Understudies on Tonys

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#1Understudies on Tonys
Posted: 6/11/17 at 2:26pm

With the news of Colton going on for Ben Platt today, it got me wondering.. Has a performer ever not been able to perform on the Tonys and had to get the understudy to go on?

Hamilfan2
#2Understudies on Tonys
Posted: 6/11/17 at 2:51pm

Brent Barret stepped in for David Carrol during the Grand Hotel Tony performance in 1990.  David Carrol was unable to perform due to illness, and later it came out that he was diagnosed with AIDs and he unfortunately passed away 2 years later.  It is still one greatest Tony performances in history though.

ntrackbar Profile Photo
ntrackbar
#3Understudies on Tonys
Posted: 6/11/17 at 2:53pm

He was fine for the dress rehearsal I heard.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#4Understudies on Tonys
Posted: 6/12/17 at 1:36am

How about Borle's understudy getting some screen time? That's cool! 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#5Understudies on Tonys
Posted: 6/12/17 at 8:22am

That was really cool his understudy was on. Not sure what kind of food was in Anastasia but I was hoping for an Anastasia shoutout during that segment.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#6Understudies on Tonys
Posted: 6/12/17 at 8:50am

Same :/ I was hoping Christy would pop in and surprise us

gallerygirl Profile Photo
gallerygirl
#7Understudies on Tonys
Posted: 6/12/17 at 9:24am

Michael McCormick was on for Brent Spiner the year the 1776  revival was nominated.

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#8Understudies on Tonys
Posted: 6/12/17 at 3:28pm

Spiner had, I believe, already left the show by Tony time and McCormick replaced him. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#9Understudies on Tonys
Posted: 6/12/17 at 3:56pm

Judy Kaye performed with the cast of ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY at the 1978 Tony Awards.   Technically she was no longer the understudy and already officially playing the lead.  Kinda awkward that Madeleine Kahn was sitting in the audience as a Best Actress in a Musical nominee (she lost to Liza Minnelli in THE ACT) while her understudy/replacement was up on the stage appearing in the role she was being nominated for.