pixeltracker

Old folk are pretty darn bratty about Bette- Page 4

Old folk are pretty darn bratty about Bette

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#75Have some respect!
Posted: 7/21/17 at 2:09pm

haterobics said: "If people don't like Bette, not seeing the show seems easy enough, and she has enough Tuesdays and other days off so everyone can still see the production without her.

But her speech was filled with giving props to everyone else who put her onto that stage?! I mean, I'm unclear, but if it's all about you, and you've gone Hollywood, would you really be grasping to make sure you thank Taylor Trensch?! (I love him, but still...) and talking about the teachers in your past who supported you and made you want to do this?

"

Well put Haterobics. I think her speech was the highlight of the evening.  Not sure what that posters reasons for constantly popping up and bashing.  I love that people love Dolly, Bette, and the show.  And I am thrilled every time the likes of Dollypop, Robbie,  DAME, BK, and so on contribute their love and reminisce about Dolly and its stars past , present and future.  If you don't like something or someone and you have already expressed yourself, why the constant bashing????  This thread and its constant basher is the lowest BWW has seen.. including for me.  

Updated On: 7/21/17 at 02:09 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#76Have some respect!
Posted: 7/21/17 at 2:09pm

We're really rehashing her Tony speech again? Is this a slow news day or something?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#77Have some respect!
Posted: 7/21/17 at 2:11pm

There is a bored basher/hater on the loose.  

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#78Have some respect!
Posted: 7/21/17 at 2:59pm

Uh ... well, I have a student whose grandma works at the Shubert concession stands. She talked to Bette and showed her pictures of her 5 grandkids whom she supports (long story -- my student comes from a very broken home). The next day Bette came in with presents and gift certificates for this grandma. My student's grandma is not "Hollywood." She's really "nobody." If Bette went Hollywood I don't think she'd be buying presents for the grandma's grandchildren.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#79Have some respect!
Posted: 7/21/17 at 3:15pm

poisonivy2 said: "Uh ... well, I have a student whose grandma works at the Shubert concession stands. She talked to Bette and showed her pictures of her 5 grandkids whom she supports (long story -- my student comes from a very broken home). The next day Bette came in with presents and gift certificates for this grandma. My student's grandma is not "Hollywood." She's really "nobody." If Bette went Hollywood I don't think she'd be buying presents for the grandma's grandchildren.

"

She is a really nice and generous lady.  I worked for years for Aids Project Los Angeles.  I experienced her generosity and warmth first hand.   Have you heard the audio of her calling a dying cancer patient during her "I'll eat you " run?  Very touching.   Her last two big arena concerts in Los Angeles she donated all proceeds to APLA.  And before her move to New York she raised money to clean out streets and highways.  This is part of why I have always liked her.  She has used her name and her success for good and always gives back.   New Yorkers are probably familiar with her charitable work with parks and New York restoration society. 

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#80Have some respect!
Posted: 7/21/17 at 3:30pm

DAME said: "poisonivy2 said: "Uh ... well, I have a student whose grandma works at the Shubert concession stands. She talked to Bette and showed her pictures of her 5 grandkids whom she supports (long story -- my student comes from a very broken home). The next day Bette came in with presents and gift certificates for this grandma. My student's grandma is not "Hollywood." She's really "nobody." If Bette went Hollywood I don't think she'd be buying presents for the grandma's grandchildren.

"

She is a really nice and generous lady.  I worked for years for Aids Project Los Angeles.  I experienced her generosity and warmth first hand.   Have you heard the audio of her calling a dying cancer patient during her "I'll eat you " run?  Very touching.   Her last two big arena concerts in Los Angeles she donated all proceeds to APLA.  And before her move to New York she raised money to clean out streets and highways.  This is part of why I have always liked her.  She has used her name and her success for good and always gives back.   New Yorkers are probably familiar with her charitable work with parks and New York restoration society. 

"

I do know of a musician who traveled with her in concerts and she insisted that the musicians stayed in the same hotel with the same accommodations as her. If she stayed at the Four Seasons, everyone had to stay at the Four Seasons or she wasn't staying there. I think her Tony acceptance speech was part of her comic schtick and it's sort of brassy and edgy but she went out of her way to thank people who again, are "nobodies" in Hollywood. 

The fact that she isn't a theater person was more evident with the structure of her speech. Most theater folks for whatever reason like these perfectly constructed, elegant speeches. Ex: Lin Manuel Miranda. That's why she ran out of time.

Margo319
#81Bette is AS OLD AS HELL
Posted: 7/21/17 at 3:52pm

"This thread and its constant basher is the lowest BWW has seen.. including for me"

Um. I'd look before you joined in 2014. Look for words like "Jordan Catalano" "Liza's Headband" "Phyllis Rogers Stone" and "Finding Namo".    

You will see threats of death, calling people "bitch, fa*got, c*nt," repeatedly and things you cannot even imagine including people telling people to kill themselves and threatening their own families.  Racist, sexist, horrible things.  

I am giving my opinion on an actress and can do so, as I have.  You should do your research because that is the dumbest thing said on this thread. Trust.   

Margo319
#82Bette is AS OLD AS HELL
Posted: 7/21/17 at 3:54pm

Oh, and talk about being bored, as you've been trolling this thread allll day.  Do other things.  Maybe help a homeless person or send healing wishes to someone who is sick.  Christ.  

Bette's Turban Profile Photo
Bette's Turban
#83Bette is AS OLD AS HELL
Posted: 7/21/17 at 3:59pm

Margo319 said: ""This thread and its constant basher is the lowest BWW has seen.. including for me"

Um. I'd look before you joined in 2014. Look for words like "Jordan Catalano" "Liza's Headband" "Phyllis Rogers Stone" and "Finding Namo".    

You will see threats of death, calling people "bitch, fa*got, c*nt," repeatedly and things you cannot even imagine including people telling people to kill themselves and threatening their own families.  Racist, sexist, horrible things.  

I am giving my opinion on an actress and can do so, as I have.  You should do your research because that is the dumbest thing said on this thread. Trust.   

"

You give your opinion and bash over and over and over again.  Why do you need to suck the joy out for everyone else?  Can't you leave people alone?

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#84wow...just wow
Posted: 7/21/17 at 4:04pm

Margo319 said: ""This thread and its constant basher is the lowest BWW has seen.. including for me"

"

Good-now people can quote your name too when they talk about people dragging into the gutter for no reason.  you obviously enjoy fighting.  Have fun with that.  And probably stay off a thread about people being rude, because whether you are the rudest person on here, you are certainly vying for that title

Updated On: 7/21/17 at 04:04 PM

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#85wow...just wow
Posted: 7/21/17 at 5:46pm

Margo: Look before you joined in 2014! She joined in 2015. L O L O L O L

As for rude old people, I have seen some atrocious behavior at the theatre by them. Most recent incident was a pair of old bats who thought it was OK to discuss loudly their cousin Agnes who used to go to the Red Door Salon all the time during the opening of WAR PAINT. They were firmly scolded by the woman in front of them, after which they started loudly saying things like "ARE YOU TALKING TO ME??" and "I'LL STOP BREATHING TOO IF THAT MAKES YOU HAPPY." Lord some people think they are above the rules.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Bette's Turban
#86wow...just wow
Posted: 7/21/17 at 6:01pm

Mr. Nowack said: "Margo: Look before you joined in 2014! She joined in 2015. L O L O L O L

As for rude old people, I have seen some atrocious behavior at the theatre by them. Most recent incident was a pair of old bats who thought it was OK to discuss loudly their cousin Agnes who used to go to the Red Door Salon all the time during the opening of WAR PAINT. They were firmly scolded by the woman in front of them, after which they started loudly saying things like "ARE YOU TALKING TO ME??" and "I'LL STOP BREATHING TOO IF THAT MAKES YOU HAPPY." Lord some people think they are above the rules.

"

Have you seen the self centered teens and their phones?  All out of control.  Rude and obnoxious people everywhere.  Just a fact of life .   

Jarethan
#87wow...just wow
Posted: 7/21/17 at 6:11pm

Mr. Nowack said: "Margo: Look before you joined in 2014! She joined in 2015. L O L O L O L

I don't know when old officially begins, but I am there or pretty close.  And I have to say that I agree with anyone who says that older people are particularly obnoxious at the theatre.  That has been my experience and I have to say, although I am probably in for a bashing for this, that it has been women 99.9% of the time.  Tied for the worst I ever experienced was at On Your Feet while it as in previews.  I was in the first row of the mezzanine.  The two women right behind me kept on talking and people around them, including me, shushed them, multiple times.  I finally decided that I had enough and stood up (crouching position) and turned around to face them and politely asked them to 'shut the FU-K up or I am going to get an usher to ask you to leave.'  That finally did it, and I happily was the recipient of the ugliest dirty looks I had received in many a year / decade/ It actually added to my enjoyment of Act 2, although the people next to me thanked me at intermission.  They also told me that they like to be behind people who demonstrate that behavior, because a series of low intensity kicks of their seat seat will shut them up every time.

Another incident happened more recently at Hello Dolly.  Fifth row of the mezzanine on the side aisle, E1.  The woman sitting in the fourth row center had her cell phone on non-stop, despite the people directly behind her asking her to turn it off.  Finally, I crouched across the aisle, and put my face in her line of site.  I said that I did not pay $200 to be distracted by her rudeness and that, if she didn't put it away, I was not unwilling to get an usher right that minute to do it for her.  She put it away. At intermission, she came over to me and said that I ruined Act 1 for her, and that she was waiting for an important call from her daughter about her grandson.  I told her that, if the call was that important, she either should have missed the performance, or put it on vibrate and get up from her (aisle)seat if it vibrated.  I have to admit that I was happy thinking that I ruined Act 1 for her, but I know that I didn't, since people like her have the attention span of amoebae; and, the phone was not seen or heard from during Act 2.

I have never experienced these issues with men or with younger people of either sex.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#88wow...just wow
Posted: 7/21/17 at 6:11pm

With all due respect, it's the old folks who I see using their phones disrespectfully mid-show. I have rarely seen teens and young adults checking their phones, leaving the ringers on etc the way I see older people do.

Keep in mind I have nothing against older theatre patrons, just saying that the criticisms and opinions like that are well warranted. As your qualms with young people likely are. Perspectives!

Jarethan
#89wow...just wow
Posted: 7/21/17 at 6:17pm

Mr. Nowack said: "With all due respect, it's the old folks who I see using their phones disrespectfully mid-show. I have rarely seen teens and young adults checking their phones, leaving the ringers on etc the way I see older people do.

Keep in mind I have nothing against older theatre patrons, just saying that the criticisms and opinions like that are well warranted. As your qualms with young people likely are. Perspectives!

Are you responding to my email.  If you re-read my response, you will see that I am agreeing with you and providing some pretty appalling personal anecdotes.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#90wow...just wow
Posted: 7/21/17 at 6:18pm

I must say that I have never seen a young person on a cellphone in a theatre.  It's always an older woman.

Also, I have seen four shows in a row now where groups of old people begin to leave the theatre DURING the final scene or song.  It's ridiculously disrespectful.

I hear a lot of older people yelling about how selfish and awful young people, but I have never seen anyone as selfish and awful as old people.  And this is coming from someone who is certainly not a young flower.

Bette's Turban
#91wow...just wow
Posted: 7/21/17 at 6:19pm

Jarethan said:
Another incident happened more recently at Hello Dolly.  Fifth row of the mezzanine on the side aisle, E1.  The woman sitting in the fourth row center had her cell phone on non-stop, despite the people directly behind her asking her to turn it off.  Finally, I crouched across the aisle, and put my face in her line of site.  I said that I did not pay $200 to be distracted by her rudeness and that, if she didn't put it away, I was not unwilling to get an usher right that minute to do it for her.  She put it away. At intermission, she came over to me and said that I ruined Act 1 for her, and that she was waiting for an important call from her daughter about her grandson.  I told her that, if the call was that important, she either should have missed the performance, or put it on vibrate and get up from her (aisle)seat if it vibrated.  I have to admit that I was happy thinking that I ruined Act 1 for her, but I know that I didn't, since people like her have the attention span of amoebae; and, the phone was not seen or heard from during Act 2.

I have never experienced these issues with men or with younger people of either sex.

"

You were a lot nicer than I would have been no matter what their age was.  I swear.. when things like this happen these people should be arrested for obstruction of peace.  Good for you for standing up for yourself.  

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#92wow...just wow
Posted: 7/21/17 at 7:02pm

@Jarethan I was replying to Bette's Turban. God bless you for telling them to shut up, luckily the loud ladies at WAR PAINT got the hint by Christine's entrance.

...groups of old people begin to leave the theatre DURING the final scene or song.  It's ridiculously disrespectful.

Funny you should mention that as the same loud women did that. I think it's tacky to even leave during the curtain call let alone curing the final scenes! Why did you pay to see it if you didn't plan on staying the whole time...

bdboston
#93wow...just wow
Posted: 7/21/17 at 7:09pm

"Um." What a pathetic joke.

Updated On: 7/21/17 at 07:09 PM