pixeltracker

Javier Muñoz - the most famous replacement actor in Broadway history- Page 2

Javier Muñoz - the most famous replacement actor in Broadway history

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#25Javier Muñoz - the most famous replacement actor in Broadway history
Posted: 7/15/16 at 12:58pm

Jordan Catalano said: "You know what? I did mean that. But just the very thought of the most famous (and important) replacement in the history of the American Musical Theater has made me just lose track of everything. 

Hey Jordan, have you ever considered a career in comedy? You have a sharp, quick wit! You're funny!

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable

Liza's Headband
#26Javier Muñoz - the most famous replacement actor in Broadway history
Posted: 7/15/16 at 1:04pm

Pssttt... Your nose is a bit brown. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#27Javier Muñoz - the most famous replacement actor in Broadway history
Posted: 7/15/16 at 1:39pm

Oh, shut up and let me take in a compliment, Liza. 

Liza's Headband
Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#29Javier Muñoz - the most famous replacement actor in Broadway history
Posted: 7/15/16 at 1:52pm

Wut

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#30Javier Muñoz - the most famous replacement actor in Broadway history
Posted: 7/15/16 at 2:14pm

Liza's Headband said: "Pssttt... Your nose is a bit brown. 

Pssst...you're immature.

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable

binau Profile Photo
binau
#31Javier Muñoz - the most famous replacement actor in Broadway history
Posted: 7/15/16 at 6:38pm

Yes let someone get recognition when they deserve it. I find Jordan to be extremely funny too and he makes it fun to be here. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

broadwayguy91
#32Javier Muñoz - the most famous replacement actor in Broadway history
Posted: 7/16/16 at 1:36am

For those who caught victor victoria on broadway when Liza Minnelli replaced Julie Andrews , how was the response like at the time? I read somewhere that LIza helped to drive up ticket sales , but I would love to read any first hand accounts. I presume that Liza would have been considered a 'famous replacement'

Updated On: 7/16/16 at 01:36 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#33Javier Muñoz - the most famous replacement actor in Broadway history
Posted: 7/16/16 at 3:08am

broadwayguy91 said: "For those who caught victor victoria on broadway when Liza Minnelli replaced Julie Andrews , how was the response like at the time? I read somewhere that LIza helped to drive up ticket sales , but I would love to read any first hand accounts. I presume that Liza would have been considered a 'famous replacement'

"

The grosses are on record. In 1997, the strongest weeks were the 4 that Liza were in the show. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

broadwayguy91
#34Javier Muñoz - the most famous replacement actor in Broadway history
Posted: 7/16/16 at 3:54am

qolbinau said: "broadwayguy91 said: "For those who caught victor victoria on broadway when Liza Minnelli replaced Julie Andrews , how was the response like at the time? I read somewhere that LIza helped to drive up ticket sales , but I would love to read any first hand accounts. I presume that Liza would have been considered a 'famous replacement'

"

The grosses are on record. In 1997, the strongest weeks were the 4 that Liza were in the show. 

"

Thank you qolbinau :)

VintageSnarker
#35Javier Muñoz - the most famous replacement actor in Broadway history
Posted: 7/16/16 at 1:37pm

I was catching up on Odd Mom Out recently (no, I can't justify it) and while the Hamilton cameos, especially Javier's, were fun if you recognized the actors, part of the joke was also how the show hasn't made them recognizable to the general public. Granted, the episode didn't feature anyone who got nominated for a Tony but they might be succeeding in making the show the star and not the actors. 

hork Profile Photo
hork
#36Javier Muñoz - the most famous replacement actor in Broadway history
Posted: 7/16/16 at 1:51pm

VintageSnarker said: "I was catching up on Odd Mom Out recently (no, I can't justify it) and while the Hamilton cameos, especially Javier's, were fun if you recognized the actors, part of the joke was also how the show hasn't made them recognizable to the general public. Granted, the episode didn't feature anyone who got nominated for a Tony but they might be succeeding in making the show the star and not the actors. 

Other than Munoz, they were all chorus members. Why would they be recognizable to the general public?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#37Javier Muñoz - the most famous replacement actor in Broadway history
Posted: 7/17/16 at 4:54pm

People Magazine devoted an article to him.  As I tried to see if I could link it (a friend told me about it) there were at least 3 or 4 other People Mag articles about it...possibly all only on line...I couldn't tell you.

Pretty interesting for a relatively unknown Broadway actor.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#38Javier Muñoz - the most famous replacement actor in Broadway history
Posted: 7/17/16 at 10:13pm

This may be the most recent one:

http://www.people.com/article/javier-munoz-sexy-hamilton-lin-manuel-mirana

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#39Javier Muñoz - the most famous replacement actor in Broadway history
Posted: 7/17/16 at 10:25pm

That might be online only.  The title she sent me was Meet the New Hamilton. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Videos