pixeltracker

Best film adaptations of plays- Page 3

Best film adaptations of plays

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#50Best film adaptations of plays
Posted: 7/24/17 at 11:32am

BOOM! is Tennessee's favorite film adaption of his work and it is freaking terrific.  

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#51Best film adaptations of plays
Posted: 7/24/17 at 11:39am

AMADEUS is one of the greatest films ever made, so that would probably top my list.

I'm in the minority on these two, but I thought they were pitch perfect in their adaptations: DOUBT and ANGELS IN AMERICA. 

On the Shakespeare front, I think Kenneth Branagh's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is fantastic-- Keanu Reeves notwithstanding. 

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#52Best film adaptations of plays
Posted: 7/24/17 at 11:42am

I realize I submitted a fairly exhaustive list earlier, but here, for your consideration, are more:

GASLIGHT (ANGEL STREET is a good play but GASLIGHT is a masterpiece)

STAGE DOOR

'NIGHT, MOTHER (I know, I know... but for me Spacek  - also by far the best thing in CRIMES OF THE HEART - makes it unforgettable)

TWENTIETH CENTURY

THE WOMEN (not a Shearer fan but for camp value, of course, and because Mary Boland and Paulette Goddard are so damn good in it)

THE AWFUL TRUTH

HIS GIRL FRIDAY (much has been said or intimated on this thread about her work in other adaptations of plays, but this is a great movie with Rosalind Russell at her best)

ANNA CHRISTIE

THE LETTER

BORN YESTERDAY

A THOUSAND CLOWNS

THE ELEPHANT MAN

THE SUNSHINE BOYS

MARVIN'S ROOM  (if, for no other reason, Keaton's beautiful performance)

and last year's best picture winner, MOONLIGHT

Updated On: 7/24/17 at 11:42 AM

The Other One
#53Best film adaptations of plays
Posted: 7/24/17 at 12:01pm

No one has mentioned the film version of The Country Girl. I did not realize until I saw Mike Nichols' miscast revival how good a film version it actually was.

henrikegerman
#54Best film adaptations of plays
Posted: 7/24/17 at 12:16pm

The Other One said: "No one has mentioned the film version of The Country Girl. I did not realize until I saw Mike Nichols' miscast revival how good a film version it actually was."

Personally, I've never been able to get through it all (and I have to admit the same for Lumet's LONG DAYS JOURNEY - mostly because Ralph Richardson, so good in THE HEIRESS, seems so wrong to me as James Sr. - perhaps a personal prejudice).  And actually much prefer the 1982 tv production with Dick Van Dyke, Faye Dunaway and Ken Howard.

Updated On: 7/24/17 at 12:16 PM

Bronxfan
#55Best film adaptations of plays
Posted: 7/24/17 at 12:22pm

I know the film has its flaws, but I love Wait Until Dark.  The last scene with Audrey Hepburn and Alan Arkin is classic.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#56Best film adaptations of plays
Posted: 7/24/17 at 12:57pm

It's a bit controversial here (and everywhere), but The Boys In The Band was a pretty fantastic adaptation of the stage show IMO.

I quite liked Frost/Nixon movie too.

Of newer adaptations, I actually really liked All The Way adaptation starring Bryan Cranston.

PS - didn't know The Little Foxes was a movie too, I have to watch it now :)

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.
Updated On: 7/24/17 at 12:57 PM

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#57Best film adaptations of plays
Posted: 7/24/17 at 1:09pm

Valentina3 said: "It's a bit controversial here (and everywhere), but The Boys In The Band was a pretty fantastic adaptation of the stage show IMO.

I quite liked Frost/Nixon movie too.

Of newer adaptations, I actually really liked All The Way adaption starring Bryan Cranston.

PS - didn't know The Little Foxes was a movie too, I have to watch it now :)

"

Yes it's one of Bette Davis's most famous performances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7aEQCIGxrA

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#58Best film adaptations of plays
Posted: 7/24/17 at 2:58pm

henrikegerman said: "'NIGHT, MOTHER (I know, I know... but for me Spacek  - also by far the best thing in CRIMES OF THE HEART - makes it unforgettable)"

I almost added this to the list when I added "Vanya...", but it's such a DOWNER! Although I agree with you that Spacek gave a fantastic performance, I thought that Ann Bancroft was equally as good, and in the end, I understood and empathized with Spacek's character, but I wept for Bancroft's.

To me, it was clear in Bancroft's performance that she believed there was "a change" (not wishing to spoil the plot). ...so I wept for her in the end. I think that both actresses found exactly the right levels to play regarding how much hope their characters should give the audience.

henrikegerman
#59Best film adaptations of plays
Posted: 7/24/17 at 3:41pm

whoops, two more:

Cukor's CAMILLE

Lean's BRIEF ENCOUNTER

henrikegerman
#60Best film adaptations of plays
Posted: 7/24/17 at 3:44pm

Valentina3 said: "PS - didn't know The Little Foxes was a movie too, I have to watch it now :)."

Valentina, you are in for a treat.  I wish I could relive seeing that movie for the first time.