pixeltracker

DADDY LONG LEGS to stream LIVE online- Page 4

DADDY LONG LEGS to stream LIVE online

broadwayguy2
#75DADDY LONG LEGS to stream LIVE online
Posted: 12/11/15 at 7:28pm

To be honest, I am not sure that a one act format for this show would be wise.

in the production, specifically, most of the intermission is taken up by stagehands presenting extensive props and set dressing  for act two. This is, obviously, in full view and not speculation.

but in general, the show is a two handed and deceptively simple, but I would not want to put that added stress on the two actors. McGinnis, for one, has several carafes of water on the stage and she readily drinks through them when the focus is in Jervis. I imagine a restroom break would be welcome mid-show since she has to keep her voice so well lubricated to produce her sound,

intermissions are often there for dramatic purpose, but just as often there for technical reasons as well.

wonkit
#76DADDY LONG LEGS to stream LIVE online
Posted: 12/11/15 at 11:02pm

Just watched it this afternoon, and enjoyed it tremendously. The movie version was genuinely creepy because Astaire was simply too old to be a love interest for a younger woman. The "daddy" references hit the ear badly until you realize that this is her fanciful  nickname for someone she has never met and is making up in her head as a father figure. I thought both of the actors in this cast were excellent but McGinnis is breathtakingly good. I am so glad I watched this. 

broadwayboy223
#77DADDY LONG LEGS to stream LIVE online
Posted: 12/12/15 at 1:20am

I watched this today and fell in love with the show and performances. Great acting and singing from both Megan and her husband. They made me care about the characters. I thought the score was lovely. Will be looking into Paul Gordon's other works. 

GreenSharpie Profile Photo
GreenSharpie
#78DADDY LONG LEGS to stream LIVE online
Posted: 12/12/15 at 3:34am

I'm so glad I ended up watching this, it was lovely. Stayed with me all day. I really hope this live-streaming model becomes a common practice, especially to promote lesser-known shows. The streaming quality truly blew me away.

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#79DADDY LONG LEGS to stream LIVE online
Posted: 12/18/15 at 3:06am

On Twitter the show is asking for survey feedback about the livestream: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CT365GL. Completing the survey might go some small way towards encouraging this sort of thing to happen more in the future.

Pootie2
#80DADDY LONG LEGS to stream LIVE online
Posted: 12/19/15 at 1:17pm

No data. Instead, Davenport is offering a big ticket discount... https://www.theproducersperspective.com/a-livestreaming-thank-you-from-ken-davenport

Unfortunately, doing that immediately renders his goal to disprove "naysayers who think streaming isn't a ticket buying motivator" completely null and void. There would be no way to differentiate "saw the livestream" and "bought tix because CHEAP" in this case.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#81DADDY LONG LEGS to stream LIVE online
Posted: 12/19/15 at 2:14pm

Pootie2 said: "No data. Instead, Davenport is offering a big ticket discount... "

Well, he did say he would be releasing the data on Tuesday in his blog post. I think he's trying to get some press to run with it before releasing it.

Pootie2 said: "Unfortunately, doing that immediately renders his goal to disprove "naysayers who think streaming isn't a ticket buying motivator" completely null and void. There would be no way to differentiate "saw the livestream" and "bought tix because CHEAP" in this case."

That is supposed to be a link/page only sent to Livestreamers, no? So, one imagines the Telecharge Offers code for this discount differs from others that may exist? Will non-streamers find it and use it? Sure, but still will get some idea of the impact, one might imagine...

NeverSoShy
#82DADDY LONG LEGS to stream LIVE online
Posted: 12/21/15 at 3:19pm

Does anybody know whether anyone managed to save a copy of the livestream?

VintageSnarker
#83DADDY LONG LEGS to stream LIVE online
Posted: 12/22/15 at 1:50pm

Has anyone else read Davenport's post yet? 150,055 feels like a low number. I don't mean that it seems incorrect. I just thought maybe they could/should have been able to get more people to watch. 

Also, these don't exactly seem like positives... 

"Imagine how many people would tune in if we put dollars behind it?"

"The average age of our livestream viewer was 46.6 years old.  The average age of the Broadway theatergoing audience according to Broadway League demographics is 44 years old."

As a brief reminder, I really like Daddy Long Legs. I've seen it live twice. I happened to not be home on the night of the livestream or I probably would have watched it. And I hope they do more of this kind of thing in the future. I just don't think it was a massive success.

NeverSoShy
#84DADDY LONG LEGS to stream LIVE online
Posted: 12/22/15 at 2:14pm

I don't know whether I was living in a bit of a hole in the weeks before the live stream (which I may have been, my final year of university has been pretty full on!), but I didn't see as much promotion for it as I might have expected to. With this and the fact that it's not a 'big-name musical', I think that 150k is a pretty decent amount of viewers. Maybe another repeat viewing a week after the initial recording might have helped so some word of mouth could have spread about how good the production was.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#85DADDY LONG LEGS to stream LIVE online
Posted: 12/22/15 at 6:33pm

I hadn't seen the show before the livestream, but I read the book as a child. I wasn't a fan of the score. A lot of songs that sounded very similar. I think the fact that it was a two-person show only added to it. At least other two-handers like The Last 5 Years mix up the tone of the songs to make it less than repetitive. It was hard to tell when one song ended and the other began. I know the guy who wrote the score has written other shows I wasn't a fan of, so maybe his music just isn't my thing. To each their own.

I wouldn't have bothered to see it- let alone check out the score- if it wasn't free. I'm not sure what the goal of the livestream was. To be the first? To sell cast recordings? I don't know how this is a viable business practice.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Pootie2
#86DADDY LONG LEGS to stream LIVE online
Posted: 12/22/15 at 8:36pm

150k viewers is quite good when translated to actual bodies in the theater. That said...

orangeskittles said: "I wouldn't have bothered to see it- let alone check out the score- if it wasn't free. I'm not sure what the goal of the livestream was. To be the first? To sell cast recordings? I don't know how this is a viable business practice."

Davenport explains their reasons in the blog post: mainly to "accelerate word-of-mouth." It's not a viable business practice (yet?). But given this experiment, livestreaming or any streaming would serve two purposes: Additional marketing to get more butts into seats as well as other sales, and pay-per-view revenue.

As I posited earlier, the fact that Davenport decided to offer a big discount post-livestream would dirty his data, so ticket sales as a measure of livestream marketing for butts-in-seats wouldn't be accurate. But he doesn't give data for that anyway, so fair enough.

As for other stats, the 10-day post-livestream 484% cast album sale increase sounds good (but of course he doesn't share what pre-stream seals looked like over what period). The stat "82.2% said they would PAY for the experience of livestreaming a Broadway or Off Broadway show" sounds good too, but survey data attempting to predict the future just isn't very interesting to me. Someone still has to take the next step and try to charge a fee; maybe we're waiting on that live theater streaming news from some months ago. And then someone will copy it and spread it for free to people like NeverSoShy who ask for a link. cheeky

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#87DADDY LONG LEGS to stream LIVE online
Posted: 12/22/15 at 9:42pm

and if you believe any of those stats I have a bridge I'd like to sell you...