pixeltracker

Is Hamilton and Fun Home worth seeing- Page 2

Is Hamilton and Fun Home worth seeing

Consistency
#25Is Hamilton and Fun Home worth seeing
Posted: 2/14/16 at 8:47am

Nope. They're both almost universally loathed by nearly all who see them, the only exceptions being a tiny handful of brainwashed fascist minions who keep shoving them down the throat of an innocent, unsuspecting public. 

If only more people had the courage to stand up and say "Enough of this depraved and debauched critical hegemony! Bring back Herman!" 

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#26Is Hamilton and Fun Home worth seeing
Posted: 2/14/16 at 8:53am

Jerry or Pee-Wee?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#27Is Hamilton and Fun Home worth seeing
Posted: 2/14/16 at 8:56am

Sad to say Herman's Broadway is gone forever

I do not think either is universally loathed although a number of people on the board & via PM have said they did not care for either one or both. It is all a matter of taste. If someone likes something fine. I simply do not get the hysteria re Hamilton. If you doubt  it is that, why are people risking frostbite & their health waiting on a cancellation line? I am sorry but no show in the history of Broadway or in its future is worth losing a few fingers & toes over. Hamilton may be a great show but more important to some people is bragging rights. They can pump up their chest and say "I saw Hamilton" and to them that is all that matters in the world.

Poster Emeritus

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#28Is Hamilton and Fun Home worth seeing
Posted: 2/14/16 at 9:17am

Hamilton? Fun Home? What are these shows you speak of? Did I miss something? Are they in previews?

Up In One
Updated On: 2/14/16 at 09:17 AM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#29Is Hamilton and Fun Home worth seeing
Posted: 2/14/16 at 9:21am

That's a good one

You get a gold star

Poster Emeritus

After Eight
#30Is Hamilton and Fun Home worth seeing
Posted: 2/14/16 at 9:54am

"brainwashed"

BrainwashING.

Happy Valentine's Day.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#31Is Hamilton and Fun Home worth seeing
Posted: 2/14/16 at 10:11am

Roxy....Consistency's post is a little something we call SARCASM. And of course, you don't "get it" because you haven't seen Hamilton.  Does that guarantee you'd like it?  Of course not.   I didn't like RENT....doesn't mean I cared that so many around me did. Nor did that make me OR them "right".

Yes, the hype and ticket scalping prices is absolutely ridiculous - but the show is pretty tremendous.  Can't wait to get back to see it again on Weds.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#32Is Hamilton and Fun Home worth seeing
Posted: 2/14/16 at 10:31am

I realize it was sarcasm. Naturally you go into attack mode on someone who has not seen it.

Read my entire post. If you and others like it fine. I have seen clips on youtube and heard the score. It is not for me. If you and others like it I am glad for you. Still no way to justify seeing it endlessly or flying  to Chicago and back to see it. I am sorry but no show, no matter how good, is worth it. If you think it is fine. No show is worth getting frostbite & possibly losing a few fingers & toes in a cancellation line. That is beyond supporting theater . It is lunacy. I speak as someone who has attended theater for almost 50 years.

Another reason is that honestly we are not drawing money out of the bank to see a show. If people want to pay, repeatedly, exorbitant prices to see it, fine.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 2/14/16 at 10:31 AM

AndersonTours
#33Is Hamilton and Fun Home worth seeing
Posted: 2/14/16 at 10:47am

The thing that I don't understand about Hamilton is why Lin-Manuel is getting a pass on missing so many shows. Why is it news when Patti LuPone misses ONE show or Bernadette or Audra, etc. etc. etc. But Lin misses all the time! Why is he getting a pass? I'm asking honestly. I've not seen one thread about his "slacker" behavior - which is exactly what the others would be getting, rest assured. (I put "slacker" in quotes because I saw that once to describe Laura Benanti) I've only seen threads about how good his understudies are comparatively. Not quite sure I understand the double standard. If I'm shelling out that kind of money to see a show, shouldn't he at least be there? He misses a lot. Sorry, but it's just been on my mind. Nothing against Miranda, actually, more of a real question to all of us about our double standards. 

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#34Is Hamilton and Fun Home worth seeing
Posted: 2/14/16 at 10:51am

Besides the shows where his alternate goes on, which are advertised in advance to ticket buyers, has Lin really missed that many shows? And he's also an incredibly busy man, with press for this show, working on Moana for Disney and who knows how many other projects. When I saw him this week I was impressed that, despite all his other work, he gave an electrifying performance.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#35Is Hamilton and Fun Home worth seeing
Posted: 2/14/16 at 10:51am

He is right now a theater God and God can be forgiven sins of not showing up. It is his show and he knows there is a captive audience many who will see it over & over again. Maybe he feels if someone does not see him when they attend, they can always buy more tickets & hopefully see him than. Great way to gin up the box office.

Poster Emeritus

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#36Is Hamilton and Fun Home worth seeing
Posted: 2/14/16 at 11:08am

I didn't attack you or anyone else.  Your post certainly didnt sound like you understood it to be sarcasm. 

Lin has had very few absences other than his regularly scheduled ones....but he was sick a few months (?) ago, and had a neck problem back in July (I only remember when that happened as it was only a day or two before I saw the show.)    So, therefore, Anderson Tours, his attendance record is pretty darn good.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#37Is Hamilton and Fun Home worth seeing
Posted: 2/14/16 at 11:29am

Is Hamilton and Fun Home worth seeing?

Yes, they is.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#38Is Hamilton and Fun Home worth seeing
Posted: 2/14/16 at 11:41am

When he is not scheduled to be there fine as people know this when they buy tickets

The problem  is when he takes off for publicity or something else other than illness. Don't the people who shell out huge amounts to see him deserve the expectation  of him being there and performing? Seems like basic fairness is not to much to ask.

If he is that busy maybe he owes it to the public to leave and get a suitable permanent replacement.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 2/14/16 at 11:41 AM

FindingNamo
#39Is Hamilton and Fun Home worth seeing
Posted: 2/14/16 at 11:46am

I don't think he does take time off for publicity.  As you've pointed out yourself, the show doesn't need any right now.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#40Is Hamilton and Fun Home worth seeing
Posted: 2/15/16 at 6:39pm

YES but see FUN HOME now... I hear it is gonna close in a couple of months-early summer to make room for NPATGC of 1812 this September.Is Hamilton and Fun Home worth seeing

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#41Is Hamilton and Fun Home worth seeing
Posted: 2/15/16 at 6:43pm

Mr Roxy said: "The problem  is when he takes off for publicity or something else other than illness. Don't the people who shell out huge amounts to see him deserve the expectation  of him being there and performing? Seems like basic fairness is not to much to ask."

I think you're confusing stagedooring with performing onstage for 3 hours. One he does very consistently.

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#42Is Hamilton and Fun Home worth seeing
Posted: 2/15/16 at 6:54pm

I'm starting to wish that approval was required before threads were published on here...