#25Best Show for an almost 9 year old girl
Posted: 9/26/16 at 5:44pm

They saw Wicked already

whoops, sorry!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#26Best Show for an almost 9 year old girl
Posted: 9/26/16 at 6:23pm

I think they're both too much for a 9 yo.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

SarahNYC2
#27Best Show for an almost 9 year old girl
Posted: 9/26/16 at 6:41pm

JPeterman said: "I think it really depends on the maturity of your daughter, and your parenting style.  I have three daughters who are all pretty mature for their age.  They vary in age - both older and younger than yours .... they all saw Matilda on tour and the only one who really liked it was my youngest daughter who is a lot younger than yours. I am not bashing Matilda, I personally loved it.   My 10 year old saw Gentlemans Guide on tour and absolutely loved it, so it really depends on your daughter.  My guess is that if she is not interested in School of Rock, she may not like Matilda very much.

Regarding Dear Evan Hansen, most mature middle schoolers would like it, but as one poster said, you have to be ok with a good number of sexual jokes and heavy emotional themes and references.  Having seen it off Broadway, I would not take my 10 year old to it for that reason.

There is nothing inappropriate in Great Comet.  I would definitely take my two older daughters to see it - they would love it.  They are both artsy and creative, and would enjoy the show's unique staging and style.

I don't know if you are able to consider Hamilton, but if it was me, I would wait until the day of the show and try to get ticketmaster resale tickets the day of the show as the price drops toward show time. If that doesn't work, you could just walk up to the box office at Matilda, Cats, Great Comet, or DEH and buy something last minute.

"

If I was able to get Hamilton tickets without truly breaking the bank that would be my ultimate choice. Unfortunately we are flying in that morning. The next day she's with her dad.

Everyone-this is such a great community. I really appreciate all the advice. I should have mentioned-Aladdin is not a consideration. We've been on the Disney cruise 3 x and have seen Aladdin-I get it's not exactly the same. But with only 1 night and our time in NYC is always limited I want to expose her to something new. 

She actually is very mature-everyone has given me a lot to think about, consider.

freewilma
#28Best Show for an almost 9 year old girl
Posted: 9/26/16 at 6:43pm

My first suggestion would be Aladdin, second School of Rock and third Matilda.  I've gone with kids (a few years older than 9) and all of these were a big hit.  The kids who perform in School of Rock are incredibly talented and sure to be an inspiration to many 9 year olds.  Aladdin is just a lot of fun, with huge production numbers that engage most kids.  

SarahNYC2
#29Best Show for an almost 9 year old girl
Posted: 9/26/16 at 6:54pm

I may just buy the School of Rock. She only saw a bit on the Tony's so not the whole show. And many of her friends in NYC have seen it and seemed to like it.

daijop
#30Best Show for an almost 9 year old girl
Posted: 9/26/16 at 9:48pm

I have a 10 year old daughter who has seen Matilda 4 times over the past couple of years and still wants to see it again before it closes. She also loved school of rock but not as much as Matilda. 

MinervaMoon Profile Photo
MinervaMoon
#31Best Show for an almost 9 year old girl
Posted: 9/27/16 at 11:12am

Matilda is closing on January 1st and the Broadway cast is stellar, not to mention that there are so many polished special effects that work better at the Shubert than in any tour theater I've seen. You seem to be strangely opposed to the idea, but Matilda is what you should see.

Hamilton Emotional Support Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/hamiltonsupport/

playbill-love
#32Best Show for an almost 9 year old girl
Posted: 9/27/16 at 11:24am

MinervaMoon said: "Matilda is closing on January 1st and the Broadway cast is stellar, not to mention that there are so many polished special effects that work better at the Shubert than in any tour theater I've seen. You seem to be strangely opposed to the idea, but Matilda is what you should see.

"

I agree completely

loveinnewyorkcity Profile Photo
loveinnewyorkcity
#33Best Show for an almost 9 year old girl
Posted: 9/28/16 at 9:56pm

I think 'Beautiful' would be great! Some adult themes, but it's a very mild show. The storyline is easy to follow and the music is fantastic. The touring cast isn't quite as good as the Broadway cast so a national tour would not do the show justice. Also, a lot of the show takes place in NYC and in my opinion, there's something magical about seeing a show set in NYC while you're in NYC. So either this or Jersey Boys, maybe. 

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#34Best Show for an almost 9 year old girl
Posted: 10/5/16 at 6:33pm

On Your Feet! would be a good option too, in my opinion. Dear Evan Hansen, if you're willing to have a talk with her afterwards, because it's heavy. And like everyone else has said, Matilda would be wonderful.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#35Best Show for an almost 9 year old girl
Posted: 10/13/16 at 12:02am

"Matilda" !! Just saw it w my 10-yr old daughter and she went nuts for it --- the cast was amazing !! 

Aviva Winick was on as Matilda , and she was incredible ! 

I wanted to take her to see "Aladdin" as well -- her reply "ok, after we see "Matilda" five more times!" 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#36Best Show for an almost 9 year old girl
Posted: 10/13/16 at 6:06am

Please don't bring her to Beautiful.  A nice enough show, but there is nothing of interest for a 9 year old.  It's a biography.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#37Best Show for an almost 9 year old girl
Posted: 10/13/16 at 8:18am

Maybe another option would be "In Transit". Of course, no one has seen it yet but the premise might be interesting to your daughter if she's into the whole accapella / "Pitch Perfect" craze.

Updated On: 10/13/16 at 08:18 AM