pixeltracker

People Are Dressing Like Slobs: Elizabeth Vincentelli- Page 2

People Are Dressing Like Slobs: Elizabeth Vincentelli

broadwayguy91
#25People Are Dressing Like Slobs: Elizabeth Vincentelli
Posted: 8/1/16 at 11:12am

CarlosAlberto said: "I've worn  shorts and comfortable sandals to the theater on matinee performances in the summer time. I have pretty feet and killer legs. I can carry it off. wink

"

I'd like to see receipts of those killer legs...

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#26People Are Dressing Like Slobs: Elizabeth Vincentelli
Posted: 8/1/16 at 11:12am

Petralicious said: "It is lack of respect to the performers and fellow auidence to dress like you are in living room to theater and on airplanes, restaurant etc. You really do not see this at all in Europe, if you do, it is usually tourist. The last thing I want or need to see is a mans gross toes or hairy armpits. Yuck"

Speak for yourself, John. First of all, most performers dress the same way you are deriding when they go to the theatre, so it seems unlikely they share in your antique ideas about dressing or respect. Second, you do not have standing to speak on behalf of fellow auidence, or even audiences. And this is not Europe. 

P.S. Anytime the posturing troll After Eight has your back, that should be a warning flag.

Petralicious Profile Photo
Petralicious
#27People Are Dressing Like Slobs: Elizabeth Vincentelli
Posted: 8/1/16 at 11:44am

Kad said: "For all the insistence that this is disrespectful to the performers, it's amazing that the only people complaining are exclusively other audience members.

"No wonder everybody from Patti LuPone on down is complaining that nobody knows how to behave anymore: If you dress like a child, chances are you’re going to act like one."

When They Go Low, I Go High
Updated On: 8/1/16 at 11:44 AM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#28People Are Dressing Like Slobs: Elizabeth Vincentelli
Posted: 8/1/16 at 11:45am

Using Patti LuPone as an example is rich irony, as she's never been known for her wardrobe. In fact, she talks at length in her memoir about how she dressed so shabbily during EVITA that she often went unrecognized at the stage door.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#29People Are Dressing Like Slobs: Elizabeth Vincentelli
Posted: 8/1/16 at 11:49am

broadwayguy91 said: "CarlosAlberto said: "I've worn  shorts and comfortable sandals to the theater on matinee performances in the summer time. I have pretty feet and killer legs. I can carry it off. wink

I'd like to see receipts of those killer legs...

Ha! I just bet you would!

"

Updated On: 8/1/16 at 11:49 AM

CarlosAlberto
#30People Are Dressing Like Slobs: Elizabeth Vincentelli
Posted: 8/1/16 at 11:52am

Petralicious said: "No wonder everybody from Patti LuPone on down is complaining that nobody knows how to behave anymore: If you dress like a child, chances are you’re going to act like one."

Okay this is bullsh!t of the highest order. 

Patti LuPone needs to stick to what she does best...how anyone dresses for the theater should not effect her performance in the least and if it does she needs to look into getting into another profession.

"

Updated On: 8/1/16 at 11:52 AM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#31People Are Dressing Like Slobs: Elizabeth Vincentelli
Posted: 8/1/16 at 11:56am

You pay for your ticket, you wear what you want.

Anyone who doesn't like it, that's their problem.

Caveat:

Nothing that smells

Nothing that makes noise

....but the world goes 'round

CarlosAlberto
#32People Are Dressing Like Slobs: Elizabeth Vincentelli
Posted: 8/1/16 at 11:57am

tazber said: "You pay for your ticket, you wear what you want.

Anyone who doesn't like it, that's their problem.

Caveat:

Nothing that smells

Nothing that makes noise

^ ^ THIS xINFINITY

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#33People Are Dressing Like Slobs: Elizabeth Vincentelli
Posted: 8/1/16 at 11:58am

Petralicious said: ""No wonder everybody from Patti LuPone on down is complaining that nobody knows how to behave anymore: If you dress like a child, chances are you’re going to act like one."
"

That is not a quote from Patti LuPone about how people dress. It's not a quote from Patti LuPone at all.

LuPone has been outspoken about disruptive audience members- especially cell phone use. But audience attire? I can't find much about her stance on that. Vincentelli is lumping together attire and behavior.
"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 8/1/16 at 11:58 AM

Petralicious
#34People Are Dressing Like Slobs: Elizabeth Vincentelli
Posted: 8/1/16 at 12:02pm

OK, well I guess I was raised differnet and am in minority. I just ask everyone, especially men, to please groom your bodyhair and clip your toenails.

CarlosAlberto
#35People Are Dressing Like Slobs: Elizabeth Vincentelli
Posted: 8/1/16 at 12:11pm

Petralicious said: "OK, well I guess I was raised differnet and am in minority. I just ask everyone, especially men, to please groom your bodyhair and clip your toenails.

Men don't trim their body hair and clip their toenails in the Ukraine? 

Petralicious
#36People Are Dressing Like Slobs: Elizabeth Vincentelli
Posted: 8/1/16 at 12:15pm

Dont know about that but in New York a lot do not.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#37People Are Dressing Like Slobs: Elizabeth Vincentelli
Posted: 8/1/16 at 12:19pm

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

People Are Dressing Like Slobs:  Elizabeth VincentelliPeople Are Dressing Like Slobs:  Elizabeth Vincentelli

Updated On: 8/1/16 at 12:19 PM

CarlosAlberto
#38People Are Dressing Like Slobs: Elizabeth Vincentelli
Posted: 8/1/16 at 12:20pm

FANtomFollies said: "I sort of hate dress codes because they automatically assume you look sloppy or not dressed-up if you are wearing shorts, jeans or a t-shirt, which simply isn't true. If you have good taste and know how to dress, you can still look pulled together. People Are Dressing Like Slobs:  Elizabeth Vincentelli

^ Exactly!! Love that outfit. 

FANtomFollies
#39People Are Dressing Like Slobs: Elizabeth Vincentelli
Posted: 8/1/16 at 12:24pm

^^^^I accidentally deleted my comment in my pics post, but CarlosAlberto quoated it above ^^^^ so it's there....

....jeez I'm not a fan of BwayWorld's posting system. :/

Updated On: 8/1/16 at 12:24 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#40People Are Dressing Like Slobs: Elizabeth Vincentelli
Posted: 8/1/16 at 12:24pm

and let's face it, if you look like that, no one's gonna complain about sitting next to you.

FANtomFollies
#41People Are Dressing Like Slobs: Elizabeth Vincentelli
Posted: 8/1/16 at 12:27pm

One more example - ripped jeans and a t-shirt and still fashionable and appropriate (in my opinion).People Are Dressing Like Slobs:  Elizabeth Vincentelli

After Eight
#42People Are Dressing Like Slobs: Elizabeth Vincentelli
Posted: 8/1/16 at 12:58pm

"One more example - ripped jeans and a t-shirt and still fashionable and appropriate (in my opinion)."

I'm glad you added "(in my opinion)."

Ghastly.

Updated On: 8/1/16 at 12:58 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#43People Are Dressing Like Slobs: Elizabeth Vincentelli
Posted: 8/1/16 at 1:04pm

Patti LuPone speaks about audience behavior.  I have never, ever, heard her address the way people dress.  

brdway411
#44People Are Dressing Like Slobs: Elizabeth Vincentelli
Posted: 8/1/16 at 1:12pm

We go to the theater at least once a week, we wear nice jeans ,a nice shirt and nice clean running shoes (we live in the city, it's a lot of walking). My only bitch is phones going off or people texting while the show is on and loud candy bags / ice in those stupid plastic cups. 

Petralicious
#45People Are Dressing Like Slobs: Elizabeth Vincentelli
Posted: 8/1/16 at 1:58pm

They are talking about crocs, flipflops, sweats, Not sure how you can argue with that. 

I do not think most people would consider any of the above examples slobs. They are classics as seen here but updated for today:

People Are Dressing Like Slobs:  Elizabeth VincentelliPeople Are Dressing Like Slobs:  Elizabeth Vincentelli

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#46People Are Dressing Like Slobs: Elizabeth Vincentelli
Posted: 8/1/16 at 2:19pm

Petra,

No one is questioning your right to express opinions about how people are dressed. Most of us sit around with our friends and dish on how other people are dressed; that's been going on since the time when cavemen first started donning loin cloths. Someone can look great in flipflops and sweats and someone else can look like a doofus in slacks and a jacket. But you can't legislate how people dress just because it does not align with your idea of what looks nice. What's next? Telling people they can't come to the theatre because you don't like the color of their skin? That's where you're headed.

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
#47People Are Dressing Like Slobs: Elizabeth Vincentelli
Posted: 8/1/16 at 2:29pm

Standards for dress are lower everywhere.  I work for a multinational company with offices in 42 countries and our "standard" for work is jeans and a dress shirt/polo.  The problem you run into is is the fact that they're there in the first place...and for all the crying we do about audiences not showing up...unless they stink, I'm in the camp that says "get comfy, sit back and enjoy the show" - and put your f***ing phone away

Updated On: 8/1/16 at 02:29 PM

CarlosAlberto
#48People Are Dressing Like Slobs: Elizabeth Vincentelli
Posted: 8/1/16 at 2:32pm

HogansHero said: "Petra,

No one is questioning your right to express opinions about how people are dressed. Most of us sit around with our friends and dish on how other people are dressed; that's been going on since the time when cavemen first started donning loin cloths. Someone can look great in flipflops and sweats and someone else can look like a doofus in slacks and a jacket. But you can't legislate how people dress just because it does not align with your idea of what looks nice. What's next? Telling people they can't come to the theatre because you don't like the color of their skin? That's where you're headed.

@HogansHero: I am so on the same page. I was reading Petra's response(s) and thinking to myself: "Whoa! Where is this person headed? Are they seriously "going there"? 

Petralicious
#49People Are Dressing Like Slobs: Elizabeth Vincentelli
Posted: 8/1/16 at 2:42pm

CarlosAlberto said: "HogansHero said: "Petra,

@HogansHero: I am so on the same page. I was reading Petra's response(s) and thinking to myself: "Whoa! Where is this person headed? Are they seriously "going there"? 

" Gentlemen, I think you are having the wrong idea.  I am not saying it should be legislated, or a law or anything like that.  I just think it is nice for people to get dressed up, not in tuxedo and ballgowns but in nice, clean comfortable neat clothes that. Something you would wear to meet a blind date, or your BF parents in not something that looks like you just rolled out of the bed or from the beach.  Nice restaurants and clubs and bars have dress codes, schools and people seem to be able to follow, Europe as well.  To me it is nice, and special. and Hogan, come on now with color of skin. 

Updated On: 8/1/16 at 02:42 PM