Camera Work at the Tonys

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#1Camera Work at the Tonys
Posted: 6/12/17 at 1:01am

Did anyone else notice the great - and sometimes horrible - camera work at the Tonys? During "Come From Away" there was a fro(?) that kept getting in the way? But during the "War Paint" number I thought the camera work was quite stunning. And same with "Great Comet" and most of the other performances. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#2Camera Work at the Tonys
Posted: 6/12/17 at 1:08am

They didn't have a Michael Arden/Christopher Fitzgerald moment like last year, so it was definitely a winning night for camera work.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#3Camera Work at the Tonys
Posted: 6/12/17 at 1:15am

The worst moment was the In Memoriam when the long shots obscured the names.  (as I posted elsewhere)

But overall, some excellent camera work.  

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#4Camera Work at the Tonys
Posted: 6/12/17 at 1:18am

It was AWFUL imo. At least compared to last year. Especially during Come From Away and Bandstand's performances. And the guy in the wings during Groundhog Day....

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#5Camera Work at the Tonys
Posted: 6/12/17 at 1:33am

I know! We were cracking up at the man in the wings for Groundhog!

But I still think War Paint was a marvel. 

Big Apple2 Profile Photo
Big Apple2
#6Camera Work at the Tonys
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:19am

ZellMorrowsPledge said: "It was AWFUL imo. At least compared to last year. Especially during Come From Away and Bandstand's performances. And the guy in the wings during Groundhog Day...."

I agree with you about the stagehand visible during the GHD performance.  It did not help the show, which was a poor song choice to market it.

k-ron78
#7Camera Work at the Tonys
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:19am

The camera work for Come From Away was ridiculous; namely, the awkward zoom-ins during the first half of the number and the audience hair partially blocking the shot.  Also, the sound mixing at first was frightening with one voice being far too loud... thankfully that got corrected.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#8Camera Work at the Tonys
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:20am

At least it didn't seem there were any sound issues!

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#9Camera Work at the Tonys
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:31am

I loved the camera work on War Paint as well.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#10Camera Work at the Tonys
Posted: 1/10/18 at 5:27pm

Sorry for bumping such a random thread, but I just got to say the camera work for the bright star performance was one of the best ever. Just the part where the camera walks around Carmen was stunning.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Videos