pixeltracker

THE COLOR PURPLE Previews- Page 5

THE COLOR PURPLE Previews

iluvtheatertrash
#100THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/13/15 at 8:27pm

I had an experience unlike any other yesterday (Thursday). For those of you who were there and heard a fight break out in the orchestra 5 minutes into the show, I apologize. I'm mortified. But I was involved.

I was sitting behind a group. One was wearing a ridiculous hat he refused to remove despite blocking half the stage. The other started taking photos when the show began. I asked her to stop, she cursed me out, threatened to kill me, shoot me, hit me. Lots of witnesses. I went and got the ushers, who NEVER came down front and never did a damn thing. This woman spent the entire first act turning around and whispering she was gonna "Get" me at intermission. I got security at intermission. Despite multiple sources confirming she threatened to shoot and kill me, she was scolded and allowed to stay for the second act. She spent the entire second act dancing and singing along completely over-the-top, and turning around to see if it was bothering me. And, yes, sneaking photos of the show.

I spent my day emailing/calling/tweeting Telecharge, Shubert Org and Color Purple. Their staff was SO lazy and inept, it's astounding. They did absolutely nothing to fix the situation and just allowed it to continue.

It would be nice if they bother to invite me back and apologize, but I'm sadly not expecting much.

I bought my ticket the day they went on the ADVANCE sale. It was a very early Birthday gift from my mom - she knew that it was the one show I was desperate to see. It's a shame that nearly half a year of anticipation had to lead up to such a disappointing night. 

PLEASE do not let the ushers allow the bad behavior to continue. It's upsetting and frustrating, but PLEASE don't be afraid to speak up because of people like this. None of us should have to deal with it.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#101THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/13/15 at 8:46pm

That's awful and so awful that nothing even happened. 

#102THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/13/15 at 9:34pm

^ Wow, I'm so sorry that happened to you! Hearing things like that is infuriating. I hope they get back to you and attempt to remedy the situation.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#103THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/13/15 at 9:51pm

I don't know what the protocol is in New York but in the theatre I work at if I told anyone on our public safety staff that an audience member threatened the life of another she would have been removed from the theatre and possibly questioned by police after.

promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
#104THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/13/15 at 10:09pm

That is absolutely horrifying.  I'm so sorry that happened!

holdyourbatboy
#105THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/13/15 at 10:31pm

I was at the second preview and unfortunately also had a terrible audience experience. Are the ushers asleep? I was in the second row Front Mezz. First a couple walked in 30 minutes late and were on the extreme side of the front row of the Orchestra. Seconds after they sat down, the man reached onto the stage and moved a large set piece over to improve their view. This wasn't good enough, so the man got up again and moved it further over. Ushers did nothing. Actors had to come back in character and move it back in place.  Two ladies in front of me (first row of the Front Mezz) took out very bright camera phones and were taking video and pics through the first 10 minutes. Everyone behind them in the Front Mezz could see. The usher finally came down and asked them to stop. They set them face down with the lights on, ready to be picked up again, the usher rolled her eyes, laughed and walked away. They started up again, and began posting the pics on Facebook during the show. Act Two begins, someone else in the front row Orchestra on the opposite side sets their open Playbill right on edge of the stage. Where actors were walking. It stays there for the majority of the rest of the show, in plain view of the audience. 

The ushers were so ineffective - I hope they can step it up! 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#106THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/13/15 at 10:34pm

"Seconds after they sat down, the man reached onto the stage and moved a large set piece over to improve their view. This wasn't good enough, so the man got up again and moved it further over."

You've go to be f*cking kidding me. 

Updated On: 11/13/15 at 10:34 PM

holdyourbatboy
#107THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/13/15 at 10:57pm

It was CRAZY and everyone around us upstairs couldn't believe it. Even the ladies taking the pics and videos were appalled. It was even crazier that no one did anything. Someone spoke to them at intermission in a very lighthearted way, lots of laughter about it. So shenanigans just continued.

That at being said, Cynthia Erivo is incredible. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#108THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/13/15 at 10:58pm

Id sue

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#109THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/14/15 at 1:22am

Well, not to flame the fire, but in the light of all this racial tension happening, maybe people are just scared to reprimand anyone in fear of being calling countless names? 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#110THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/14/15 at 1:29am

I believe anyone can lose it at the drop of a dime. If you're going to reprimand (speaking in general terms, not about theatertrash) a total stranger, you should prepare for whatever consequences may arise. I don't think it should have anything to do with color, you never know how ANYONE is going to react.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#111THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/14/15 at 1:43am

That's what I'm saying. I can see the usher's hesitation. Although, c'mon. It's their job. 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#112THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/14/15 at 3:05am

There should be no hesitation. It's not the ushers job to confront a patron like that. In a situation involving any kind of threats, verbal or otherwise, the public safety manager should be immediately notified and he or she would be the one to take control of the situation not the usher.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#113THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/14/15 at 6:55am

based on the lack of discipline from the ushers, I guess we can expect bootlegs of the show to start popping up. This sounds terrible, poor audience behavior can really ruin a show.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#114THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/14/15 at 7:42am

Interesting we only hear about bad audience behavior at this show. Never seen such strong comments about other shows.

Not to pull the racial card, is it simply the type of audience member that attends this show is not the typical theater goer? 

Not to be confused with Dave19.
Updated On: 11/14/15 at 07:42 AM

anmiller07 Profile Photo
anmiller07
#115THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/14/15 at 8:00am

You mean like...we only hear about negative audience behavior at other shows? No one comes on here to post that the audience was super well behaved.....there have been crazy people at all different types of Broadway shows and people post on here about then frequently. So if you're it trying to pull the racial card, what card is it?

iluvtheatertrash
#116THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/14/15 at 8:45am

I would normally respond and say that their race AND mine has nothing to do with the conversation. But since they accused me of being a racist and referred to me as "white boy" about 20 times, I guess it does have a lot to do with it. I reminded them that had I been a racist, I wouldn't have spent so much to see The Color Purple. 

I'm not blaming their behavior on their race, though, because I don't believe the two are linked. There are badly behaved people in EVERY race/creed/etc.

And for those asking, I got the ushers because I didn't know where to find the security guards. The ushers promised to send the security guards over - no one ever came for all of Act One. At intermission I sought out the house manager who then sent a security guard over. They placated me, treated me like a child, and allowed a woman making violent threats to stay for the second act. It was appalling. A total nightmare. And some of the worst behavior in a theatre I've ever seen. 

ArtMan
#117THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/14/15 at 8:48am

Iluvtheatretrash, Sorry to hear this happened.  I don't understand why you didn't get the house manager and a police officer involved?  At this point, your show experience was already ruined.  You really couldn't have enjoyed the show from that point on....  I assume you live in NYC.  I would have just demanded a refund/or tickets for another performance.  If anything, getting the police officer involved would have ruined the experience of this women, who was clearly enjoying her treatment of you.  Doesn't matter what color...to threaten to kill someone because you asked them to put away their camera,  she is an ANIMAL and many other choice expletives.

iluvtheatertrash
#118THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/14/15 at 8:56am

To be entirely honest, ArtMan, I was mortified, beat-red, and very upset. I'm 29, was by myself, and felt incredibly uncomfortable. She got so loud when I asked her to put her phone away that actors on stage were looking over at us. I was mortified and didn't want to draw any more attention away from the stage and to us. 

What was so troubling about it wasn't her initial response, but the continued behavior. Constantly turning around to whisper she was gonna "get" me", telling me I better run when the show was over, flipping me the bird over her shoulder, leaning to her friends and whispering "I'm gonna beat the sh*t out of that fag". It was really just out of control.

While you're right, I probably should've demanded that they called the police, between being embarrassed (I go to theatre at least 5x a week and nothing like this has ever happened to me) and being frightened that it was them against me, I just sat in my seat and took it. What I don't understand is why the house manager and security team didn't call the police. Once the people next to and behind me confirmed that she threatened to kill, shoot and hit me, that should've been their next course of action. But instead they said they'd be right in the corner under the right box, watching, and ready to intervene. They stood there for the first song and then I watched them walk away. That's when she started again. By that point, there was 30 minutes left in the show and I didn't want to disturb the other people around me - who had been disturbed enough - anymore. 

And ljay, I agree with you that I should've been better prepared for the consequences. But why shouldn't we be allowed to ask people to turn off their phones, or take off their hats, or stop talking? At these prices, there's just no excuse for putting up with that kind of BS.

ArtMan
#119THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/14/15 at 9:19am

See that is my point.  No show is worth the emotions you went through.  You have nothing to be embarrassed about.   That is why you should have left the performance at that point and came back another night (at the theatre's expense).  That piece of **** was enjoying her treatment of you more than she was enjoying the show.  She was getting off on knowing she was bothering you.  This management was completely in the wrong. Customer safety should be their first priority.  Doesn't matter if it is a spill on the floor that may cause someone to fall or more importantly a personal threat from another audience member.  That is how you handle the resolution with top management.  (all part of their General Liability policy)  They owe you at the very least an apology of how their team handled the situation.  BTW,  if she would have harmed you inside the theatre after making management aware of the situation,  an attorney call would be my first priority.

anmiller07 Profile Photo
anmiller07
#120THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/14/15 at 9:29am

Has anyone from the production/theater/Telecharge responded to you yet?

ArtMan
#121THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/14/15 at 9:33am

Telecharge would have nothing to do with the situation.  I wouldn't even waste the time and energy going that route.  He should start with the theater management and if gets no resolution...the owners.

Updated On: 11/14/15 at 09:33 AM

Blactor
#122THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/14/15 at 10:32am

I know it offends our Liberal and Progressive sensibilities, Evic is absolutely right:

The Black population, generally, does not go to the theater regularly, and thus is unfamiliar with theatre etiquette. It isn't racist to point it out, and reflexively labeling such commentary as "racist" is a surefire way to make sure that nothing ever gets done about it. 

I applaud Iluvtheatertrash for actually standing up to this woman and saying something, because most people wouldn't. And I'm willing to bet that the theater management will do absolutely nothing about it, no matter how many complaints they receive, because somehow someone will criticize any measures taken to combat the issue as "racist". 

If patrons are reaching up onto the stage and moving pieces of the set, that is a potential safety issue for both the actor and the patron, and theater management should do something about it. If people are being loud and disruptive during the show, theater management should do something about it. The problem is that if more and more stories come out like this, and people complain, and the management forces the ushers to crack down on them, I can guarantee that someone, somewhere, will twist it into an issue of "why is the management at an all-black show that is attracting a huge black audience being extra-harsh on that audience?"

And the answer will be, inevitably, that the theatre management is somehow "racist". Call me a pessimist, but that's how I see this playing out, should these issues continue.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#123THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/14/15 at 10:46am

I think the race think may be muddled by terminology.

It is widely acknowledged that different CULTURES react to theatre in different ways: we know Japanese audiences in Japan sit in polite silence till the end of a show before showing appreciation; in Italy there is a tradition of heckling in opera.  It's a question of what people grow up to be accustomed to, (after all 'you have to be carefully taught'THE COLOR PURPLE Previews.

So clearly different CULTURES can behave differently and I think that may be where a vague generalization could be applied to what is happening at The Color Purple.  That said, the misbehaviour on this occasion is way beyond the scale of mere cultural difference.

Sadly the shift towards the sense of "entitlement" of the individual in recent years seems to be a great excuse for selfishness and bigotry.

Blactor
#124THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/14/15 at 10:53am

Yes, different cultures do react to theatre in different ways. On the whole, serious theater-going is NOT a part of Black American culture, unless a touring "Chitlin' Circuit" show comes to town. They simply don't have years of experience and education as far as etiquette. Of course, I stress that this is speaking in generalities (although it should be quite obvious).

As a performer it is a double-edged sword. Sometimes a majority Black audience can invigorate a show, as the instant feedback and expressiveness can really make things fun. On the other hand--and reports from "Fences", "Trip to Bountiful" "Streetcar" can attest to this...hell I was sitting behind someone eating both fried chicken AND popcorn at Bart Sher's "Joe Turner" revival--a lot of times it can get way out of hand, and disrupt the experience for both performers and audience.

Updated On: 11/14/15 at 10:53 AM