pixeltracker

Hamilton's "Satisfied" the best unrequited Broadway love song ever?- Page 4

Hamilton's "Satisfied" the best unrequited Broadway love song ever?

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#75My Fair Lady's dilemma
Posted: 1/4/16 at 2:42am

I already quoted what Jay said that I reacted to. Here it is one more time:

"The original poster is delusional."

As I said, I don't care if Hamilton touched him or not. Different strokes for different folks. That is not what I criticized him for. If you can't understand what's objectionable about the sentence I quoted, a second time and now bold, then it is the preceding song title that describes your situation. 

AEA AGMA SM
#76My Fair Lady's dilemma
Posted: 1/4/16 at 4:07am

OlBlueEyes said: "Old GBS must be out of favor. Don't see or hear of his plays being produced much anymore.

I remember being very impressed by the Don Juan in Hell subset of Man and Superman."

He still seems to be doing all right. Since 2000 there have been four revivals of his plays on Broadway (Major Barbara in 2001, Heart Break House in 2006, Pygmalion in 2007, and Mrs. Warren's Profession in 2010). Not to mention the festival that still bears his name ever summer in Niagara-on-the-Lake.

Movidude742 Profile Photo
Movidude742
#77My Fair Lady's dilemma
Posted: 1/4/16 at 4:54am

adamgreer said: "How have more people not mentioned "Losing My Mind" in this thread? That's pretty much the gold standard for this type of song as far as I'm concerned  

Nothing in Hamilton, Satisfied or otherwise, comes close to what Sondheim accomplished in that song."

Did you opt to not read the thread because that was mentioned more than once in the (only) 3 pages so far.

I wonder if the people who are not attached to the number are mostly ones who have not seen it live.  There is a literal rewind where they re-enact the scene where they met, but from her perspective and not Alexander's.  That visual certainly heightened the connection to what was going on, at least for me and some others that I have discussed this with after the show.  I do not usually connect to choreography but this show is so enhanced by the dance and movement that I cannot imagine it without.  

Oh and one other fudging of the history is that when Alexander entered into the lives of Eliza and Angelica, she was already married to John Church.  That said, the lyric Angelica sings that if Eliza loved her she would share him is based on a letter Angelica did write to her sister.  Angelica told Elizabeth that she loved Hamilton "very much and, if you were as generous as the old Romans, you would lend him to me for a little while."   http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/hamilton/peopleevents/p_e_hamilton.html

mistermanifesto Profile Photo
mistermanifesto
#78My Fair Lady's dilemma
Posted: 1/5/16 at 1:31am

hork said: "Hamilton22 said: "My favorite lyrics from the song: I’m a girl in a world in which
My only job is to marry rich
My father has no sons so I’m the one
Who has to social climb for one
So I’m the oldest and the wittiest and the gossip in
New York City is insidious

Ah, the part where she rhymes "one" with "one." Gotcha."

Are you completely oblivious to the internal rhymes and the context of this verse? It's so much more complex than Eponine where she is thinking about social class (and how he is poor and he may have an angle because of it), her future and what is expected of her as being part upper class. Also, it's the fact that it's her sister. Not just some floozy but she's putting her happiness before hers. It's a complex character where there is the tip of the iceberg but it isn't until Satisfied when you realize what's been bubbling under and how analytical she is. 

Updated On: 1/5/16 at 01:31 AM

Anshel2 Profile Photo
Anshel2
#79My Fair Lady's dilemma
Posted: 1/5/16 at 1:15pm

Is it really unrequited love though?  SPOILER - Angelica and Hamilton are attracted to one another and she rejects HIM because he has no standing or money and introduces him to Eliza.  At no time does Hamilton reject Angelica.  If anything, if Hamilton loved her, it was Hamilton's love for Angelica that was rejected.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#80My Fair Lady's dilemma
Posted: 1/5/16 at 2:00pm

Anshel2 said: "SPOILER - Angelica and Hamilton are attracted to one another and she rejects HIM because he has no standing or money and introduces him to Eliza."

This is literally false...?

Updated On: 1/5/16 at 02:00 PM

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#81My Fair Lady's dilemma
Posted: 1/5/16 at 2:51pm

Well, it's kind of true in that she recognizes that, in her position, she shouldn't go with Hamilton because he's poor and looking to marry one of them for their social position, and since she has no brothers and is the oldest, it's her duty to marry rich, which Hamilton is not. It's not so much a rejection as it is a calculated move. She knows that they want each other and would be an amazingly brilliant team but socially and financially she needs to say no.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#82My Fair Lady's dilemma
Posted: 1/5/16 at 3:04pm

I assume what Concierge is alluding to is the divergence between the circumstances in the show and those in reality.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#83My Fair Lady's dilemma
Posted: 1/5/16 at 3:07pm

^That's phrased much more appropriately and correctly, thanks, Charley. The only time Angelica flat-out "rejects" Hamilton, as Anshel2 put it, is when she returns from London after the Reynolds pamphlet is published. Instead of returning to his aid, she returns exclusively to support her sister. That was the only decision she made in their relationship that was a straight-up effort to spurn Hamilton. Otherwise, everything else was pragmatic/realistic in nature with the long-term in mind.

Mike66
#84Fiction is, um fiction
Posted: 1/5/16 at 5:32pm

While Hamilton is a truly fabulous show, and "Satisfied" is a genuine showstopper, let's remember that this part of the show is fiction.  Angelica, age 21, eloped with her soon to be husband John Church in 1777, and gave birth to her first child in Boston in 1778 before the family moved to Europe.

Hamilton and Eliza were married in 1780. 

hork Profile Photo
hork
#85Fiction is, um fiction
Posted: 1/5/16 at 7:33pm

mistermanifesto said: "hork said: "Hamilton22 said: "My favorite lyrics from the song: I’m a girl in a world in which
My only job is to marry rich
My father has no sons so I’m the one
Who has to social climb for one
So I’m the oldest and the wittiest and the gossip in
New York City is insidious

Ah, the part where she rhymes "one" with "one." Gotcha."

Are you completely oblivious to the internal rhymes and the context of this verse? It's so much more complex than Eponine where she is thinking about social class (and how he is poor and he may have an angle because of it), her future and what is expected of her as being part upper class. Also, it's the fact that it's her sister. Not just some floozy but she's putting her happiness before hers. It's a complex character where there is the tip of the iceberg but it isn't until Satisfied when you realize what's been bubbling under and how analytical she is. 

"Complex" doesn't mean better. I don't even think it's particularly complex. She turned him down because he's poor but she still wants him. There's not much more to it than that. And anyway, who is more sympathetic: a rich girl who gives the man she loves to her sister because he's poor, or a poor girl with horrible parents who helplessly watches the man she loves woo another woman while practically ignoring her? I have no sympathy for Angelica. "On My Own" is one of the most beautiful songs ever written, and one of the great Broadway melodies (especially that exquisite D-C#-D-E-F#-D-F# part ... God, that's gorgeous). What is "Satisfied," a mediocre Beyonce song that scarcely even has a melody, to that?

Videos