pixeltracker

Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS- Page 2

Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS

Liza's Headband
#25Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 7/20/16 at 9:45am

Not sure who suggested it was for filming OITNB. It's true - she has some filming obligations but they're not for OITNB...  Anyway, she is fine. There's nothing wrong. An early-to-mid September return makes sense. 

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#26Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 7/21/16 at 10:40pm

Does anyone know if Kimiko was out for the recent performances besides Tuesday?

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#27Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 7/21/16 at 11:19pm

She was out tonight. Stephanie Torns was on. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#28Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 7/22/16 at 2:40am

NJ_BroadwayGirl said: "I don't follow them religiously but I do follow quite a few Waitress cast members on social media and I've seen photos of Torns in costume as Dawn several times over the past week. I wouldn't be surprised to see that Glenn is out on her leave as of now. 

"

Could you post a link to these photos? I'd love to see how she looks in costume!

Islander_fan
#29Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 7/22/16 at 4:03am

Torns has been on as Dawn ever since Kimiko left for her filming commitment. Considering that's been for awhile now, I'm surprised that the producers took this long to find someone else to play Dawn full time. 

However, for what it's worth, it's not like Kimiko is fired or anything like that. 

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#30Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 8/17/16 at 4:52pm

Looks like Stephanie is on for Jenna at the mat. Anyone know if she's also on tonight? 

AntV
#31Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 8/17/16 at 10:53pm

Any upcoming vacations/absences?

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#32Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 8/17/16 at 10:57pm

steven22 said: "Looks like Stephanie is on for Jenna at the mat. Anyone know if she's also on tonight? 

"

She was on as Jenna (Jessie Mueller's role) not for Jenna Ushkowitz

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#33Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 8/17/16 at 11:24pm

That's going to be confusing

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Jakeevan942
#34Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 8/18/16 at 1:03am

I was at the show tonight. The full cast was on, no understudies. The instagram post in question was at 10:48 Wednesday morning, so I'm thinking it may have been Tuesday night that Stephanie was on for Jessie

seahag2 Profile Photo
seahag2
#35Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 8/18/16 at 10:18pm

I was really happy when I saw that the character, Dawn, wasn't written as an Asian-American, but simply an American who happened to be played by an Asian actress in the OBC. A lot of actors of colors want more opportunities to take on non-race specific roles and I thought this was a good step forward. But with the casting of Jenna I've been a little confused about the direction of the character. And while I am SO happy for Jenna and I truly love her a lot, I'm afraid the character of Dawn will be coded as Asian instead of just American because of the precedent being set. Although I do realize the understudy for Dawn isn't Asian, the (only) two big name actresses to play her full time are. Was this replacement casting intentional? 

so I smile like Mona Lisa and I lay my Visa down
Updated On: 8/18/16 at 10:18 PM

mailhandler777
#36Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 8/19/16 at 10:17am

seahag2 said: "I was really happy when I saw that the character, Dawn, wasn't written as an Asian-American, but simply an American who happened to be played by an Asian actress in the OBC. A lot of actors of colors want more opportunities to take on non-race specific roles and I thought this was a good step forward. But with the casting of Jenna I've been a little confused about the direction of the character. And while I am SO happy for Jenna and I truly love her a lot, I'm afraid the character of Dawn will be coded as Asian instead of just American because of the precedent being set. Although I do realize the understudy for Dawn isn't Asian, the (only) two big name actresses to play her full time are. Was this replacement casting intentional? "

Jeanna deWaal played her at A.R.T. She is not Asian. 

Also all 3 understudies for Dawn are white(as is one for Becky). They are also Jessie's understudies. 

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

seahag2 Profile Photo
seahag2
#37Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 8/19/16 at 5:42pm

Right, she's not written as Asian but with this new casting, I have (perhaps premature) fears of her being forever coded as Asian. 

KathyNYC2
#38Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 8/19/16 at 6:35pm

Because there are so many Asian roles already?  I don't see the problem. The character makes a big thing about being "enthusiastically American" so personally I don't mind that the character is cast as someone other than Caucasian because frankly in today's climate, people can use the reminder that there are all types of Americans. Does she need to be Asian  specifically? No but I don't think two makes a forever pattern. 

seahag2 Profile Photo
seahag2
#39Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 8/20/16 at 12:18am

But that's the thing- because there are so few opportunities for Asian actors, it catches my eye when a role like this (meaning, no specific race) is given to Asian actors twice in a row. Of course, this type of casting is going in the right direction, implying that Americans can be any type of person, but when its intentionally given to a certain 'look,' then it just feels like forced diversity. This is all presumptuous though, I really do love Waitress and Sara Bareilles and hopefully my concerns fade as time goes on. 

KathyNYC2
#40Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 8/20/16 at 6:09am

Forced diversity? Hmmm...better than no diversity...and wrong if the recast has no talent and was only picked for diversity, but that is obviously not the case here.

I am thinking that Kimoko is not here and they were looking for a replacement for HER - not for Dawn in general.

I mean no disrespect, but I can't imagine why this would be a "concern that you want to fade as time goes on." If the character was originally cast with a white actress, would you be concerned that ALL future Dawns might be white? 

neonlightsxo
#41Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 8/29/16 at 2:22pm

Do we know when Kimiko is coming back?

Notreallysilent 2
#42Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 8/29/16 at 3:30pm

I'm not really sure in assuming thoufh it's September 6th since Jenna's final performance is September 4th

KathyNYC2
#43Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 8/29/16 at 7:22pm

I just saw this on twitter= maybe you'll get more info then.

#WaitressMusical's @JennaUshkowitz will be on @NBCNewYork TOMORROW at 12:30PM EST! Tune in & see our #NewDawnRising!

ClumsyDude15
#44Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 8/29/16 at 11:06pm

I don't know if this is any indication, but today they shot a new commercial with Jenna. Perhaps she's extended since there's been no mention of a replacement.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJtDZZNhbTM/

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

Notreallysilent 2
#45Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 8/29/16 at 11:56pm

From the pictures in her Instagram it doesn't seem Jenna was there. Idk if I just wasn't able to find her in the photos, 

ClumsyDude15
#46Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 8/30/16 at 12:54am

This post on Eric Anderson's Instagram makes it seem like she was there: 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJsfG9BBn8H

notalwaysontime Profile Photo
notalwaysontime
#47Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 8/30/16 at 2:18am

Jenna posted about being on her way to filming the comercial on snapchat too.

But I really hope this means she is extending, because I really want to try to fly out and see her in the show. If she sticks around for another, little over a month, I think I can make it work. I can't imagine they'd have her in the commercial and on the news just for her to leave a few days later though. (or that might just be my own wishful thinking!)

ClumsyDude15
#48Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 8/30/16 at 2:30am

Obviously nothing is set in stone or anything, but all things considered I'd say its not out of the question that she extended given the commercial and the press interview. 

Notreallysilent 2
#49Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 8/30/16 at 12:48pm

I really hope she did extend (or maybe she possibly  is becoming dawn full time). I'm excited thoufh to see this new commercial especially since it seems to include the entire cast, and looks closer to the real set. Also, did anyone else see the interview from today? I was only able to see the last part of the interview where she was talking about her podcast, but in curious as to what she said about waitress.