Hamilton in Chicago

sarahb22 Profile Photo
sarahb22
#75Hamilton in Chicago
Posted: 9/26/16 at 12:38pm

I'm not sure I'm even going to try for Chicago, even though it's much closer to me than NYC.  It looks like just about every seat in that theater has problems, and I'm sure the halfway decent ones were sold long ago to subscribers and presale.  Maybe I'll just see what I can get for Detroit...

Fosse76
#76Hamilton in Chicago
Posted: 9/26/16 at 4:17pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Does anyone know where this rehearsal room is? https://twitter.com/steph_klem/status/778334463755366401Or where all Broadway in Chicago sit down productions rehearse! I'm guessing the Joffrey ballet since it's right across the street."

Why would they rehears at the Joffrey Ballet when they have two large rehearsal rooms at the Oriental Theatre?

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#77Hamilton in Chicago
Posted: 9/26/16 at 4:57pm

Not only are tons of seats in the theater obstructed or partial view, the theater is HUGE. I get its because they want to sell more tickets, but now any mezz seats are realllllly far from the stage, plus the lobby of the privatebank is ridicously small and not so great looking. Not sure why they wouldn't have chosen the Oriental, which has a much larger lobby and better seating. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#78Hamilton in Chicago
Posted: 9/26/16 at 5:03pm

luvcaroline said: "One more week until performances start!  For your listening pleasure, here's the beautiful Ari Afsar:  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL7VOw8ifjo&list=PLq9gzUlPaWWV2j8Eph0PYZHFWlmXVJKsT

I hadn't known anything about her, but now I'm in love with her voice.  Can't wait to see her as Eliza!
"

She has a really compelling voice - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft8l_IffQYw

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#79Hamilton in Chicago
Posted: 9/26/16 at 5:07pm

Fosse76 said: "Call_me_jorge said: "Does anyone know where this rehearsal room is? https://twitter.com/steph_klem/status/778334463755366401Or where all Broadway in Chicago sit down productions rehearse! I'm guessing the Joffrey ballet since it's right across the street."

Why would they rehears at the Joffrey Ballet when they have two large rehearsal rooms at the Oriental Theatre?

"

They aren't at the oriental and there are??? Wow. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Leaf Coneybear
#80Hamilton in Chicago
Posted: 9/27/16 at 11:14am

Just entered the lottery, is anyone else having trouble receiving their confirmation email? I entered like 20 minutes ago and still haven't gotten it.......

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#81Hamilton in Chicago
Posted: 9/27/16 at 11:26am

Leaf Coneybear said: "Not only are tons of seats in the theater obstructed or partial view, the theater is HUGE. I get its because they want to sell more tickets, but now any mezz seats are realllllly far from the stage, plus the lobby of the privatebank is ridicously small and not so great looking. Not sure why they wouldn't have chosen the Oriental, which has a much larger lobby and better seating."

I don't understand how/why the PrivateBank Theater has gotten this reputation for being huge. It's about the size of a Broadway house. It's considerably smaller than the other two major theaters that Broadway in Chicago uses. They would have sold many, many more seats a performance if they booked either other theater.

Yes, there are poles. And that stinks. But it's a great deal more intimate than either of the other houses.

Jesus saves. I spend.

sarahb22 Profile Photo
sarahb22
#82Hamilton in Chicago
Posted: 9/27/16 at 12:12pm

From what I understand, it's not just the poles. It's that the mezzanine and balcony overhangs start very far forward, resulting in most of the back orchestra and mezzanine seats having an obstructed view from the top ( I imagine if you're in the back few rows you feel like you're in a cave - miles from the stage AND you've got this low ceiling over you).  The balcony is also pitched so that the further back you sit, the more the bottom of the stage is cut off, with the result that EVERYONE in the balcony leans forward to see the front part of the stage.  The slant is also just about nonexistent, so if someone tall sits in front of you you're just about totally blocked. Let's just say, the pictures on "view from my seat" are not very encouraging.

Leaf Coneybear
#83Hamilton in Chicago
Posted: 9/27/16 at 12:20pm

Sarah- exactly what I'm talking about. For some shows it might not matter, like I saw the Book of Mormon there a few months ago and wasn't bothered much, but since so many parts of the show take place on that wooden balcony above the stage, it would stink to not be able to see any of that. Not to mention for people in the balcony, King George's songs won't be very enjoyable since he goes way up to the edge of the stage.

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#84Hamilton in Chicago
Posted: 9/27/16 at 12:52pm

Yes. That's mostly true... but it's not huge. It's certainly not HUGE.

Both the balcony and the mezzanine have steep inclines. The Dress Circle does not... perhaps that's what you mean. Unless you're in the front row, the Dress Circle should be avoided at all costs. 

The seats that are not obstructed provide fairly intimate views. It's more similar to a Broadway house in size and shape than either of the other theaters. This is why most of the tryouts we get in Chicago are played there, it's why most of the sit-downs are played there, and it's likely why Hamilton is being played there. 

Jesus saves. I spend.
Updated On: 9/27/16 at 12:52 PM

neonlightsxo
#85Hamilton in Chicago
Posted: 9/27/16 at 1:12pm

After waiting in "line" for nearly an hour, I managed to get some seats in the front mezzanine. That wasn't my ideal choice but it'll be fine. I wasn't able to get anything closer-- Ticketmaster was impossible. I've never had a worse ticket buying experience than that.

Leaf Coneybear
#86Hamilton in Chicago
Posted: 9/27/16 at 2:53pm

neon - Agreed. Not as bad as the first time around, but still pretty awful.

neonlightsxo
#87Hamilton in Chicago
Posted: 9/27/16 at 2:58pm

This was my first time buying tickets for Ham in Chicago, as I live in NY, but I never had any trouble like that purchasing Hamilton tickets for Broadway. It's insanity!

MyLife
#88Hamilton in Chicago
Posted: 9/27/16 at 3:00pm

Tons of tickets available now for what looks like all dates in this new block. Easy to get now that the rush has died down. I should have waited. The date I initially wanted is available!

neonlightsxo
#89Hamilton in Chicago
Posted: 9/27/16 at 3:07pm

Just took a look at the date I bought for, and nearly everything left in the orchestra is marked premium. So I guess I made the right choice earlier!

ImAGeneralWEE
#90Hamilton in Chicago
Posted: 9/28/16 at 1:19am

Just got home from the first preview performance.  It was incredible!  I just bought more tickets for the next block.  My poor credit card.

I was a little worried in Act 1 because I'm so used to the cast recording and memories of when I saw the near-original cast in May. But by Act 2 I was just deliriously happy. Brief thoughts:

Hamilton: Miguel is rock solid. Totally comfortable.

Eliza: Ari was the biggest surprise of the night for me. She has a sweeter and happier presence than Phillipa (who I thought was great in the role as well) and it comes across as very genuine, never forced, and it totally works for the role. Her voice is absolutely beautiful and she did a wonderful job.

Burr: There is a lot to like about Josh's performance.  He's very expressive and I loved "Room..." and "Nonstop"; I didn't love "Wait for It"  yet (maybe my favorite song in the show).  I'm glad we have him and I think he will be great.

Angelica: Karen obviously has a ton of presence and captures attention, which is perfect for the role. I actually missed Renee vocally (especially during Satisfied), but in Act 2 Karen really settled in.

Washington: I have a hard time letting go of Chris Jackson, but the actor did a really nice job and I loved One Last Time.

Lafayette/Jefferson: So, Daveed was basically a unicorn and we will never get that back and I'm learning to accept it. Moving on. The actor is very young looking! His Lafayette wasn't my favorite and I was slightly worried, but his Jefferson was FANTASTIC.  I completely understood why they cast him after "What'd I Miss?".  Absolutely loved him. 

Mulligan/Madison: Did a great job, totally solid.

Laurens/Philip: Same as above.

Peggy/Maria: Sammi KILLED as Maria. One of my MVPs for sure.  So much charisma.

King George: Loved Alexander in this role so much more than I expected.  He's different in type from Jonathan/Rory but absolutely fantastic. I saw and loved Rory in NY but I actually think I liked this better!

Time to enter the lottery EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

toofunktastic2
#91Hamilton in Chicago
Posted: 9/28/16 at 2:56am

Chris Lee looks young because he is very young. He just turned 22 on the 19th.  Glad you enjoyed the show!  I have a couple of friends seeing the show this week, and I'm excited to see their reports.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#92Hamilton in Chicago
Posted: 9/28/16 at 9:45am

Any word on how long Karen will be with the show?

Jennabee
#93Hamilton in Chicago
Posted: 9/28/16 at 11:03am

ImAGeneralWEE said: "Just got home from the first preview performance.  It was incredible!  "

Thanks so much for the review!!  Can't wait to see it.

Where did you sit and how were your sight lines?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#94Hamilton in Chicago
Posted: 9/28/16 at 12:49pm

TotallyEffed said: "Any word on how long Karen will be with the show?

"

I believe they are on 6 month contracts.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#95Hamilton in Chicago
Posted: 9/28/16 at 12:55pm

Thanks a lot! I just bought tickets for April, I would be thrilled if she was still there.

ImAGeneralWEE
#96Hamilton in Chicago
Posted: 9/28/16 at 1:11pm

Jennabee said: "ImAGeneralWEE said: "Just got home from the first preview performance.  It was incredible!  "

Thanks so much for the review!!  Can't wait to see it.

Where did you sit and how were your sight lines?

"

I was in the right orchestra, row N, "limited view."  I figured it would be okay because it was still sold at full price, and it was pretty good. A few things were out of view (for example, Philip announcing the loss of the Senate seat) but nothing that interfered with my enjoyment of the show.  Then again, I've seen it before. The vast number of obstructed view seats in the Privatebank really bugs me! And if you go look at the remaining single seats in the first block, they are now being sold for premium prices even if they are in nonpremium locations. Really annoying.

Jennabee
#97Hamilton in Chicago
Posted: 9/28/16 at 1:32pm

ImAGeneralWEE said: "I was in the right orchestra, row N, "limited view."  I figured it would be okay because it was still sold at full price, and it was pretty good. "

Thanks, that's encouraging!  We'll be in right orchestra, row H, and nothing about limited view.  So if your seats were pretty good then ours should be just fine?  (We haven't seen it yet at all and definitely want to see everything we possibly can!!)

Agreed about the annoying pricing, grr.

ImAGeneralWEE
#98Hamilton in Chicago
Posted: 9/28/16 at 1:49pm

Jennabee said: "ImAGeneralWEE said: "I was in the right orchestra, row N, "limited view."  I figured it would be okay because it was still sold at full price, and it was pretty good. "

Thanks, that's encouraging!  We'll be in right orchestra, row H, and nothing about limited view.  So if your seats were pretty good then ours should be just fine?  (We haven't seen it yet at all and definitely want to see everything we possibly can!!)

Agreed about the annoying pricing, grr.

"

Your seats should be really good!  I bought tickets in a similar location for the next block (side orchestra, row G, no obstruction marked). Apparently Lin was in the left section, row D last night...

Jennabee
#99Hamilton in Chicago
Posted: 9/28/16 at 2:55pm

ImAGeneralWEE said: "Your seats should be really good! "

Whew!  Thanks!