Out-of-Town Window Cards

WaltG2
#1Out-of-Town Window Cards
Posted: 3/6/16 at 11:00am

Do out-of-town shows (tryouts or tours) usually have window cards for sale or is it mostly Broadway specific?

theatreguy12
#2Out-of-Town Window Cards
Posted: 3/6/16 at 11:09am

Off the top of my head I can think of two that I purchased from tours:  Sound of Music, with Richard Chamberlain and Laura Benanti on the poster, and Kiss Me Kate, with Rex Smith and Rachel York.  Not sure if they always have them available, but those are at least two that I have picked up over the years.  I seem to remember picking up a couple that had the exact look as the Broadway original, it just didn't have the theater listed or members of the cast. 

WaltG2 said: "Do out-of-town shows (tryouts or tours) usually have window cards for sale or is it mostly Broadway specific?

"

Updated On: 3/6/16 at 11:09 AM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#3Out-of-Town Window Cards
Posted: 3/6/16 at 11:12am

Triton Gallery has windowcards on their site for some out of town tryouts. I'd say it's not uncommon for a tryout to have a windowcard but it depends on what you're looking for.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#4Out-of-Town Window Cards
Posted: 3/6/16 at 11:19am

I'm looking for a NEXT TO NORMAL out of town or off Broadway window card if anyone has one or knows of where I can find one. I have an extra WAITRESS window card from the A.R.T run if anyone is looking for that...

Updated On: 3/6/16 at 11:19 AM

WaltG2
#5Out-of-Town Window Cards
Posted: 3/6/16 at 11:42am

Thanks, y'all!

What do window cards usually run at the souvenir stand? $15? $20?

theatreguy12
#6Out-of-Town Window Cards
Posted: 3/6/16 at 4:21pm

The last ones I bought were all $20.  

WaltG2
#7Out-of-Town Window Cards
Posted: 3/7/16 at 10:11am

theatreguy12 said: "The last ones I bought were all $20."

Thank you!

musicaltheatrechick
#8Out-of-Town Window Cards
Posted: 3/7/16 at 10:17am

When I saw Jersey Boys in Chicago, I got a window card. 

WaltG2
#9Out-of-Town Window Cards
Posted: 3/7/16 at 10:28am

Stupid question, but tryouts & tours will generally take credit for merchandise, right? Or is it dependent on the host theater?

pc1145N2 Profile Photo
pc1145N2
#10Out-of-Town Window Cards
Posted: 3/7/16 at 10:44am

This is an interesting question that I've often wondered myself.

In my experience as a Chicago Theatre goer, the out-of-town tryouts typically have a windowcard. For example, there was a windowcard for Big Fish in Chicago. It had very different art work than the Broadway artwork. There was a windowcard for On Your Feet with the same art work as Broadway. I've gotten windowcards for the Chicago tryouts of Aida (with totally different artwork at the final product,) the Pirate Queen (same graphics, sadly) Kinky Boots had a Chicago windowcard with the same graphics as Broadway, The Last Ship tryout also had a windowcard which remained unchanged until Sting joined the cast, and The Adams Family also had an out-of-town windowcard with the same graphics as Broadway.

Some out-of-town tryouts do not have windowcards at all:

Beaches did not

Gotta Dance, sadly did not

I don't see too many tours so I'm not that sure. However, I did see the tour of If/Then and there was no windowcard. I assumed it was a cost reason as the ones for Broadway clearly featured Idina and not Jackie Burns.

motherjonesreading
#11Out-of-Town Window Cards
Posted: 3/7/16 at 11:28am

Steven check your PMs :)

electrode10
#12Out-of-Town Window Cards
Posted: 4/3/16 at 8:47pm

Steven, If you still have the Waitress window card, I've been looking for one since I saw it last summer! We stayed for the talkback after the show and the merch station was clasped after. Wish I could have taken advantage of the three variations for $20. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#13Out-of-Town Window Cards
Posted: 4/3/16 at 8:51pm

If I was younger and had room, I would have a wall of posters of all out of town flops.

Poster Emeritus

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#14Out-of-Town Window Cards
Posted: 4/3/16 at 10:00pm

If/Then just redid their windowcard and now it does feature Jackie Burns, along with Matt Hydzik and Tamara Gray. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#15Out-of-Town Window Cards
Posted: 4/4/16 at 1:47am

When I saw Hairspray in Seattle before it was on Broadway, they had windowcards.