CAROUSEL Revival?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#50CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/11/17 at 12:50pm

Please, after hearing what he did with The Sound of Music

What did you hear?  I really enjoyed it.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#51CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/11/17 at 1:26pm

"Can't comment on Charlie, but his Sound Of Music was actually pretty fantastic. I think he removed the deeply confusing aspects of the show..."

I have to say, if you find anything in The Sound of Music "confusing," you may need to see a shrink.

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#52CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/11/17 at 2:33pm

I love Josh Henry and all, but he has a pop rock belt. I don't know if he would be the best person to sing the role.  

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#53CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/11/17 at 2:34pm

Valentina3 said: "Can't comment on Charlie, but his Sound Of Music was actually pretty fantastic. I think he removed the deeply confusing aspects of the show, and cleaned it up quite a bit. It was a touring production, so was on a lighter side wrt sets etc, but the talent on stage and pace of the show was undeniable."

I actually thought his direction was the worst part of the production. Too contemporary.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#54CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/11/17 at 10:22pm

Butter Broadway said: "I love Josh Henry and all, but he has a pop rock belt. I don't know if he would be the best person to sing the role.  

"

I don't know about that. He's been in a shows with more classic sounding music like Shuffle Along, porgy and Bess and scottsboro boys. He's sounded fine with them. I think he would be a revelation as Billy.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#55CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/11/17 at 10:29pm

Would Joshua Henry be a conventional Billy?  No.  Would he be phenomenal?  Absolutely.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#56CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/11/17 at 10:33pm

I still would like to know what was confusing about The Sound of Music. It's a pretty straightforward, linear show  

I saw the tour, found it mostly run of the mill with the exception of a resplendent Ashley Brown. I thought his direction was rather pedestrian- neither good nor bad. That whole production felt like it could have been done at any local community theater. Either way, I didn't notice any large scale changes, so I'm curious what people think he changed. 

Call_me_jorge
#57CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/13/17 at 4:51pm

I just came across this video and I think they have great chemistry. https://youtu.be/4KqfNKgwvP0

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

pupscotch
#58CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/16/17 at 10:09pm

I guess this is confirmed with Renee Fleming, Jessie Mueller, and Joshua Henry. I think it'll be terrific! Excited to see who they get for Carrie! https://t.co/bSqeND3ZFI

Updated On: 4/16/17 at 10:09 PM

Butter Broadway
#59CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/16/17 at 10:11pm

I can't read the article cause I've reached my free limit. Can someone copy and paste please?

Butter Broadway
#60CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/16/17 at 10:14pm

Never mind I got it. Sounds interesting! Don't really know what theatre they're aiming for. Not really interested in seeing Carousel either...

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#61CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/16/17 at 10:15pm

The basic gist:

The producers Scott Rudin and Roy Furman plan to revive the show next spring, with Jessie Mueller as Julie Jordan, Joshua Henry as Billy Bigelow, and Renée Fleming as Nettie Fowler. Ms. Fleming, of course, is a renowned soprano who might be stepping away from staged opera after a production of “Der Rosenkavalier” that just opened at the Metropolitan Opera; Ms. Mueller won a Tony Award for “Beautiful”; and Mr. Henry is now starring as Aaron Burr in the touring production of “Hamilton.”

The revival, scheduled to open on March 23 in an unspecified theater, is to be directed by Jack O’Brien, a three-time Tony winner (for “Hairspray,” “Henry IV” and “The Coast of Utopia&rdquoCAROUSEL Revival? who is now directing “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” on Broadway. And it will be choreographed by Justin Peck, the 29-year-old dancer who is a resident choreographer of the New York City Ballet.

Call_me_jorge
#62CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/16/17 at 10:19pm

Would love to see Jenn gambatese reprise Carrie. She was superb in the lyric production. 

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#63CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/16/17 at 10:29pm

icecreambenjamin said: "Would Joshua Henry be a conventional Billy?  No.  Would he be phenomenal?  Absolutely.

"

Exactly!

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#64CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 4/17/17 at 2:05pm

newintown said: ""Can't comment on Charlie, but his Sound Of Music was actually pretty fantastic. I think he removed the deeply confusing aspects of the show..."

I have to say, if you find anything in The Sound of Music "confusing," you may need to see a shrink.
"

I misspoke when I said confusing. There were things in the show which were contradictory or even tasteless. I hated the nuns singing "Maria (Reprise)" during her wedding. It made no sense why a group of women would sing what is essentially a diss song about the bride as she's walking down the aisle. He moved that scene to happen as the nuns are getting Maria ready for the wedding, which I thought was an elegant and effective way of fixing that. It's now a cutesy teasing song between the bride and her bridesmaids (which is what these nuns meant to Maria, as her only female friends in the show).

I know a young Mother Abbess is controversial topic here, but to me - her age and beauty was an important part of understanding why Maria was able to open up to her more. A Mother Abbess in her early-40s was acutely aware of what they're asking a teenage Maria to give up as she's on the brink of vowing celibacy. There were more layers in that relationship than before. I'm not saying a matronly Mother doesn't work, it totally does. But it was a different take which was this director's choice.

The staging was also fairly crisp, but that's hardly something to boast about from an accomplished stage veteran who gave us Hairspray.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.
Updated On: 4/17/17 at 02:05 PM

RubyNYC Profile Photo
RubyNYC
#65CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 9/13/17 at 4:16pm

After seeing SEURAT’S CIRCUS SIDESHOW at the MET Museum, I hoped that this CAROUSEL REVIVAL would return to its original historic context & naturalistic setting. When LILIOM was written in 1909, the Roman Catholic Church & other landowners were trying to keep Circus troupes out of landlocked nations like Hungary. Circus performers were accused of loosening the European work ethic & sexual mores. Fears of itinerate performers, musicians, & laborers led to the persecution of the Roma & Gypsies. This could be a teachable moment. Instead, our walk through a storm will now be further muddied with operatic flourishes. FYI, rumor has it that Rogers & Hammerstein used kitsch to smear this Heterosexual Passion Play.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#66CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 9/13/17 at 4:39pm

If the gypsies and the Roma didn't want to be persecuted they probably shouldn't have been notorious and relentless thieves.  There is no great tragedy there that R&H could have based Carousel upon, nor is there any reason for it to be brought into this revival.  I'm all about ending the persecution of people based on race, religion, etc, but Gypsies and the Roma were and are persecuted for perfectly good reasons.

Wilmingtom
#67CAROUSEL Revival?
Posted: 9/13/17 at 5:07pm

RubyYC, what you say is all well and good and maybe you'll consider writing a musical about it.  It is not, however, the musical R&H wrote   Surely you're not suggesting that someone come in and rewrite Carousel.  btw, does anyone else think the art for the revival makes it look like an adaptation by Euripides?