pixeltracker

How to propose at the Hamilton- Page 3

How to propose at the Hamilton

FindingNamo
#50How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 4:39pm

It's not fair to take over this night that most people have been waiting so long for, this unbelievably special experience to each theatregoer, and make it about you instead.

EXACTLY, rjm!  OP, prove to us that you are not just an entitled millennial and choose a less obtrusive idea.  

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Shrek3
#51How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 4:50pm

You guys are such a babies. If sitting through a proposal is just hell  for you, then just leave during the bows. 

Margo319
#52How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 5:35pm

rjm516 said: "Please don't do it in a way that makes the audience watch. It's not fair to take over this night that most people have been waiting so long for, this unbelievably special experience to each theatregoer, and make it about you instead.

BRAV-FU*KING-O!!!

Also, public proposals are lame and if you feel you need strangers to cheer for you instead of just enjoying your love with your significant other by yourselves or with people who actually give a crap then maybe rethink your life.

"

FindingNamo
#53How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 6:59pm

If sitting through a proposal is just hell  for you, then just leave during the bows. 

It IS hell.  And I don't leave before the bows even for entitled fiancees.  

DWalk
#54How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 7:13pm

I rarely comment on this board but would like to leave my personal opinion.  I mainly see shows on tour in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and proposals are common down here, as well.  I really wish they weren't.  As many people have written before...while it may be exciting for the couple, I, as a spectator, feel extremely uncomfortable being dragged into a stranger's personal life.  I also wonder why this person feels it's special to perform this intimate act in front of several thousand strangers.

I also never leave a show before the end of the curtain calls but I don't recall witnessing a proposal during or after the curtain calls.  They have all been right before the show began or during the intermission.

Anyway, like quite of few others on this board I buy a ticket to see a professional cast perform a professional show.  I believe I'm a nice person but that doesn't mean I'm interested in watching your personal life performed live in front of me.  I can Keep Up With the Kardashians if I were interested in that.

Updated On: 2/8/16 at 07:13 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#55How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 7:14pm

It would really be a Kodak moment if she turned him down in front of the entire theater full of people. That would be worth staying for. This would definitely take the wind out of this ego driven chap's sails.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 2/8/16 at 07:14 PM

mordav
#56How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 7:43pm

Tickets for Hamilton are hard to come by. If they want to do it on Broadway there are a lot of other shows that might be suitable for the occasion - The Humans, Blackbird, Long Day's Journey into Night

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#57How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 7:49pm

Yes, Long Days Journey certainly screams "happily ever after".  

I don't think WHICH show it is matters at all.  I don't care about how you announce your pregnancy or finding out the sex of your baby, either, unless I know (and LIKE) you.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#58How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 7:54pm

I get it. As long as my experience at   "The Hamilton" is not encumbered in any way this is all that matters .Annoy someone else  but do not mess with "The Hamilton"

Poster Emeritus

FindingNamo
#59How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 8:00pm

Jesus, dramamama, that was mordav's point.  You HAVE to give the detention pad a rest once in a while.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#60How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 8:11pm

Yes, I know.  I was just adding to it..    

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

FindingNamo
#61How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 8:19pm

Oh.  You were spelling out the punchline.  Okay.  One demerit for me.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#62How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 8:22pm

When I worked at the FABULOUS PALM SPRINGS FOLLIES, a show that always ended with a patriotic medley and a salute to all troops and veterans present, we did an on-stage proposal once.

The girl was one of our assistant stage managers and the proposal was a total surprise to her (which posed quite a logistical problem since her supervisors--convinced that no woman wants to receive a proposal while dressed in her stage manager coveralls--had to come up with some excuse to get her into a a nice dress: IIRC, they told her she had to go on in place of an injured performer).

The groom was a young Marine who had received his orders and was shipping out to Afghanistan in a few days.

There wasn't a dry eye in the house when the proposal was happily accepted.

But unless your proposal is that poignantly timely and appropriate to the show, I am in agreement with others here: have a private moment somewhere else. As a rule, the wedding is public enough.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#63How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 8:55pm

How about the fact that the OP's friends have seen "the" Hamilton 7 times? Hope he saved some cash for the ring. 

And yes, unless it's a poignant, very relevant scenario like Gaveston just posted, I'm not a fan of public proposals. Jumbotron? Swooooon! 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#64How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 9:25pm

The 7 times remark is for the peasants who have not seen it. It was for bragging rights.

Poster Emeritus

ChiTheaterFan
#65How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 9:28pm

GavestonPS said: "When I worked at the FABULOUS PALM SPRINGS FOLLIES, a show that always ended with a patriotic medley and a salute to all troops and veterans present, we did an on-stage proposal once.

The girl was one of our assistant stage managers and the proposal was a total surprise to her (which posed quite a logistical problem since her supervisors--convinced that no woman wants to receive a proposal while dressed in her stage manager coveralls--had to come up with some excuse to get her into a a nice dress: IIRC, they told her she had to go on in place of an injured performer).

The groom was a young Marine who had received his orders and was shipping out to Afghanistan in a few days.

There wasn't a dry eye in the house when the proposal was happily accepted.

But unless your proposal is that poignantly timely and appropriate to the show, I am in agreement with others here: have a private moment somewhere else. As a rule, the wedding is public enough.

"

OK THIS is adorable. (And like you say totally different than a random proposal not connected to the show.) I don't really care otherwise--people can do what they want. I don't, however, think they're likely to open this up to all the people who want to do this. That said, they may be more flexible if someone were willing to give a (probably sizeable) donation to BC/EFA for the opportunity (or another charity). Otherwise I don't seem them opening up the stage to everyone who has a special occasion. And I have to admit, as a single 30-something woman, I get a little annoyed with people acting like a proposal is the most special thing in the world. Maybe I'll pull a Carrie Bradshaw and throw an "I'm not getting married" shower or better yet, an "I've made my own decisions and am proud of them and don't judge you for your different decisions" shower. At any rate, more power to ya for whatever you choose to do, but I would most definitely say NO to someone who proposed to me in front of a bunch of strangers. 

Margo319
#66How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 9:51pm

Mr Roxy said: "The 7 times remark is for the peasants who have not seen it. It was for bragging rights.

Totally agree.  OP, you are the WORST, SIR.

FindingNamo
#67How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 9:55pm

I hope Aaron Burr's gun slips in the happy couple's direction.

Too harsh?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#68How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 10:20pm

Nope

Justifiable homicide.

Poster Emeritus

FindingNamo
#69How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 10:50pm

See?  No jury in the world ... !

Don't do it, scene stealing engagement party!   Do it at Señor Frogs Times Square like any normal person would do (I'm assuming it's an old fashioned hetero wedding).  

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#70How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 10:55pm

Mr Roxy said: "The 7 times remark is for the peasants who have not seen it. It was for bragging rights.

"

How can he be bragging when he's not even talking about himself? His friend went 7x, I think he only mentioned it to show how fanatical they are.

Petralicious Profile Photo
Petralicious
#71How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/9/16 at 12:41pm

I hope he or she says no, and the asker goes off crying. That would be entertaining

When They Go Low, I Go High