Carmen Cusack

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#25Carmen Cusack
Posted: 4/12/16 at 12:58pm

TFMH18 said: "Am I correct in assuming the only way Carmen will be nominated is if they opt to include a sixth nominee?"

If there is a tie in the nominating process of any of the acting categories, the number of nominees shall be expanded.

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#26Carmen Cusack
Posted: 4/12/16 at 1:10pm

"If there is a tie in the nominating process of any of the acting categories, the number of nominees shall be expanded."

Right, let me rephrase. Is there any world in which Cusack could be nominated if there is not a tie? 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#27Carmen Cusack
Posted: 4/12/16 at 1:12pm

TFMH18 said: "Right, let me rephrase. Is there any world in which Cusack could be nominated if there is not a tie?"

In other words, you're asking if she has a realistic shot of getting in above Benanti, Erivo, McDonald, Mueller, or Soo, right?

Updated On: 4/12/16 at 01:12 PM

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#28Carmen Cusack
Posted: 4/12/16 at 1:17pm

"In other words, you're asking if she has a realistic shot of getting in above Benanti, Erivo, McDonald, Mueller, or Soo, right?"

I guess so. And, phrased like that, frankly I think you've already answered my question. Here's to hoping for that tie. 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#29Carmen Cusack
Posted: 4/12/16 at 1:56pm

If the nominators feel that Phillipa Soo has more of a featured role, then I guess Cusack could take her slot. If not, she might be this year's Lisa Howard. A breakout star in a show with mixed reception that just gets overlooked for a nomination.

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#30Carmen Cusack
Posted: 4/12/16 at 2:00pm

I don't think Audra or Jesse are shoo-ins at all and Carmen has as much of a chance as they do, or even Shoo for that matter.  While Hamilton will clean up at the Tony  awards this year, I'm not certain this will be one of the categories.  

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#31Carmen Cusack
Posted: 4/12/16 at 2:38pm

mc1227 said: "I don't think Audra or Jesse are shoo-ins at all and Carmen has as much of a chance as they do, or even Shoo for that matter.  While Hamilton will clean up at the Tony  awards this year, I'm not certain this will be one of the categories.  "

I actually think Jessie is a shoo-in. She's terrific in the role. I posted earlier in the thread, but I'm not sure the committee will deem Audra as leading (even though she's the biggest draw in the show.) Her character, as important and integral in the part as she was, seemed more featured than leading. I guess we'll find out when they rule on the show next month!

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#32Carmen Cusack
Posted: 4/12/16 at 2:55pm

"I posted earlier in the thread, but I'm not sure the committee will deem Audra as leading (even though she's the biggest draw in the show.)"

It hadn't even occurred to me that Audra could receive featured billing. Now that you mention it, though, she really is much more of a supporting cast member than leading. I wonder what the determination will be there! Forgive me if this is naive, but has Soo's eligibility also not yet bee established? I think of her role in Hamilton as much more leading than Audra's (but does not compare to how much of the burden Carmen bears for her respective show). 

sparepart973
#33Carmen Cusack
Posted: 4/12/16 at 3:10pm

She's quite versatile, having been a Christine in Phantom, Elphaba in Wicked and Mrs Gardner in Carrie. She's great I've always liked her a lot. Kind of surprised to read that you lot who seem to know everything underneath the sun Broadway related haven't heard much of her. 

Updated On: 4/12/16 at 03:10 PM

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#34Carmen Cusack
Posted: 4/12/16 at 3:53pm

TFMH18 said: ""I posted earlier in the thread, but I'm not sure the committee will deem Audra as leading (even though she's the biggest draw in the show.)"

It hadn't even occurred to me that Audra could receive featured billing. Now that you mention it, though, she really is much more of a supporting cast member than leading. I wonder what the determination will be there! Forgive me if this is naive, but has Soo's eligibility also not yet bee established? I think of her role in Hamilton as much more leading than Audra's (but does not compare to how much of the burden Carmen bears for her respective show). 
"

Yep--they met last year and deemed Soo to be a contender for Leading! I agree with you though, as she seemed more featured than leading. I guess the end of the show, when she becomes the narrator of sorts, that they felt it was enough to lock her in for that category.

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#35Carmen Cusack
Posted: 4/12/16 at 3:57pm

We don't know when exactly Shuffle Along's eligibility will be announced, do we? Though it would realistically make sense for Audra to be in the featured category, I would venture to guess it will go another way, due mainly to her stature in the community. 

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#36Carmen Cusack
Posted: 4/12/16 at 4:01pm

If I'm not mistaken, the committee will meet just one more time before the nominations get announced on 5/3. Because Shuffle Along is opening at the very end of the month, I'm assuming they'll meet prior to opening night to give themselves enough time before the 3rd. I don't know the specific date though...sorry for derailing the thread! Back to Carmen! :)

Updated On: 4/12/16 at 04:01 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#37Carmen Cusack
Posted: 4/12/16 at 5:53pm

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "If the nominators feel that Phillipa Soo has more of a featured role, then I guess Cusack could take her slot."

They've literally already decided that she has a leading role in the show. If Soo were not to receive a nomination (which I am both doubtful of happening and think it would be wrongful anyway), it would be because the nominators felt her performance wasn't comparatively worthy, not because it was any more or less "featured" or "leading." The fact that we know what her designation is is the whole point of the committee's ruling meetings.

Wilmingtom
#38Carmen Cusack
Posted: 4/13/16 at 1:08am

I saw Cusack in Sunday at Chicago Shakespeare and she was an absolute revelation.  Having seen the original and others, she was by far the most compelling Dot I have seen.  As others have opined, her versatility is astonishing.  I mean who can play and sing Dot and Elphaba and Nellie and Christine and then turn on her country mojo for Bright Star?  And by all accounts she's the nicest gal in town.  I love it when good things happen to good people.

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#39Carmen Cusack
Posted: 4/13/16 at 10:01am

"I mean who can play and sing Dot and Elphaba and Nellie and Christine and then turn on her country mojo for Bright Star?"

She took on Fantine as well, which also varies greatly from all of the aforementioned roles! And perhaps the most impressive feat of all is how perfectly suited her voice is for the Bright Star score. You could swear each song was tailor-made for her pipes (which they were not). I cannot wait until the cast recording is available in a few weeks! 

Glad to hear she is a lovely person, too. Not that that should add or detract from a performer's talent, but as you said, it's great when good things happen to good people. 

Updated On: 4/13/16 at 10:01 AM

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#40Carmen Cusack
Posted: 4/13/16 at 3:10pm

DottieD'Luscia said: "I saw her as Mother in a production of Ragtime in Milwaukee 2.5 years ago. She was wonderful.

"

This is something I wish I could've seen. 

I really hope she nabs a Tony nomination. She's giving one of the most captivating performances I've ever seen. And that voice. 

I know I'm in the minority (and at least one pervious poster to this thread will come back at me for it), but I don't think Soo should be nominated. She's more of a featured role, and if I'm being perfectly honest - her performance didn't stand out to me. Not bad by any means, but not something I would shower with awards. (However - I wish she was coming to Broadway with Great Comet, because she was STUNNING as Natasha.) 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

neonlightsxo
#41Carmen Cusack
Posted: 4/13/16 at 3:12pm

TFMH18 said: ""If there is a tie in the nominating process of any of the acting categories, the number of nominees shall be expanded."
Right, let me rephrase. Is there any world in which Cusack could be nominated if there is not a tie? 
"

Yeah. Stranger things have happened. The Tony nominations come out of left field sometime. I hope they nominate six ladies just so no one gets left out, but who knows.

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#42Carmen Cusack
Posted: 4/13/16 at 4:01pm

"I know I'm in the minority (and at least one pervious poster to this thread will come back at me for it), but I don't think Soo should be nominated. She's more of a featured role, and if I'm being perfectly honest - her performance didn't stand out to me."

I actually agree with this 100 percent. She is doing a totally serviceable job as Eliza, however, I think it's an example of a good actress playing a great part, and not doing too much to make it anything beyond that. Whereas Carmen, comparatively, is elevating the role she is playing to something indescribably special. I would be thrilled to see her get nominated over Soo but, with Hamilton fever raging on, I just am not sure that is at all feasible. 

aaaaaa15
#43Carmen Cusack
Posted: 4/13/16 at 5:11pm

I feel like I'm the regular Soo-defender in these threads but I also feel like I have to because her performance effected me so much, maybe more than any other performance I've seen on stage.

I especially take issue with a 'good actress playing a great part.' Eliza was an unbelievable woman in real life but I don't necessarily think the role in Hamilton is a great one, compared to Hamilton, Burr etc. With the exception of a few moments (notably the finale and the arc of Philip's death), she only appears on stage to discuss her love/heartbreak/loyalty to Hamilton. I've heard the workshop version of the show and I wish that Lin would have left in that version of Schuyler Defeated (and maybe even the cut song Let It Go) because they humanize Eliza much more. But Phillipa to me is producing a brilliantly subtle and nuanced performance. I think it's such a hard role to leave an impact with because of the reasons I previously mentioned and yet every time Soo was on stage my eyes were glued to her. Going off the cast recording alone I think Angelica is the more interesting female character, but when you combine Soo's performance with the staging it immediately became Eliza for me. 

What Leslie Odom Jr says in this video about Phillipa's performance is exactly how I feel:

https://youtu.be/r4bXonaZEn4?t=22m25s

There's also a chapter in the Hamilton book about how Lin and Ron Chernow were concerned with casting Eliza (Ron's wife apparently likened herself to Eliza a lot when she was alive) because it takes a specific type of actress to make that character work. Then when they found Phillipa and saw how poised she was they realized they would be fine, there's a quote about how Phillipa managed to 'make goodness compelling' which I think is so accurate.

That said, Carmen is giving a brilliant performance and the category is probably the most difficult this year, at least in terms of who to nominate. I just want to dispel the notion that Soo would only be nominated off the back of Hamilton being extremely popular, her performance is certainly having a large effect on me and other audience members I've discussed this with.

Updated On: 4/13/16 at 05:11 PM

JeaniusIsMe Profile Photo
JeaniusIsMe
#44Carmen Cusack
Posted: 4/14/16 at 10:13am

I'm Chicago-based now, so I was lucky enough to catch her as Dot in the Chicago Shakes Sunday, and was absolutely blown away by her performance. I've also seen her in Wicked and First Wives Club (in which she was one of the few bright spots), and have loved her performance each time. Really glad to hear people are enjoying her in Bright Star as well.

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#45Carmen Cusack
Posted: 4/16/16 at 11:39am

http://www.playbill.com/article/the-many-faces-of-bright-stars-leading-lady

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#46Carmen Cusack
Posted: 4/16/16 at 6:03pm

^Thank you for sharing! When her career is laid out like that, it really is mind boggling to see just how versatile she is! And it's so great that, after traversing so many iconic theatre roles (Dot, Fantine, Elphaba, Christine), she finally gets to shine in a role that was created specifically for her. 

I continue to worship at her feet.

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#47Carmen Cusack
Posted: 4/28/16 at 12:05am

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/05/01/theater/carmen-cusack-puts-her-pain-and-her-joy-into-a-leading-broadway-role.html?smid=tw-nytimestheater&smtyp=cur&_r=0&referer=

As if I wasn't floored enough by her performance as it were. This profile is devastating and adds an entirely other layer of depth and heartache. This woman is s revelation!

ChiTheaterFan
#48Carmen Cusack
Posted: 4/28/16 at 12:46am

I saw this today and thought she was absolutely glorious. I really hope she gets a Tony nomination. She absolutely deserves it. 

I've been listening to "Can't Wait" all evening. (The cast recording is on NPR first listen.)

http://www.npr.org/2016/04/21/474678104/first-listen-original-broadway-cast-recording-bright-star

Hairspray0901
#49Carmen Cusack
Posted: 5/5/16 at 3:27pm

I saw the show for the 2nd time last night and was once again blown away by Carmen's performance. She is so incredibly talented and you can tell she was still beaming from receiving her Tony nomination the day before. I had the opportunity to meet her at the stagedoor last night and was one of the sweetest people I have ever met. I hope she wins the Tony!