pixeltracker

An American in Paris Tour!- Page 3

An American in Paris Tour!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#50An American in Paris Tour!
Posted: 8/20/17 at 10:03pm

Etai made his final appearance as Adam today and Stephen Brower will be replacing him! https://instagram.com/p/BYBd9ldld6R/

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

broadwaysfguy
#51An American in Paris Tour!
Posted: 9/14/17 at 2:35am

i saw this tonight in san francisco, after seeing the OBC in the second month in NY.

Still think this is one of the most overrated musicals of the last ten years-the arrangements of the great gershwin songs are not great and the decision to make most of them two or three part songs was dilutive.

I thought both leads were fine singers and dancers, but neither were great actors and it hurt the caliber of the show.. the supporting actors were great especially the henri and adam characters, and  Bob Crowley was genius as always on the costumes and sets and the sets are especially cool on this show(tony winner). the dancing was top notch fine although I think on the town OBC should have won best choreography 

this a "ballet-cical" not a musical and if you like good ballet youll probably like this show. this is not one I need to see any more times, sorry to just miss Etai Benson by a few weeks as Adam ill bet he was great in that role...

broadwaysfguy
#52An American in Paris Tour!
Posted: 9/14/17 at 9:02pm

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/09/14/review-so-just-how-swonderful-is-an-american-in-paris/

Karen D'Souza at the mercury news again gets the review mostly right (she is by far one of the only reliable reviewers left in the SF bay Area) the leads are flat, the support characters are much better the dancing and sets are really good (if you love ballet)

If you havent seen it and like musicals its worth going for sure, but It probably wont make your top 10 list....

Updated On: 9/14/17 at 09:02 PM

Cat Guy Profile Photo
Cat Guy
#53An American in Paris Tour!
Posted: 9/14/17 at 9:12pm

I saw the production in San Diego this past weekend, and cried tears of joy throughout most of it.  Perfection.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#54An American in Paris Tour!
Posted: 9/15/17 at 1:13am

I saw this on Broadway and didn't hate it, but yes, it isn't great acting or singing, but dancing wise it's gorgeous and the design/direction is great. 

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#55An American in Paris Tour!
Posted: 9/18/17 at 9:11am

As with most tours, the second year brings some casting changes - Glad to see Matthew Scott making his return to the role of Adam that he was fantastic in on Broadway and excited to see Allison Walsh as Lise as I didn't get the chance to on Broadway. 

The producers of AN AMERICAN IN PARIS, winner of four Tony Awards, are pleased to announce the cast for the second year of the North American tour, beginning with the Albuquerque, NM engagement on October 17. Allison Walsh(Anastasia) joins the tour as Lise Dassin. Walsh, who was a Lise alternate and part of the ensemble in the Broadway production, replaces Sara Esty in the role. Matthew Scott(Sondheim on Sondheim), who starred as Adam Hochberg in An American in Paris on Broadway, will reprise that role for the tour. Other new principals include Ben Michael(Fiddler on the Roof) as Henri Baurel, Kirsten Scott (Follies) as Milo Davenport, and Teri Hansen (Show Boat, Boys from Syracuse) as Madame Baurel. They star opposite McGee Maddox, a former Principal Dancer with The National Ballet of Canada, who plays Jerry Mulligan in the tour. Deanna Doyle (Phantom of the Opera, Tuck Everlasting) joins as the Lise alternate, and David Prottas (New York City Ballet), who has been with the tour from the beginning, takes over as the Jerry alternate.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Allison-Walsh-Matthew-Scott-and-More-Join-AN-AMERICAN-IN-PARIS-Tour-Full-Cast-Announced-20170918

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 9/18/17 at 09:11 AM

johannabarker
#56An American in Paris Tour!
Posted: 9/18/17 at 11:38am

Deanna Doyle was an outstanding Meg Giry in Phantom and is very sweet. I see great things for her in the future.

Bette's Turban Profile Photo
Bette's Turban
#57An American in Paris Tour!
Posted: 9/19/17 at 2:54pm

I recently saw this tour and I must say I am glad I didn't waste one of my precious nights in last years trip to the city.   I was bored. 

bear88
#58An American in Paris Tour!
Posted: 9/26/17 at 2:43am

I am going to see this Wednesday night, assuming I get a rush ticket (not too concerned), and so I guess I will see the much-praised (on this thread) Ryan Steele. For those who have seen him, how is he different from Maddox as Jerry?

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#59An American in Paris Tour!
Posted: 9/26/17 at 11:29am

bear88 said: "I am going to see this Wednesday night, assuming I get a rush ticket (not too concerned), and so I guess I will see the much-praised (on this thread) Ryan Steele. For those who have seen him, how is he different from Maddox as Jerry?"

McGee is very much in the Gene Kelly mold: big and athletic, looks like a 1940s football player, that kind of movement. He's a great dancer and a pleasant singer, but I found his Jerry to be just a little too... pushy, I guess. He didn't have the charm or chemistry with his Lise to make it seem like a mutual attraction, and instead came across a little stalker-ish and angry at times. He's a lovely dancer, but that soured my opinion of his Jerry.

On the other hand, Ryan reminded me more of the Robbie Fairchild version of the character: reads very young and boyish and seems more like he's bursting with enthusiasm. His voice is a little thinner than McGee's, but his dancing is divine, and I personally found his Jerry endlessly charming. He reads more like a boy who had to go to war and is trying to get that youthfulness back, rather than a "big man on campus" type. 

Needless to say, I loved the tour very much, and I hope you enjoy it too!

lpena02
#60An American in Paris Tour!
Posted: 9/26/17 at 7:06pm

I've never watched AAIP, but I love it a lot. If anyone happens to see Allison as Lise (I'm a large fan of hers), would it be too much to ask for a program or a playbill? Let me know!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#61An American in Paris Tour!
Posted: 9/27/17 at 10:15am

This video of Weston Krukow and Nick Spangler is adorable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekUCGHRw-EI&feature=youtu.be

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

bear88
#62An American in Paris Tour!
Posted: 9/28/17 at 2:28am

My insta-review on the train home from Wednesday night's performance:

The highlights are the set design and staging. Emily Ferranti, as Milo Davenport, and Gayton Scott, as Madame Buriel, make the strongest impressions - which probably isn't a great sign considering that they are supporting characters.

Ryan Steele is a likeable Jerry, and his best moment comes in 'Fidgety Feet,' a light song that he and the ensemble turn into an unexpected highlight. Sara Esty is a lovely ballet dancer, but her Lise is miserable so much of the time that it's hard to buy into the love story - and everyone is supposed to be in love with her. That's not all her fault, and she's better when we can just watch her dance.

The story is more serious than the film, but it's also sillier at the same time. The inconsistent tone doesn't really work, and even with the Gershwin score and live performances, the show only occasionally takes flight.

Perhaps this is just my problem with screen-to-stage musical adaptations of films I really love. But I kept waiting for magic and never really got it.

Updated On: 9/28/17 at 02:28 AM

Wayman_Wong
#63An American in Paris Tour!
Posted: 10/4/17 at 12:54am

I just wanted to echo bwayrose7's stellar assessment of Ryan Steele as Jerry in this Gershwin dance extravaganza. He's ''got rhythm, he's got music,'' plus athletic grace galore. On Broadway, I've seen this dynamic dancer in the ensembles of ''West Side Story,'' ''Matilda'' and ''Newsies,'' but in ''An American in Paris,'' he gets to sing and strut his stuff as a leading man. Steele partners beautifully with Leigh-Ann Esty, and does dazzling solo turns in the whirl of Christopher Wheeldon's Tony-winning choreography. He'll soon be leaving this tour, but if you want to catch Steele as Jerry in S.F., he's got 2 more shows: Wed., Oct. 4, at 8 p.m. & Sat., Oct. 7, at 2 p.m. Go!

Updated On: 10/4/17 at 12:54 AM