to the piece.

I thought the script was one of the weaker points, sadly. I loved Enda Walsh's work on "Once" but here I felt it wasn't reaching the heights (or depth) that it could/should.

The three "Teenage Girl" characters just didn't work for me. I didn't really understand what they were and, honestly, they felt amateurish to me. I'm not completely sure how to explain that, but even just their costumes, every time they were on they looked to me like they had wandered into NYTW from a community theatre production of I'm not sure what.

The other thing that stuck out to me was the direction. There were just times throughout it that seemed very sloppy and not in an "under-rehearsed" way.

I'll be curious to hear if they make any changes during previews, and I think I might try to lottery when they start doing it, in hopes of seeing it again. Overall I enjoyed it and am glad I saw it.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#29Lazarus
Posted: 11/20/15 at 12:48am

willep said: "To start, haterobics, yes I would recommend watching the movie first. I was glad I did, it doesn't spoil anything, as this is a sequel, but there are a lot of references to it that would add a layer of confusion to the show for you that is unnecessary."

Thanks, I'll avoid this thread until I see it in two weeks then.... I wasn't aware it was a sequel, so definitely not a spoiler issue. Just clarity, if anything... Sounds like a plan. Lazarus

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#30Lazarus
Posted: 11/20/15 at 1:29am

So it's not like A View From The Bridge at all? It's not a stripped back production? 

I thought it would be this super interesting piece, but if you have to see the movie before it, I cannot see this ever being a commercial  hit. 

neonlightsxo
#31Lazarus
Posted: 11/20/15 at 9:40am

I saw this last night without having seen the movie or read the book and understood it just fine. (well, as much as you're supposed to understand it.) You can go into it blind. I really enjoyed it.

I agree that the Teenage Girl characters could be cut to 1 character, if not removed completely.

mariel9 Profile Photo
mariel9
#32Lazarus
Posted: 11/20/15 at 12:44pm

I saw it last night and really enjoyed it. MCH sounded amazing, as did Sophia Anne Caruso. The music and staging were wonderful. As for the script, I have a couple of theories that tie everything together except for Esper's character. He was compelling and wonderful to watch, but seemed extraneous. Even when I didn't know what was going on, I was engaged. Milioti was my only problem--not her but her character's gratuitous transformation into a blow-up doll. I can't see this show being a commercial hit. It's pretty weird, and the storyline is . . . opaque. (I have not seen the movie, but I read a plot summary before I saw the show.)

neonlightsxo
#33Lazarus
Posted: 11/20/15 at 12:58pm

Mariel, I see why you would think that about Esper's character (Valentine), but I sort of read it as a parallel storyline. He is indeed not tied into the story of the other leads (Hall, Caruso, Milioti) but I did think that his deep loneliness and desire for love was sort of a parallel to Hall, and therefore helped to reiterate the theme, rather than extraneous. Does that make sense?

"Milioti was my only problem--not her but her character's gratuitous transformation into a blow-up doll."

Totally agree with you on this.

Updated On: 11/20/15 at 12:58 PM

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#34Lazarus
Posted: 11/21/15 at 10:48pm

I know many people who were not able to buy tickets were disappointed, but you are the lucky ones!

Updated On: 11/21/15 at 10:48 PM

OMG2
#35Lazarus
Posted: 11/22/15 at 12:12am

Maybe they stood because they were confused also. I tried to get tickets. The last two comments 

were enlightening, Lots of hype,  I am sure I would be confused. Michael Hall is mesmerizing .

LightsOut90
#36Lazarus
Posted: 11/22/15 at 1:09am

any merch for this? 

Copperfield2
#37Lazarus
Posted: 11/22/15 at 9:04am

Two of my close pals who love all kinds of theater both thought this was a risky and worthwhile production. And they are fairly picky with their praise. I won't be seeing this until January 2. I expect changes will be made by then.

neonlightsxo
#38Lazarus
Posted: 11/22/15 at 12:13pm

LightsOut90 said: "any merch for this?"

A poster. $10.

neonlightsxo
#39Lazarus
Posted: 11/22/15 at 12:15pm

OMG2 said: "Maybe they stood because they were confused also. "

???? what

A.Douglas Profile Photo
A.Douglas
#40Lazarus
Posted: 11/22/15 at 10:37pm

neonlightsxo said: "LightsOut90 said: "any merch for this?"

A poster. $10.

"

Thanks SO much for this info! I went tonight to grab a couple posters before they (will probably) sell out, and Ivo van Hove (the director of Lazarus and A View From The Bridge) entered the lobby as I got them, and he graciously signed one! OMG, one the best nights! I then was told if I wanted to wait for the rest of the cast, that I could sit for the remaining half hour, which I did of course haha. I met Michael C. Hall (he's SO sweet!), Sophia Anne Caruso, and Bobby Moreno! I am planning on seeing the show soon! :) Any more reviews from you lucky audience members? I'd love to hear them! Also, I accidentally saw 20 out of the last 30 minutes of the show (a TV monitor in the corner of the ceiling of the lobby), so I can say, when those who saw it say it's beautifully done with projections and graphics, that's an understatement! Just by those short minutes, I am SO pumped to see it! :)

FindingNamo
#41Lazarus
Posted: 11/22/15 at 11:15pm

I'm worried for the well-being of your exclamation point finger.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

A.Douglas Profile Photo
A.Douglas
#42Lazarus
Posted: 11/22/15 at 11:18pm

Haha, sorry, was just so excited I met them. But thank you for the concern nonetheless. :)

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#43Lazarus
Posted: 11/23/15 at 2:42pm

A few more tickets have been released, in case anyone is interested.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#44Lazarus
Posted: 11/23/15 at 2:49pm

Where? I still see the sold out notice on the drop down menu on the nytw website. 

neonlightsxo
#45Lazarus
Posted: 11/23/15 at 3:06pm

If you click on the dropdown, it doesn't say Sold Out on Tuesday or Saturday. So tickets should be available for those. At least they were there a minute ago when I looked.

Tapdance2
#46Lazarus
Posted: 11/24/15 at 12:17am

Saw it tonight, and I think they have made some changes, because I didn't find it a handicap not to have seen the film. I liked the staging & how they used the video. Agree with most of what the last couple of posters said. Glad I saw it but don't think it's essential. There was only 1 person in line for returns, he was able to buy 2 tickets, but not together for those of you interested in trying for tickets. I don't know if there were other singles available, but it looked to me like there might have been

A.Douglas Profile Photo
A.Douglas
#47Lazarus
Posted: 11/24/15 at 5:01pm

Got my ticket! :) SO excited to see it tonight! Also, I overheard that there are at least a dozen seats that JUST became available through the rest of the week if anyone wants to grab one off the NYTW site. Just thought you guys would like to know. ;p

AntV
#48Lazarus
Posted: 11/25/15 at 7:04am

So are there no cheap ticket options for these last minute released tickets? NYTW just does a few cheap seats for the first two performances and then a lotto for the extension? Daniel Craig complained about expensive Broadway tickets and the audience it brings yet decided to do a show at the absolute worst off-Broadway theater for inexpensive tickets.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#49Lazarus
Posted: 11/25/15 at 9:50am

I would HARDLY call NYTW the "worst off-broadway theater." I'd consider them one of the best, actually. I'd even go as far as saying that NYTW is as high quality and high standard as it gets off-Broadway. Just because you don't agree with their ticket prices doesn't make them a bad company. 

That being said: high profile artists/actors = higher ticket prices. They do what they can to make it accessible but at the end of the day, they could charge full-price for these runs in their entirety and still sell them out. Fair is fair.