Tony Award Snubs!

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#50Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/13/16 at 8:14pm

This may have already been said: but I sort of want Danny to win for something new and original. A lot of men have been nominated for Tevye, it sort of a stock nomination character to me. He's worthy of something more (dare I say it) exciting? His Rodolfo in Drowsy for instance, was amazing and so unique. 

I am so curious what his next Broadway show will be. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#51Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/14/16 at 6:44am

I was hoping Michael Arden would win for his take on Spring Awakening. What irritated me more was how the cameraman didn't even get him on camera. Do you think Michael switched seats with someone? I just found it odd.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#52Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/14/16 at 7:38am

I was ok with costumes. Hamilton's costumes are gorgeous. I also hoped Shuffle would get Choreography.  Gives me goosebumps. I haven't seen everything from this past season but I doubt any show, in my opinion, could have had better lighting and projections than American Psycho. It was a feast for the eyes.

Just give the world Love.

Bell0708
#53Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/14/16 at 8:06am

I love Danny B, he's a great talent and he seems like a wonderful person as well.  I haven't seen any Bway shows this year, so I can't judge anyone's performance, but he is one of the great talents of Bway and I hope someday he gets a Tony but even if he doesn't, if you're a 6 time nominee, he's already a winner to me!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#54Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/14/16 at 8:17am

No, he didn't change seats, the cameraperson messed up.  It's live tv, it happens.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#55Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/14/16 at 9:03am

dramamama611 said: "No, he didn't change seats, the cameraperson messed up.  It's live tv, it happens.  "

I understand. Obviously the cameraman did not know what Michael Arden looked like. I'd imagine Broadway fans would know what each of the nominees look like, right?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#56Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/14/16 at 9:06am

According to Arden, the cameraperson was WAAY off - by about 10 rows.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#57Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/14/16 at 9:16am

wow that is WAAY off! I didn't even think the guy they showed on TV looked like Arden. 

Seperite
#58Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/14/16 at 9:27am

Philippa Soo got snubbed.

She did not, of course, deserve to win over Cynthia Erivo, who is sensational.

But Soo should not have been nominated in the LEADING actress category. There are no female leads in Hamilton. The primary female parts (Eliza, Angelica) are both supporting roles. Jefferson/Lafayette have far more lines, stage time, and songs than either of the female parts; if Daveed Diggs could be considered a 'featured' actor, than so too should Soo.

And I would have given her the Tony over Goldsberry.

Liza's Headband
#59Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/14/16 at 10:02am

NO ONE WAS SNUBBED. THAT WOULD IMPLY AN INTENTIONAL ACT, THUS LEADING TO COLLUSION. THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE. 

dissimilate
#60Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/14/16 at 1:02pm

Liza's Headband said: "NO ONE WAS SNUBBED. THAT WOULD IMPLY AN INTENTIONAL ACT, THUS LEADING TO COLLUSION. THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE. 

"

Maybe we should find another name. I personally don't think of "snubs" as an intentional act. I think of them as Tony voter/nominator decisions that I disagree with, leading to someone being shut out or ignored as a side effect. Not sure about others on this thread, though.

Updated On: 6/14/16 at 01:02 PM

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#61Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/14/16 at 1:44pm

Wick3 said: "wow that is WAAY off! I didn't even think the guy they showed on TV looked like Arden."

"the guy" was Christopher Fitzgerald, and I couldn't pick Arden out from a lineup. then again it wasn't my job to point a camera at his face lol

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#62Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/14/16 at 5:57pm

I love Hamilton. As a history buff, I had already read the Chernow bio before I knew that there was a musical to be based on it. And to see the Chernow book, which was, let's say long, ported to the stage in such a wildly innovative and entertaining production....

But for eleven out of twelve Tony's to go to Hamilton, across all categories of creative, acting and technical, it seems to me that there had to be a bandwagon effect. It's a little hard to believe that one show, no matter how good, could dominate at all three. Worthy musicals like Fiddler and Bright Star, with a couple of Tony awards in their pockets, might have hung on through the summer. (They may still make it.) Orchestration, Choreography, Lighting Design, 

Just my thought.

ebontoyan
#63Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/14/16 at 6:28pm

Tony seem to share the wealth among shows in prior years!  Why do you think they made an exception this year? It seems odd that no other new musical got an award. 

Altho I do love Hamilton and think the show deserve all the awards they got.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#64Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/14/16 at 7:30pm

"Altho I do love Hamilton and think the show deserve all the awards they got."

This is exactly why they didn't share the wealth. They agreed with you. They loved Hamilton and thought it deserved all those awards.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."