pixeltracker

Tony Yazbeck replacing Matt Morrison- Page 2

Tony Yazbeck replacing Matt Morrison

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#25Tony Yazbeck replacing Matt Morrison
Posted: 1/27/16 at 2:58am

Can someone answer my 'dancing' question?  Been going to musicals since Bye Bye Birdie[my first] and never really thought about this till I saw a clip of Matthew Morrison doing a number with the boys[that REALLY didn't come out right]. Anyway, not knowing the show[apart from the wonderful movie] or the music, the moment Mr Morrison started dancing he became this completely different all singing all dancing 'character', and then morphed back to being a simple Scottish family man..

Don't know why this has bothered me so much-was it because I didn't like Mr Morrison/his style of dancing or just someone who shouldn't dance like Fred Astaire-- Mr Yazback wears that crown.

Thinking too much?? Just accept the fantasy?

Please explain ,as one of our female politicians always used to say[say that with an Australian accent-think you might smile].

Thanks

SL.....x

Updated On: 1/27/16 at 02:58 AM

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#26Tony Yazbeck replacing Matt Morrison
Posted: 1/27/16 at 10:14am

Holy hell has anyone else seen the photos snapped of Tony with his beard? If not, do so right away...so handsome!

KathyNYC2
#27Tony Yazbeck replacing Matt Morrison
Posted: 1/27/16 at 10:38am

There are links to the photos earlier in this thread a few posts up..^^

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#28Tony Yazbeck replacing Matt Morrison
Posted: 1/27/16 at 10:40am

KathyNYC2 said: "There are links to the photos earlier in this thread a few posts up..^^"

AH my bad...I just got so flustered seeing them I must have blacked out and not seen the post.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#29Tony Yazbeck replacing Matt Morrison
Posted: 1/27/16 at 10:52am

Could they not get a tail-coat to fit him?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#30Tony Yazbeck replacing Matt Morrison
Posted: 1/27/16 at 10:56am

^yeah. The sleeves are long on him. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

mamaleh
#31Tony Yazbeck replacing Matt Morrison
Posted: 1/27/16 at 11:38am

How is Tony Y.'s Scottish accent?

nycncbrguy
#32Tony Yazbeck replacing Matt Morrison
Posted: 1/27/16 at 11:39am

devonian.t said: "Could they not get a tail-coat to fit him?

"

Wow! I can't believe their Wardrobe Department sent the Star of their show out in such an ill fitting jacket!!! 

Back Row
#33Tony Yazbeck replacing Matt Morrison
Posted: 1/27/16 at 12:52pm

Anyway, not knowing the show[apart from the wonderful movie] or the music, the moment Mr Morrison started dancing he became this completely different all singing all dancing 'character', and then morphed back to being a simple Scottish family man..

Yeah, that bugged me, too. In all fairness, I was only judging from that clip, but it did seem like he took a detour into vanity during that number. I saw Jeremy Jordan in Cambridge and I think the fact that he's not a trained dancer worked well for the character. Perhaps Morrison reined in his "Hey, look it me! I'm Matt effin' Morrison!!" urge  and played it more as J.M. Barrie later in the run, but that one clip did bother me a bit. He's a terrific dancer and I'm sure it's difficult to dumb that down, but it did take him out of character for a moment. 

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#34Tony Yazbeck replacing Matt Morrison
Posted: 1/27/16 at 2:49pm

Thanks BackRow---I'm pleased I wasn't alone with that thought--and you expressed it so much better---at least you understood what I was trying to say.

SL....xx

theatreguy12
#35Tony Yazbeck replacing Matt Morrison
Posted: 1/27/16 at 11:30pm

As if Yazbeck isn't already hot enough as it is!

So the beard makes him look pretty good too, huh?

No surprises there.  

Heard him interviewed once and he comes off as a real romantic. A throwback to the golden age of musicals.  That is one lucky lady who calls him hubby!  Tony Yazbeck replacing Matt Morrison

Call_me_jorge
#36Tony Yazbeck replacing Matt Morrison
Posted: 1/28/16 at 8:01am

I know this isn't on the topic of tony, but when does Carolee leave for tuck?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

KathyNYC2
#37Tony Yazbeck replacing Matt Morrison
Posted: 1/28/16 at 7:14pm

Feb 7th. (see other thread about Sandy Duncan).

A1st
#38Tony Yazbeck replacing Matt Morrison
Posted: 1/29/16 at 9:27pm

Photos: https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Photo-Flash-First-Look-Tony-Yazbeck-Soars-Into-Broadways-FINDING-NEVERLAND-20160129

Also, just out of curiosity, in the picture of him doing "Stronger," is that Kelsey Grammer on the right? It looks like Paul Slade Smith (Grammer's understudy) but I could be wrong. 

bfreak
#39Tony Yazbeck replacing Matt Morrison
Posted: 1/30/16 at 12:49am

That does look like Paul Slade Smith. This was probably taken during one of Tony's put-ins. Kelsey hasn't been out since he returned.

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#40Tony Yazbeck replacing Matt Morrison
Posted: 1/30/16 at 12:59am

Back Row said: I saw Jeremy Jordan in Cambridge and I think the fact that he's not a trained dancer worked well for the character.

100% agree. He was visibly working for it, which worked. It had a wonderful type of awkwardness that matched the character's social awkwardness.

Updated On: 1/30/16 at 12:59 AM

KathyNYC2
#41Tony Yazbeck replacing Matt Morrison
Posted: 1/30/16 at 9:18am

rcwr said: "Back Row said: I saw Jeremy Jordan in Cambridge and I think the fact that he's not a trained dancer worked well for the character.

100% agree. He was visibly working for it, which worked. It had a wonderful type of awkwardness that matched the character's social awkwardness.

"

Then what is that saying about Tony Yazbeck who is probably the best dancer of the bunch?

Sunny11
#42Tony Yazbeck replacing Matt Morrison
Posted: 1/30/16 at 2:17pm

The story goes that meeting the family awakens something within Barry that was previously repressed.

He wasn't uncomfortable around them, it was the opposite,  he felt more free and himself.

Its like If you go out to a club with a shy friend, get drunk and then he suddenly becomes lord of the dance, its not that he is out of character but his inhibitions are down.

Thats how I saw Barries arc in the show. 

Updated On: 1/30/16 at 02:17 PM

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#43Tony Yazbeck replacing Matt Morrison
Posted: 1/30/16 at 2:41pm

So when we get pissed the Astaire in all of us is let loose?---twinkle toes will have another Long Island Tea please.

PS....I dance alone.

SL.....x

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#44Tony Yazbeck replacing Matt Morrison
Posted: 2/4/16 at 3:08am

KathyNYC2 said: Then what is that saying about Tony Yazbeck who is probably the best dancer of the bunch?

I haven't had the privilege to see Yazbeck in anything, but if he's a good actor, he'll be able to act *through* his dancing and make it work for the character. That doesn't mean dancing less well. I didn't see Morrison in the role, but it sounded to me that the comment here meant that his good dancing wasn't done in a way that matched the characterization, in the opinion of the commenter who said that. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#45Tony Yazbeck replacing Matt Morrison
Posted: 2/4/16 at 7:26am

I saw Tony Yazbeck in the show on Tuesday night. I thought he was great. I enjoyed his performance as much as i enjoyed Matthew Morrison's performance (which I really liked). Not really sure what these comments about the dancing are about, but he danced just fine and none of it seemed out of character. This was my first time seeing the show from the orchestra, and WOW... what a difference it makes seeing the show from the orchestra versus the rear mezzanine. I had a great Audience Rewards seat in row T. Anyways, if you enjoyed the show or are a fan of Yazbeck, I would definitely recommend going back to see Tony Yazbeck.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Call_me_jorge
#46Tony Yazbeck replacing Matt Morrison
Posted: 2/4/16 at 7:41am

Is he hitting the notes?

bfreak
#47Tony Yazbeck replacing Matt Morrison
Posted: 2/4/16 at 8:47am

What did you think of how the rest of the cast is holding up bwayphreak234? I saw the show during Morrison's last week and thought the rest of the show was in really great shape (especially Kelsey Grammer, Laura, and Carolee)

KathyNYC2
#48Tony Yazbeck replacing Matt Morrison
Posted: 2/4/16 at 9:51am

Call_me_jorge said: "Is he hitting the notes?

"

Yes and then some.

I don't get what the argument about dancing is either.....I think both Matthew and Tony (and Jeremy) are all actors that dance well, though Tony is probably more of a Dancer with a capital "D". You don't get to do On the Town by being someone who moves well.

But I am not sure why that plays into the discussion on how you play a part....like you should tone down the quality of the dancing because the character would not dance in real life. Unless you are doing a show about dancing such as Chorus LIne or Billy Elliot, you always have characters that probably dance better than their characters would. Why should this be any different?

Laura Michelle is still perfect...and the rest of the cast is holding up just fine.

Updated On: 2/4/16 at 09:51 AM

Call_me_jorge
#49Tony Yazbeck replacing Matt Morrison
Posted: 2/4/16 at 10:22am

Did they change the key of the show for him?