Can we talk about Bright Star?

UptownScribe Profile Photo
UptownScribe
#1Can we talk about Bright Star?
Posted: 4/10/16 at 7:08pm

I didn't locate a thread quickly enough so, in advance, my apologies if you've tread/trod this already. What? What? What? Steve Martin: this isn't "Underpants" or "Lapin Agile." What happened? Oh my goodness. "Hamilton" was a mixtape made into a musical. "Bright Star" should have been a mixtape that should have stayed a mixtape. The music and the harmonies are gorgeous. The lyrics, well, I was finishing the lines though I'd never heard the songs before. I have a Rhyming Dictionary, too. But SPOILER (don't read further; I mean it): the book - how do you write that Act One closer then open Act Two with a jolly blue grass number played by the band followed by another happy number? And THEN the only way I could imagine you could redeem the story is what you did and it was manipulative and cynical. Again, I could see it coming but I couldn't imagine you or the Broadway producers would pull that gimmick. I can't forgive that Act One finale plot point. It's too savage. Is this play "Buried Child (Psych!): The Musical"? 

Updated On: 4/10/16 at 07:08 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Can we talk about Bright Star?
Posted: 4/10/16 at 7:14pm

Of course we have. Not my type of music, but the right choice for this show.  I liked it, even though the twist could've hit you over the head 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 4/10/16 at 07:14 PM

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#3Can we talk about Bright Star?
Posted: 4/10/16 at 7:18pm

Can we talk about the two other Bright Star threads that are on the first page of this board?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#4Can we talk about Bright Star?
Posted: 4/10/16 at 7:49pm

Not being rude, but if 30 seconds or less is not quick enough to find a thread on this show.... And the threads have been on the first page for the most part. Just take time to search so everything can kinda stay in one or 2 places.

Just give the world Love.

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#5Can we talk about Bright Star?
Posted: 4/10/16 at 8:22pm

I enjoyed the show very much. Thank you, though, for creating another unnecessary thread to rant illegibly. 

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#6Can we talk about Bright Star?
Posted: 4/10/16 at 8:38pm

I thought it was a lovely production and I would post that on every thread created.  After Hamilton, I don't know how anyone could quibble over 3 threads on the very quiet show called Bright Star.  

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#7Can we talk about Bright Star?
Posted: 4/10/16 at 10:08pm

I thought the show was beautiful with some really great performances. I loved the music (gonna by that cast recording), and thought it had a great book. Yea, the "twist" was predictable, but the way the story was told, I don't even think it was trying to be a "surprise". If you have 2 storylines like that told alongside each other of course they are gonna be connected. But the way it played out, and thanks to wonderful, heartfelt acting it still made me cry. It didn't matter that I knew it was gonna happen. And that's the reason why I thought the show has such a good book: it evoked emotion. It made me cry, and then it made me laugh almost in the same instant. It had a perfect balance.

And btw, the musical is based on a true event, as I learned from an interview with Steve Martin. I'm gonna use the spoiler thingy for this though.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Edie Brickell found a newspaper clipping about a baby that was found in a suitcase on the shore of a river in North Carolina in the 1920th. The baby was alive and was raised by another family, but they never found out what happened. Reading this inspired Edie to image what might have been the story behind this.

Videos