pixeltracker

Hamilton's "Satisfied" the best unrequited Broadway love song ever?- Page 3

Hamilton's "Satisfied" the best unrequited Broadway love song ever?

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#50Hamilton's
Posted: 12/30/15 at 12:06pm

@hellob-sorry for the mis-attribution of the 1st quote. Regarding what's used in schools, my point is that nothing relating the Angelica is a part of the "knowledge" imparted in any history lesson. Her presence in the play serves a dramatic purpose but not a historical one, and the main significance of her to historians is the content of the letters between her and Hamilton. Precious little of the actual lives of women makes its way into American history, and Miranda has clearly invented much of it. What would concern me would be if the essential history of the founding fathers was altered, and I don't think it is in any material way. That said, of course, Chernow has a take on Hamilton and on the others that is not aligned with other historians and vice versa-which is the point of his book and the show. What I mean by that is that when you read or watch shows about the period elsewhere, you often get a different assessment of Hamilton, Jefferson, Adams etc. The only founding father who really gets put on a pedestal is Washington. Although Hamilton is elevated by Hamilton, the net effect of Hamilton is most flattering to Washington. 

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#51Hamilton's
Posted: 12/30/15 at 1:38pm

HogansHero said: "@hellob-sorry for the mis-attribution of the 1st quote. Regarding what's used in schools, my point is that nothing relating the Angelica is a part of the "knowledge" imparted in any history lesson. Her presence in the play serves a dramatic purpose but not a historical one, and the main significance of her to historians is the content of the letters between her and Hamilton. Precious little of the actual lives of women makes its way into American history, and Miranda has clearly invented much of it. What would concern me would be if the essential history of the founding fathers was altered, and I don't think it is in any material way. That said, of course, Chernow has a take on Hamilton and on the others that is not aligned with other historians and vice versa-which is the point of his book and the show. What I mean by that is that when you read or watch shows about the period elsewhere, you often get a different assessment of Hamilton, Jefferson, Adams etc. The only founding father who really gets put on a pedestal is Washington. Although Hamilton is elevated by Hamilton, the net effect of Hamilton is most flattering to Washington. 

"

Yes, I remember you telling me more about her in a question I had a few months ago and it made me research her more. Your info was so helpful and then I went down the rabbit hole and quit when I  found out about Theodosia. 

dtlajim
#52Hamilton's
Posted: 12/30/15 at 2:43pm

Boy do I hear you on Hamilton. The music would be fine for a "B-side" of a Beyonce type singers single... not very memorable.

"Hamilton" is bringing so-so hip hop music to middle-class, mostly White, people and they are beside themselves with praise "discovering" Black music that's been popular since the 80's finally has been made palatable to their cultural and historical tastes.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#53Hamilton's
Posted: 12/30/15 at 4:14pm

dtlajim said: "Boy do I hear you on Hamilton. The music would be fine for a "B-side" of a Beyonce type singers single... not very memorable.

"Hamilton" is bringing so-so hip hop music to middle-class, mostly White, people and they are beside themselves with praise "discovering" Black music that's been popular since the 80's finally has been made palatable to their cultural and historical tastes."

Fascinating how you seem to know more about these genres than the people who actually make the music in them that, you know, win grammys and things like that. But haters gonna find their own way to hate. 

#54Hamilton's
Posted: 12/30/15 at 7:08pm

Unworthy of Your Love from Assassins. 

aaaaaa15
#55Hamilton's
Posted: 12/30/15 at 7:47pm

Hilarious how people seem to think that Hamilton fans have never heard or enjoyed hip-hop and R&B music before - two of the most popular music genres of current times. Lin is not the only human capable of enjoying both showtunes and rap in equal measure. Also that people believe that a rap song about love has never existed before. There's thousands. And no I'm not talking about the ones about sex.

The Hamilton score is infinitely better than most of Beyonce's music. 'Helpless', for example, was inspired by Beyonce's 'Countdown' and is greatly improved upon the original. 

All that said, I don't think 'Satisfied' counts as an unrequited love song and even if it did, 'Unworthy of Your Love' would still be my favorite.

Updated On: 12/30/15 at 07:47 PM

Mike66
#56Hamilton's
Posted: 12/30/15 at 9:38pm

If you are looking for unrequited love (rather than lost love), there's never been better than "Poor Jud is Dead" from Oklahoma.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#57Hamilton's
Posted: 1/3/16 at 1:09am

Mike66 said: "If you are looking for unrequited love (rather than lost love), there's never been better than "Poor Jud is Dead" from Oklahoma.

What a brilliant thought. That came to me, too, but I picked "Lonely Room." Great minds....

The Jud character has kept me from embracing Oklahoma as much as the other R&H greats. Hammerstein, usually so sympathetic to the human condition, created a one dimensional monster in this man, giving him no hope of redemption.

An unrequited love song requires a specific individual that is the object of the love and does not return it. That is why the greatest unrequited love song is Ray Charles' "You Don't Know Me." It doesn't qualify as Broadway yet, but inevitably a Ray Charles jukebox show will hit the Great White Way and I guess that means that all songs used in the show are part of the "score."

https://www.google.com/search?espv=2&biw=1514&bih=765&q=youtube+ray+charles+you+don%27t+know+me&oq=youtube+ray+charles+you+don%27t+know+me&gs_l=serp.12...0.0.0.9213.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1..64.serp..0.0.0.a1ezgNyudYM

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#58Hamilton's
Posted: 1/3/16 at 1:43am

Similarly, I feel the same way about " I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face" which remarkably ends the show.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#59Hamilton's
Posted: 1/3/16 at 2:21am

Yeah, what a brilliant way for HIggins to admit his love for her without going anywhere near the work "love."

Lerner was just a brilliant lyricist in that show. "The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain."

Harriet Craig Profile Photo
Harriet Craig
#60Hamilton's
Posted: 1/3/16 at 2:28pm

"Time Heals Everything", from Mack and Mabel

"If I Love Again", from the 1933 show, Hold Your Horses (probably best known for having been sung by Streisand in Funny Lady and more recently recorded by Barbara Cook)

"He Was Too Good to Me" (calling it a "Broadway love song" may be a bit of a stretch, because it was dropped from Simple Simon before the show opened, but, hey, it was originaly written for a Broadway show and it's too good a song not to include)

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#61Hamilton's
Posted: 1/3/16 at 3:02pm

OlBlueEyes said: "Yeah, what a brilliant way for HIggins to admit his love for her without going anywhere near the work "love."

Lerner was just a brilliant lyricist in that show. "The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain.""

"The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain." Hamilton's To be fair, Lerner didn't come up with that sentence; it was used in the Pygmalion movie many years before, too.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire
Updated On: 1/3/16 at 03:02 PM

Mike66
#62My Fair Lady's dilemma
Posted: 1/3/16 at 6:20pm

I trust that must of you know why My Fair Lady ends the way it does?

For many years, GB Shaw refused to allow the ending in Pygmalion to be changed, and the wise people on Broadway/West End declined to "tell it like it was."  Shaw died in 1950, and after that a "compromise" was reached.

Eliza's wedding to Freddie would not be shown in the stage adaptation, but the Shaw estate refused to bend any further.

So, as you will all recall, Higgins comes to center stage, sings the marvelous "I've grown accustomed to her face (or in Rex Harrison's case, speaks it....), the music comes up, and Eliza enters from the rear carrying his slippers.  Curtain.

As to what might have happened "after that," the audience is welcome to make its own assumptions.....

(Of course my High School English teacher put as the first question on the "Pygmalion" quiz, the following question -- "At the end of the play, Eliza ........  I flunked.)

m

After Eight
#63My Fair Lady's dilemma
Posted: 1/3/16 at 10:08pm

Just imagine if someone had mentioned "Just Imagine" from Good News.

That would have been good news, indeed.

Unfortunately, nowadays, that would be impossible to imagine.

FindingNamo
#64My Fair Lady's dilemma
Posted: 1/3/16 at 10:11pm

Only for people like you who lack imagination.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#65My Fair Lady's dilemma
Posted: 1/3/16 at 10:33pm

How have more people not mentioned "Losing My Mind" in this thread? That's pretty much the gold standard for this type of song as far as I'm concerned  

Nothing in Hamilton, Satisfied or otherwise, comes close to what Sondheim accomplished in that song. 

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#66My Fair Lady's dilemma
Posted: 1/3/16 at 11:33pm

The original poster is delusional. Satisfied is a fine song, but there is no real emotional content. It doesn't break MY heart, which is, in essence, MY problem with Hamilton. It doesn't move ME emotionally. I love the score, the staging is good, the design very "cool." But ... I left feeling nothing.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#67My Fair Lady's dilemma
Posted: 1/4/16 at 12:19am

"The original poster is delusional."

The original poster could just as easily say the same thing about you. But to what end? Some songs and some shows move some people and not others. Nothing new in that, and nothing delusional. What of the many people who have said that they were deeply moved by Hamilton? Are they delusional too? 

This is just another dumb thread where people feel the need to rank things that have no need to compete with one another in the first place. And now it is somehow provides a license to call people names.

HamfourHam
#68My Fair Lady's dilemma
Posted: 1/4/16 at 1:00am

When did Jay say people who were touched by Hamilton were delusional? He didn't. He was giving his OWN opinion which clearly you can't seem to handle. But this is nothing new from you. Funny that you mention calling people names when you are the only person in this thread that attacked someone for voicing his critical opinion of Hamilton. 

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#69My Fair Lady's dilemma
Posted: 1/4/16 at 1:23am

Mike66 said: "I trust that must of you know why My Fair Lady ends the way it does?

Thanks, Mike. 

I took a course on Shaw and Oscar Wilde a long time ago as an undergraduate. We didn't take on Pygmalion, and I thought that Shaw had agreed to the ending of the musical.

Old GBS must be out of favor. Don't see or hear of his plays being produced much anymore.

I remember being very impressed by the Don Juan in Hell subset of Man and Superman.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#70My Fair Lady's dilemma
Posted: 1/4/16 at 1:31am

Wipe that smirk off your face, Colonel Hogan. You are not one of those who believes that criticism of certain public performances, such as the score to Hamilton, makes one a member of the Klan, or an aide to Senator McCarthy.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#71My Fair Lady's dilemma
Posted: 1/4/16 at 1:34am

HamfourHam said: "When did Jay say people who were touched by Hamilton were delusional? "

When he said "The original poster is delusional."

"He didn't. "

Come again?

"He was giving his OWN opinion which clearly you can't seem to handle."

His own opinion? His own opinion that another poster is delusional. 

"But this is nothing new from you. Funny that you mention calling people names when you are the only person in this thread that attacked someone for voicing his critical opinion of Hamilton. "

You are wrong. If you care to look you will see that I have never attacked anyone for their opinion. ever. regarding anything.  I have strongly criticized people for saying things that make no sense, are factually untrue, are lame, are lazy or just stupid. And I have strongly expressed my own opinions. But if you have any sense of me from my postings, you would know that attacking opinions is something I call people out on regularly, because we are all entitled to our opinions. And my opinion is that you have posted arrant nonsense.

"

HamfourHam
#72My Fair Lady's dilemma
Posted: 1/4/16 at 1:56am

You have not criticized people for making no sense. You have criticized people that were critical of Hamilton because you can't seem to take any negative opinions on this show. And what Jay said makes complete sense. Hamilton is a nice show but it doesn't touch him on an emotional level. That's what he was saying and I happen to agree. Seriously, there's no way you aren't working for this show. No one is this obsessed about defending any little criticism about a show that they aren't working on. 

Updated On: 1/4/16 at 01:56 AM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#73My Fair Lady's dilemma
Posted: 1/4/16 at 2:13am

HamfourHam said: "You have not criticized people for making no sense. You have criticized people that were critical of Hamilton because you can't seem to take any negative opinions on this show." 

The way this works is that when you make a statement, it's supposed to be true. What you say above is not true and there is not a single place where you can find evidence to the contrary.

"And what Jay said makes complete sense. Hamilton is a nice show but it doesn't touch him on an emotional level. That's what he was saying and I happen to agree."

Once again, try tethering your comment to reality. That is not what Jay said. He said the OP was delusional, and that's why I called him out. I couldn't care less whether the 2 of you or anyone else likes dislikes or is indifferent to Hamilton. Everyone gets to like what they like, even someone as thickheaded as you.  

"Seriously, there's no way you aren't working for this show. No one is this obsessed about defending any little criticism about a show that they aren't working on. "

I can assure you I am not, and if you took the trouble to look at the history of my posts on here you would never say that. But of course you have been a member for all of 96 hours and haven't quite caught on to the ways of avoiding spewing nonsense. BTW, you on Jay's payroll? Looks like you are. Or is it possible, just possible, that you ARE Jay. Yeah, maybe that's it.

"

HamfourHam
#74My Fair Lady's dilemma
Posted: 1/4/16 at 2:18am

You're insane. Jay said Hamilton doesn't touch him on an emotional level and then you went all cray cray as usual. And I have seen your posts, you get this way everytime someone is critical of Hamilton. It's like you really can't stand it if someone has something negative to say about the show. It's incredibly childish. You definitely give Hamilton fans a bad name.