pixeltracker

In Transit to Circle in the Square- Page 4

In Transit to Circle in the Square

trpguyy
#75In Transit to Circle in the Square
Posted: 10/17/16 at 4:48pm

^ that doesn't necessarily mean they're using a click or pitch reference, just that they're using in-ear monitors instead of/in addition to traditional monitors. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#76In Transit to Circle in the Square
Posted: 10/18/16 at 12:44am

I just find this whole thing to be incredibly boring. 

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#77In Transit to Circle in the Square
Posted: 10/18/16 at 6:57am

The marketing of the show is abysmal. I can understand someone throwing out the idea at a marketing meeting to use the Metrocard as the main image, but after seeing the marquee and all the artwork up around the theater it's clear that it was a big mistake.

Not only does it give off a cheap and tacky vibe, but you can't even tell the Circle in the Square is a Broadway theater housing a show. If I didn't know better I would just assume that the box office was an MTA ticket booth/information kiosk. If if you are reading closely enough to figure out it's a musical, one could easily assume In Transit is a short, little infomercial play for the MTA. 

I would love to poll the box office staff after this closes to see how many people walked in off the street asking for the subway directions to South Ferry. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Pootie2
#78In Transit to Circle in the Square
Posted: 10/18/16 at 5:15pm

WhizzerMarvin said: "The marketing of the show is abysmal. I can understand someone throwing out the idea at a marketing meeting to use the Metrocard as the main image, but after seeing the marquee and all the artwork up around the theater it's clear that it was a big mistake.

Not only does it give off a cheap and tacky vibe, but you can't even tell the Circle in the Square is a Broadway theater housing a show. If I didn't know better I would just assume that the box office was an MTA ticket booth/information kiosk. If if you are reading closely enough to figure out it's a musical, one could easily assume In Transit is a short, little infomercial play for the MTA. 

I would love to poll the box office staff after this closes to see how many people walked in off the street asking for the subway directions to South Ferry. 

"

There was actually a tweet about how some tourists tried to enter a prop marketing subway car... It was hilarious at the time, but I can definitely see the problem you suggest!

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

ddenoff2 Profile Photo
ddenoff2
#79In Transit to Circle in the Square
Posted: 10/18/16 at 10:36pm

Does the average person know what 'A Cappella' means - or even how to pronounce it?  

UH…CAP-e-lah?

ey…cap-e-lay?

As I've said often, marketing a show is all about communicating the FEELING of the show…the experience you'll have in the theatre. Not unlike selling Calvin Klein perfume - we can't smell the stuff on TV, but we want to be those gorgeous snatched people photographed by Bruce Weber.

And the studio video shows the entire cast looking very tense…counting their beats….and not having very much fun at all. 

And agree 1000% about the art, tag lines, branding, etc.  If it's from the creative team of Frozen, is that saying we're going to have a similar Disney/family experience? certainly could be interpreted that way

But I know the show can be a fun evening…it just has to be sold that way.  I'm available.

Updated On: 10/18/16 at 10:36 PM

Pootie2
#80In Transit to Circle in the Square
Posted: 11/3/16 at 10:05pm

Ohh, there's beatboxing.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/03/in-transit-broadway-a-cappella-musical

With a video.

But all those additional voices didn’t remedy the more basic problems presented by an a cappella musical. “When you’re making a film, you can do anything,” says Sharon when comparing the experience to his work in film. “What has to happen on the Broadway stage is basically perfection and these triple-threat actor-singer-dancers, have to add a fourth threat: They need to sing in perfect harmony.”

That presents some physical challenges. “People on stage need to breathe like humans,” he says. “On the stage, it’s necessary to make sure no one passes out! We are attempting to do the impossible with the impossibly talented.”

To fill out the cast, the production team had to make some tough choices, because idiosyncratic voices don’t mesh well with a cappella. “We did have to pass up on some incredible, virtuosic performers because they had such distinct vocal styles,” Anderson-Lopez says. Sharon is more blunt in describing why they were less interested in “your Ethel Mermans and your Judy Garlands and Liza Minellis”: “You can’t have any divas.”

Interesting.

broadwayindie
#81In Transit to Circle in the Square
Posted: 11/4/16 at 1:53am

Hopefully the show will get a chance, the rehearsal clips look really good! Reminds of Working a lot and I LOVED the Chicago production of that show.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#82In Transit to Circle in the Square
Posted: 11/4/16 at 2:07am

The ads on the subways are even worse. It has their metrocard logo, which, already, to associate yourself with the subway is awful, and the term "SING." That's all. Hard pass. 

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#83In Transit to Circle in the Square
Posted: 11/4/16 at 9:39am

All this could have been avoided if the logo didn't look so much like a MetroCard! That does nothing for the tourist crowd except confuse them. Oy vey...

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#84In Transit to Circle in the Square
Posted: 11/4/16 at 9:41am

WhizzerMarvin said: "The marketing of the show is abysmal. I can understand someone throwing out the idea at a marketing meeting to use the Metrocard as the main image, but after seeing the marquee and all the artwork up around the theater it's clear that it was a big mistake.

"

Bahahahahahahahahaha 

neonlightsxo
#85In Transit to Circle in the Square
Posted: 11/4/16 at 9:53am

It really seems like their marketing meeting went like this-

"In Transit. What about if we focus on transit? Like the subway? A metrocard?"

vampire musical
#86In Transit to Circle in the Square
Posted: 11/5/16 at 1:21am

Well they spent A LOT of money on an Saturday Night Live 30 second spot ad buy two weekends ago.  It was all stock images of "New York street scenes" with the songs playing in the background and voiceover.  Either the show has someone with deep pockets or it's blowing through it's ad budget out of desperation. 

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#87In Transit to Circle in the Square
Posted: 11/5/16 at 9:24am

Am I the only one who is thinking the lyrics are HILARIOUSLY bad?

Wilmingtom
#88In Transit to Circle in the Square
Posted: 11/5/16 at 5:08pm

I think this looks really promising.  It also answers the question about the ear pieces delivering click tracks and pitches.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/videoplay/BWW-TV-Whats-IN-TRANSIT-All-About-Go-Inside-Rehearsal-with-the-Cast-20161103

Pootie2
#89In Transit to Circle in the Square
Posted: 11/5/16 at 8:52pm

Wilmingtom said: "I think this looks really promising.  It also answers the question about the ear pieces delivering click tracks and pitches.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/videoplay/BWW-TV-Whats-IN-TRANSIT-All-About-Go-Inside-Rehearsal-with-the-Cast-20161103

"

Cool. It makes a lot more sense to have the click/pitch help while singing an 11-part harmony (wow). I wish the cast the best, really. I'm curious and hope we get in-depth preview reports.

(Are you going, Whizzer?)

sephyr
#90In Transit to Circle in the Square
Posted: 11/6/16 at 1:29am

I saw a Facebook live of behind the scenes in their tech rehearsals and this show looks so cool. The amount of work they've put into this is crazy and I am excited to see it in a few weeks. The songs sound good and the fact that all of it is coming from 11 people is so cool.

mcsquared
#91In Transit to Circle in the Square
Posted: 11/7/16 at 3:20pm

If you missed the $31 special at the box office, last month, there is a $39 promotion going on for many dates in November and first part of December on their facebook page. Also a groupon which is not as good but has dates through February. They were on TodayTix briefly yesterday but seemed to go away. Went ahead and bought tickets for Thanksgiving weekend since wasn't sure if they'd have rush or lottery tickets.

Videos