pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/19/17- Page 3

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/19/17

Trish2
#50The struggling ON YOUR FEET
Posted: 3/20/17 at 6:41pm

I too was perplexed by ON YOUR FEET's recent announcement of ticket sales into 2018.

ON YOUR FEET had an original capitalization of between 15-16 million. Their weekly running cost is in the low 600's. They fell below that this past week at 597K. The prior week was at 639K.

So, in a nutshell:

If in a given week they gross let's say 697K ( that's at 45% of capacity) ; they have to deduct the weekly running costs in addition to the Theater percentage rent and royalties. The loss after those costs would be in the  negative -36k range.

To make any profit ON YOUR FEET has to stay on it's feet and above 750K per week ( roughly 50% capacity) to post a mere 30K profit. It's when they hit the million dollar gross mark where the 100K profit figure comes to light.

Even if they hang on and struggle along it may never reach recoupment.

Updated On: 3/20/17 at 06:41 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#51Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/19/17
Posted: 3/20/17 at 6:44pm

Kinky Boy said: "I'm always impressed with how well Chicago does. It is the biggest roach on Broadway, and is still making a lot of money. Who's buying tickets to that??

Also, what in the world is In Transit doing. Such a waste of money, and a theatre.

"biggest roach????"  WTH does that mean??  A LOT OF PEOPLE are buying tickets to THAT....tis why it recently celebrated its 20th year on Broadway.  

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/19/17

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#52Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/19/17
Posted: 3/20/17 at 6:49pm

IN TRANSIT needs to go. Some shows are making that in one or two performances.

And DOLLY made $1.4 million in just 5 shows. It seems likely it'll make $2 million/week once it goes to 8 shows a week in June.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#53Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/19/17
Posted: 3/21/17 at 2:33am

What a great gig Hello Dolly must be for the ensemble. Only 5 shows a week? Full paycheck. Sounds great. 

And there's no way Significant Other is winning the Tony. Not with 'Sweat' - timely and brilliant - and 'Oslo' - brilliantly written - playing. And we haven't seen A Doll's House 2 or Indecent. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#54Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/19/17
Posted: 3/21/17 at 6:05am

That is not the norm....last week was simply a partial week for them, having just started previews.  They will have 7 show weeks through the Tonys, then 8 show weeks when Donna Murphy starts doing Tuesdays.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

10086sunset
#55Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/19/17
Posted: 3/21/17 at 8:40am

I've finally come to terms that In Transit will never close.

neonlightsxo
#56Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/19/17
Posted: 3/21/17 at 9:12am

Honeymoon in Vegas held on until April! It's not April yet. Don't give up hope!

bwaybri2
#57Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/19/17
Posted: 3/21/17 at 1:25pm

Having been in the city this week I know there were a ton of school groups seeing Phantom.   I asked a few of their directors why they chose to see Phantom and they said that their school has or will be doing Phantom for their school musical and the students wanted to 'see the orginal'.    I guess I don't know how long the rights have been available but it seems like a new generation is experiencing it for the first time.    

TNick926 Profile Photo
TNick926
#58Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/19/17
Posted: 3/21/17 at 2:17pm

Does anyone know why there are no box office figures on the chart for SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE?

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#59Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/19/17
Posted: 3/21/17 at 2:19pm

Sunday was dark this past week.

Jayar2 Profile Photo
Jayar2
#60Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/19/17
Posted: 3/21/17 at 2:23pm

I saw InTransit a few weeks back-- bought my ticket at the door asking for 'the cheapest seat that wasn't partial view'. I paid $39 for a great seat, and halfway expected it to be lousy. I was pleasantly surprised and entertained well for $39. I wish that this would find a larger enough audience to merit staying open, but if it's not happening, then I see why it would close. Unless there is something waiting to move in, however, I say let the cast and crew collect a paycheck!

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#61Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/19/17
Posted: 3/21/17 at 2:53pm

bwaybri2 said: "Having been in the city this week I know there were a ton of school groups seeing Phantom.   I asked a few of their directors why they chose to see Phantom and they said that their school has or will be doing Phantom for their school musical and the students wanted to 'see the orginal'.    I guess I don't know how long the rights have been available but it seems like a new generation is experiencing it for the first time."

Thanks, this explains why the place was overrun with misbehaving children at a recent Thursday matinee!

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

TNick926 Profile Photo
TNick926
#62Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/19/17
Posted: 3/21/17 at 2:54pm

Thanks!  I wondered if in addition to declining to submit for the Tony Awards, they were also declining to publish box office figures...but I'm sure they are terrific! :)

neonlightsxo
#63Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/19/17
Posted: 3/21/17 at 3:17pm

TNick, that reminds me. There was a time when shows did decline to publish their grosses. Was Young Frankenstein the last one?

10086sunset
#64Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/19/17
Posted: 3/21/17 at 4:36pm

neonlightsxo said: "Honeymoon in Vegas held on until April! It's not April yet. Don't give up hope!"

Neon, thanks for the much needed laugh.

Dysquith13 Profile Photo
Dysquith13
#65Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/19/17
Posted: 3/21/17 at 5:01pm

I wonder if Miss Saigon's theatrical release in September is taking a bite out of grosses. Given the capacity of the Broadway plus the the intrigue of being the first revival of a beloved show, I'm a bit surprised at how low the average ticket prices are.

neonlightsxo
#66Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/19/17
Posted: 3/22/17 at 8:39am

Didn't it only play here one or two days? That's not going to take a bite out of anything.