Lazarus

V2David
#50Lazarus
Posted: 11/25/15 at 10:43am

Is this show okay to bring young kids to?  I realize it isn't a "kids" show, but I need to know if the show would be considered "scary" to a child.  My kids are big Bowie fans (I raised them right) and they want to go to the show.  I just want to make sure they aren't terrified!

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#51Lazarus
Posted: 11/25/15 at 10:46am

AntV said: "the absolute worst off-Broadway theater for inexpensive tickets"

Greased Lightning said: "I would HARDLY call NYTW the "worst off-broadway theater."

Greased: he didn't say it was the worst Off-Broadway theatre! Read the full sentence! :) 

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#52Lazarus
Posted: 11/25/15 at 3:16pm

I was at the performance last night and although I was prepared for something "weird" I wish the proceedings had been a little more coherent, both in terms of the story and the themes. I was familiar with the film (or novel) at all so it took me a good chuck of time to figure out the set up and who these people were. Even when someone says you're from another planet, that is normal taken as a metaphor and not that you're literally from outer space, so maybe it would be best to at least read a synopsis of the film before checking out Lazarus. 

I admired the performers greatly and felt for their presumed exhausted states by the end. The roles are physically and emotionally demanding; you couldn't walk through a performance like this even if you tried. I actually enjoyed Milioti the most and perked up whenever she had a big number. I think she has an entrancing presence and it's nice to see her on stage again. I liked Esper's big number and despite the odd man out quality of his role, I thought he seemed more self-assured here than in The Last Ship. Hall was good too, but I had a much harder time connecting with/feeling for his character. Caruso, who was so good in The Nether, is excellent again here, although her character left something to be desired. 

The music will assuredly play well on disc, but it almost never pushed the plot forward, what little there was to begin with. I don't know if it really developed character all that much either. It mostly existed to create mood, which is important, but wore on me after 2 hours of little else. 

As far as Walsh's work with the book goes, I know this isn't that type of piece to spoonfeed the audience anything, and generally I'm waving the banner laying out too much, but sometimes have have to throw the audience a bone or two- even a few scraps will do! If Lazarus moves on from NYTW I hope this area gets the most work. 

The set has a large square screen upstage center that is used like a video monitor that the characters interact with. Sometimes I was impressed by a clever touch of direction involving the screen and at other times it just felt like sensory overload. 

I guess I'm glad I saw it for the sake of seeing the actors, but wish I had taken away more from the musical than I did. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

A.Douglas Profile Photo
A.Douglas
#53Lazarus
Posted: 11/25/15 at 3:29pm

I was too at last night's performance, and though I agree with a good amount of what you said, I personally didn't care if I got the characters or not (which is extremely strange for me, because I usually seek that necessary info out), and I think about half of the songs helped show a few aspects of character (i.e. Cristin Milioti singing "Changes" from Bowie's Hunky Dory album) and/or plot (i.e. The Man Who Sold The World from Bowie's album of the same name). Overall, I REALLY enjoyed the piece, it was beautifully done. I had the fortune to meet with Ivo van Hove (Director of Lazarus, A View From the Bridge, and the upcoming revival of The Crucible), and he informed me that this will not be transferring to Broadway. Also, if anyone cares, I spoke with Michael Esper afterwards about working for both Sting and Bowie within the course of a year, and he said that Sting was obviously more hands on, but both are very sweet and passionate people and artists, who really cared about their respective projects. I hope you all get a chance to see it, as I really do think it is that good. :)

P.S. - I kept a mental tracklist if anyone wants to know what lucky pieces from Bowie's catalog were used. :)

WhizzerMarvin
#54Lazarus
Posted: 11/25/15 at 3:37pm

Changes was one of the highlights of the evening for me. Not only was Milioti giving a strong interpretation of the song, but it did help develop her character. I wish all of the songs could have had the same effect on their respective characters that Changes had for Milioti. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

A.Douglas Profile Photo
A.Douglas
#55Lazarus
Posted: 11/25/15 at 3:47pm

V2David said: "Is this show okay to bring young kids to?  I realize it isn't a "kids" show, but I need to know if the show would be considered "scary" to a child.  My kids are big Bowie fans (I raised them right) and they want to go to the show.  I just want to make sure they aren't terrified!

"

The show is dark (and gets darker throughout), and for me a 19 year old NYU student, didn't creep me out necessarily, but kept me on edge. 

Though I don't know how my experience would translate to your children (as their ages would obviously be a factor), I would say don't take them, just to be on the safe side. But for you to go, that I'd HIGHLY recommend. :)

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#56Lazarus
Posted: 11/25/15 at 3:51pm

I just wanted to throw it out there that this show has one of the longest sequences using strobe lighting that I've ever seen, in case anyone is susceptible to its effects. It's quite intense, and it seems to go on for a while. Even with my eyes closed, I was still seeing it.

Updated On: 11/25/15 at 03:51 PM

A.Douglas Profile Photo
A.Douglas
#57Lazarus
Posted: 11/25/15 at 4:05pm

macnyc said: "I just wanted to throw it out there that this show has one of the longest sequences using strobe lighting that I've ever seen, in case anyone is susceptible to its effects. It's quite intense, and it seems to go on for a while. Even with my eyes closed, I was still seeing it.

"

Good point! I forgot to bring that up earlier haha. Oh, it's also 1 hr 55 min with NO intermission. :)

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#58Lazarus
Posted: 11/25/15 at 4:25pm

Michael C. Hall just can't seem to get away from the strobe lights (thinking Hedwig). I loved him in that.

WhizzerMarvin
#59Lazarus
Posted: 11/25/15 at 4:28pm

I loved him in Hedwig too. I thought he was the only one who came close to matching JCM's brilliance. 

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#60Lazarus
Posted: 11/25/15 at 6:19pm

I saw the show over the weekend and to be totally honest, I'm stumped over it.  When we left, I flat out told my boyfriend that I wasn't sure if I understood it...maybe it went over my head and I was just lost and couldn't be decisive about it.  There wasn't anything, in my eyes at least, that was really bad about it, but there are parts that are better then others.

I enjoyed the acting--the actors are doing a fantastic job with characters that aren't always pleasant (I tried, but couldn't connect to MCH's character.  However, I felt he was great in the role).  I typically dislike Cristin Milotti, but this was a stronger performance from her.  She had the musical moment of the night with Changes.  Watching this and comparing it to his work of 5 or 6 years ago, you can see that Michael Esper has grown as an actor.  I don't think he was ever bad, but when you think of his musical experiences--American Idiot, The Last Ship, and now Lazarus, his confidence and expression are just so much better now.  I have to really hand it to everyone on the stage because this is clearly a draining show and they kept it going for the entire show.  Even though it wasn't long, it's heavy.  

When I view the book and the music together, I can't help but wonder if this would have almost worked better as the elusive "play with music."  The music is well done, but as Whizzer said, it does next to nothing for character development or movement.  And isn't that the purpose of music in a musical?  I worry that this play will isolate people who have no familiarity with the novel/movie/history of David Bowie.  I saw the movie about a decade ago and remembered it well enough, but if you're shaky on it, I think it's a bit difficult to hold on to.

The lighting with the strobe lights was absolutely horrible and made me nauseous!  I'm very sensitive to strobe lights, but I had parts of the show where I had my head in my lap and my coat covering it.  I won't lie; that definitely soured some of the show for me.  It's frustrating to go to a show and not be able to watch part of it.

As for bringing kids to it, I'd say a resounding no, unless they're older and familiar with the plot (not just the music).  I think it would go over the heads of many kids and just wouldn't be what they consider enjoyable.  As someone else said, it definitely has some darker themes which could be objectionable to some.  Clearly, you know your kids best and can only make that choice.  They're not exactly the same, but see if they can sit through the movie without a break.  You could use that as a gauge, I suppose.

Updated On: 11/25/15 at 06:19 PM

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#61Lazarus
Posted: 11/25/15 at 6:30pm

I addition to the darker themes, the show is quite violent. To me, stage violence is always more disturbing than TV or movie violence. I would not recommend taking a child to this.

V2David
#62Lazarus
Posted: 11/25/15 at 6:41pm

Just wanted to thank everyone for their comments on this! I certainly don't want to spoil the show for anyone. I don't think I will take my kids though due to any stage violence...  I am really looking forward to the show though!  Thanks!!

Egglondon
#63Lazarus
Posted: 11/25/15 at 7:03pm

Well, I've scored tickets. And on the day I want. Thank you New York. Face value.

I find it intriguing that so many people are unhappy with not totally "getting" this show. It's Bowie. It's not f...in Showboat. He is an intricate and profound artist. You need to take it on the level of a Bowie album. Lap it up and enjoy the sound and vision. Maybe you're not expected to "get" the whole thing. Don't try to compare and you might find something. 

No-one seems to have mentioned his new piece 'Blackstar', just released. Check out the video on YouTube. Tell me if you "get" that?

Updated On: 11/25/15 at 07:03 PM

A.Douglas Profile Photo
A.Douglas
#64Lazarus
Posted: 11/25/15 at 7:15pm

Egglondon said: "Well, I've scored tickets. And on the day I want. Thank you New York. Face value.

I find it intriguing that so many people are unhappy with not totally "getting" this show. It's Bowie. It's not f...in Showboat. He is an intricate and profound artist. You need to take it on the level of a Bowie album. Lap it up and enjoy the sound and vision. Maybe you're not expected to "get" the whole thing. Don't try to compare and you might find something. 

No-one seems to have mentioned his new piece 'Blackstar', just released. Check out the video on YouTube. Tell me if you "get" that?

"

Well, I sure don't understand Blackstar (at least not yet haha). I have to agree, Lazarus is a theatrical experience, not only that, but by David Bowie too. In other words, just sit down, relax, and enjoy this strange, (to some) confusing, and original musical. :)

V2David
#65Lazarus
Posted: 11/25/15 at 7:41pm

Blackstar the song & video are simply brilliant. Yeah, I don't think Bowie fans are expecting a straight-forward musical... Infact, I don't mind it if the whole show is a wonderous WTF. But what I do hope is the show is entertaining...

FindingNamo
#66Lazarus
Posted: 11/25/15 at 7:59pm

No-one seems to have mentioned his new piece 'Blackstar', just released.

Except there's been a thread about it on the Off-Topic board (where it belongs) since the minute it appeared last Thursday.  And it was mentioned the next day in this thread.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#67Lazarus
Posted: 11/25/15 at 10:03pm

I can't imagine any musical will be a "hit' if you have to read something before hand to understand it. Even though it's a sequel - of something I've never heard of - it should stand alone as a show. 

FindingNamo
#68Lazarus
Posted: 11/25/15 at 11:14pm

That's a shame you haven't heard of it.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

neonlightsxo
#69Lazarus
Posted: 12/2/15 at 3:00pm

oncemorewithfeeling2 said: "  Watching this and comparing it to his work of 5 or 6 years ago, you can see that Michael Esper has grown as an actor.  I don't think he was ever bad, but when you think of his musical experiences--American Idiot, The Last Ship, and now Lazarus, his confidence and expression are just so much better now.

"

This is such a strange comment to me, because you literally listed the characters he has played in order of least to most confident. Valentine the character is the most confident character of the three, so I don't really get what you're saying. He's always been excellent.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#70Lazarus
Posted: 12/2/15 at 4:33pm

Esper is an outstanding actor, no doubt. I was referring to his singing and musicality. When I first saw him sing in AI at Berkley Rep, it was rough. His actual singing tone and pitch have improved in my opinion.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#71Lazarus
Posted: 12/2/15 at 4:51pm

The thing that I find most interesting about Mr. Esper's career (in musicals, anyway) is his continuous work and collaborations with major rock stars. Billie Joe Armstrong, Sting, Bowie. And he has always been phenomenal in everything I've seen him in. I'm glad he is continuing his stage work. 

neonlightsxo
#72Lazarus
Posted: 12/2/15 at 4:54pm

oncemorewithfeeling2 said: "Esper is an outstanding actor, no doubt. I was referring to his singing and musicality. When I first saw him sing in AI at Berkley Rep, it was rough. His actual singing tone and pitch have improved in my opinion.

"

OK, fair. He worked on his singing a lot before The Last Ship, yes. But in your post which I already quoted, you specifically wrote "as an actor" not singer as you say here.

GreasedLightning, not only that, but he continues to do straight plays and TV/film in between!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#73Lazarus
Posted: 12/4/15 at 2:32am

Tickets just release for both Saturday and both Sunday performances, not many, but still... and $129 each, but just a heads up...

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#74Lazarus
Posted: 12/4/15 at 4:20am

Esper is not a vocalist. Obviously, this show is selling well, but the ADs are pretty lame.