pixeltracker

The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)- Page 4

The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#75The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 3/7/16 at 2:25pm

I was there Saturday night and absolutely loved it! It really is great fun. Yes, the direction reminds me of BBAJ and Peter and the Starcatcher but since I LOVED those shows, I didn't mind that one bit. The cast is great (although Leslie Kritzer could stand to tone it down a bit) and I loved the score (it was my first exposure to it.) I hope to return before the run ends!

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#76The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 3/7/16 at 3:50pm

So it is not 90 minutes?  That's not what I wanted to hear.  edit: its at 7:30 so I'm good to go :)

Updated On: 3/8/16 at 03:50 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#77The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 3/8/16 at 1:31am

I just wish, besides Kritzer, they all had more to chew on? Like, After the initial opening, Pasquale doesn't sing all that much. And his voice is killer. I wanted his character to have a few more songs. No clue how the original guy won a Tony for it.

But I liked the use of the space a lot. 

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#78The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 3/8/16 at 7:54am

"After the initial opening, Pasquale doesn't sing all that much."

Wait - in the score, Jamie has two big solos after the opening ("Steal With Style" and "Love Stolen" ) and leads a big group number ("Where Oh Where" ). Have these songs been cut?

Updated On: 3/8/16 at 07:54 AM

After Eight
#79The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 3/8/16 at 8:26am

"No clue how the original guy won a Tony for it."

It's simple. Barry Bostwick excelled in the part. He was deft, skilled, and charming.. The character itself is not all that appealing: after all, what is he really but a thief? But Bostwick's talent and charisma were able to overcome that, as well as a book and score that were middling at best.

Apart from his performance, I felt the original production was a great bore. This production was more animated, due to the ingenious staging, and the gusto of the cast and band.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#80The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 3/8/16 at 9:46am

newintown said: ""After the initial opening, Pasquale doesn't sing all that much."

Wait - in the score, Jamie has two big solos after the opening ("Steal With Style" and "Love Stolen" ) and leads a big group number ("Where Oh Where" ). Have these songs been cut?"

Nope.

I will say, I agree with the other people who have said that this feels like a real ensemble piece. Pasquale's Jamie doesn't feel like the clear "lead" despite being so.
"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 3/8/16 at 09:46 AM

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#81The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 3/8/16 at 10:04am

Unless the text has been altered, I'd think that would be due to Pasquale's performance or a directorial choice; every other Jamie I've ever seen has been the clear ringleader of the piece, a rogue who is eventually softened by true love. As written, he and Rosamund get the vast bulk of stage time, with fun bits and pieces tossed to Salome & Clement, Little Harp & Big Harp, and Goat and the Raven.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#82The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 3/8/16 at 10:10am

I think Timbers' direction has a lot to do with it, as the cast is mostly onstage for much of the show and performing various supporting functions. It's in the same general vein as Starcatcher in that sense, or Bloody Bloody.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#83The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 3/9/16 at 8:14am

Great fun, far more wild and woolly than I remember the original being, and that would be thanks to Timbers' direction and the terrific cast. Not as keen as many about Kritzer, who chews the scenery (a la Mary Testa and Jackie Hoffman in XANADU), and sometimes seems to ad lib her shtick, while the other actors wait for her to stop. Yes, the audience laughed a lot and loved her, just felt she had watched one too many Carol Burnett shows. And yes, "Sleepy Man," a favorite song thanks to Liz Callaway, needs to better sung and performed. But I had a great time watching the show, and so did most of the crowd.

mamaleh
#84The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 3/9/16 at 1:44pm

Steve Pasquale tweeted that the show was frozen as of last night, so I may return to see what if any changes have occurred since the first few performances.

Updated On: 3/9/16 at 01:44 PM

nasty_khakis
#85The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 3/9/16 at 2:59pm

Great, now I'm mad that role ISN'T being played by Jackie Hoffman. Or Mary, for that matter.

wolfwriter2
#86The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 3/16/16 at 11:53pm

I've always wanted to see a production of this show and now that I've seen it tonight, I'm sorry I did. I hated every second of it. To be fair, I hated the show, itself. About halfway through, I realized I kept thinking of the set, lighting and direction of 'Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson' which I also hated. I had not realized it was the same director.

There plot, what there is of it, is silly and predictable and lacking in wit or substance. The direction is so self-aware that it's painful. It's as though the director is trying to be cute and clever, just to hide the lack of material he has to work with. Community theater with a stellar Broadway cast.

The cast, on the other hand, is immensely talented and so far above this material, that it's hard to believe they couldn't find a better show for everyone to be in. They did all look like they were having a blast and I wonder if this is one of those shows that's more fun for the cast than the audience.

I love Leslie Kritzer, but, at times, I feel like she was channeling an episode of Mama's Family and playing it to the rafters, which may be what the show calls for. I think it's a case of a ridiculously talented actor trying to overcome ridiculously bad material. Steven Pasquale and that voice are wasted. Actually, everyone in the cast seems wasted, as I didn't think there was a weak link among them. I especially liked Andrew Durand and hope to see him again in something better.

I thought I would enjoy the score more than I did. I like country and bluegrass, so I expected to respond more positively. 

Maybe Alex Timbers, as a director, is not for me, but I keep giving him a chance because 'Here Lies Love' is one of the best musicals I've seen in the last 10 years.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#87The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 3/17/16 at 12:02am

--

Updated On: 3/17/16 at 12:02 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#88The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 3/17/16 at 12:05am

I loved every second of this show. 

wolfwriter2
#89The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 3/17/16 at 12:32am

Glad you had a good time. It seemed like a lot of the audience did. I'm a little jealous.

I almost forgot the phony 'spontaneous' laughter that wasn't spontaneous. Just not my cuppa, but that's ok.

VintageSnarker
#90The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 3/20/16 at 12:03am

I'm surprised there isn't more buzz about this show. Not in terms of awards or anything specific, just, you know, buzz. I only knew it from the mention in Patti Lupone's memoir and from hearing Sleepy Man performed here and there. I don't think I was convinced that it was a great show and I do think that the framing device (these actors telling the story of the Robber Bridegroom) was necessary in some ways, it and some of the direction and performance choices kept up a sense of artifice that prevented me from ever really getting into the story. That said, I had a fantastic time. Sure, the show is a little problematic but the actors are killing it. I was worried that all the twitter drama would affect my ability to watch Pasquale objectively but he's still as charming as ever. Leslie Kritzer does almost steal the show, if not from Jamie, then from Rosamunde. Though they were the standouts, this really is a great ensemble show where everyone gets moments to shine. Roundabout has done a pretty excellent job with this season so far.

forgetmenotnyc Profile Photo
forgetmenotnyc
#91The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 4/1/16 at 11:24pm

This is a very inventive and entertaining show. I would call it a hipster HeeHaw Into the Woods - something that would probably be better suited to some high quality dinner theatre in Pigeon Forge or maybe Branson - then NYC? The comedy is like the best of old cartoons like 'Fractured Fairy Tales.' So many 'bits'!! I liked everyone. Vocals seem restrained rather than show-offy/bravura. Great lighting. I would have preferred more difference betwn. Jaimie's 2 roles.  More blackberry stained makeup perhaps.?

Updated On: 4/1/16 at 11:24 PM

petewk87
#92The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 5/11/16 at 2:25am

Does anyone know if there's recording or lyrics available online? I had a hard time looking for one, and would love to listen to it before seeing the show this weekend.