pixeltracker

Dave Malloy returns to Great Comet!- Page 3

Dave Malloy returns to Great Comet!

PaulWom
#50Dave Malloy returns to Great Comet!
Posted: 5/7/17 at 12:48am

Sally, there are fantastic discount codes out there for basically the same prices as rush, but in better locations like rear mezz 

zedpi
#51Dave Malloy returns to Great Comet!
Posted: 5/7/17 at 1:26pm

Sat on-stage for Malloy's performance on Thursday. Malloy adds an extra weariness to Pierre that is missing from Groban's performance. Malloy's Pierre is older, clumsier and literally heavier. It was unforgettable to be so close to him as he repeatedly thumped on his chest and practically screamed parts of Dust and Ashes.  In summary: Breathtaking.

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#52Dave Malloy returns to Great Comet!
Posted: 5/7/17 at 3:08pm

Thank you for the tips, everyone! Looking forward to Tuesday night!

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

willep
#53Dave Malloy returns to Great Comet!
Posted: 5/7/17 at 8:02pm

Just back from seeing Dave Malloy at today's matinee. I'm a longtime fan of the show and have seen it a handful of times, but never with Malloy. That being said, I've been listening to the Original Cast Recording since I first saw it four years ago, so it was such a treat to finally see his performance. Groban does a wonderful job acting the role of Pierre, but Malloy is just Pierre in a way that Groban will never be for me. Of course I was most interested to hear his Dust and Ashes, and I thought he just killed it. The gruff, raw emotion he brought to it was very powerful. Hope to make it back to see another one of his remaining dates, but if I don't I am thrilled that I got to see it.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#54Dave Malloy returns to Great Comet!
Posted: 5/7/17 at 9:25pm

Caught Dave at the Saturday matinee, and the scenes where he engages with other original cast members, especially Lucas Steele seem extra charged. They both seemed to really be basking in just being in that space together...

HSky
#55Dave Malloy returns to Great Comet!
Posted: 5/7/17 at 10:57pm

^ I was at the same performance - is it me, or was "Balaga" also more of a party than usual? It might have been one of my favorite moments watching him play the piano with Or Matias, but the energy seemed even higher and that's saying a lot about that scene.

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#56Dave Malloy returns to Great Comet!
Posted: 5/8/17 at 12:47am

haterobics said: "Caught Dave at the Saturday matinee, and the scenes where he engages with other original cast members, especially Lucas Steele seem extra charged. They both seemed to really be basking in just being in that space together...

^ yes to all this; super dedicated kudos to Dave. I do think he started to have some "vocal adjustments" toward the end of Act 2; he seemed a bit tired. (Does Dave wear padding like JG?) 

The cast was ready, willing and totally able...great solos Nick and Nicholas..Lucas' sexy bad boy still jaw dropping and fun, what a LadyKiller! So glad I saw DM; still seeing Josh again before he leaves. 

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#57Dave Malloy returns to Great Comet!
Posted: 5/8/17 at 6:44am

HSky said: "^ I was at the same performance - is it me, or was "Balaga" also more of a party than usual? It might have been one of my favorite moments watching him play the piano with Or Matias, but the energy seemed even higher and that's saying a lot about that scene."

Everything seemed amped up to me. Sometimes, when I attend a Saturday matinee, I wonder how much they are holding back because they know they have to do it all again that night. I didn't get that sense at all this time. Even the musicians in Pierre's Salon seemed to be jumping around and having a ball during Balaga.

MoveOnGypsy Profile Photo
MoveOnGypsy
#58Dave Malloy returns to Great Comet!
Posted: 5/8/17 at 7:09am

Just a head's up, when I saw the show on Sunday there wasn't a synopsis in the playbill. The staff claimed that production said it was too expensive. Although it didn't hinder my enjoyment or understanding of the show, it would've been nice!

schubox
#59Dave Malloy returns to Great Comet!
Posted: 5/8/17 at 12:47pm

MoveOnGypsy said: "Just a head's up, when I saw the show on Sunday there wasn't a synopsis in the playbill. The staff claimed that production said it was too expensive. Although it didn't hinder my enjoyment or understanding of the show, it would've been nice!

"

That's odd. They literally tell you to check your program in the Prologue 

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#60Dave Malloy returns to Great Comet!
Posted: 5/8/17 at 12:49pm

The character tree is still there, and the Prologue is more about the characters than the plot anyway. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

PaulWom
#61Dave Malloy returns to Great Comet!
Posted: 5/8/17 at 12:52pm

That's odd. I noticed it about a month ago and the ushers told me it was a decision by the creators

PaulWom
#62Dave Malloy returns to Great Comet!
Posted: 5/8/17 at 1:04pm

I do agree with wonderfulwizard, though- I understand why they chose to do it, as Prologue is more about learning who the characters are, and the family tree does that without giving away the plot,