pixeltracker

Last night had me saying HELLO, VANESSA! Vanessa Williams- HELLO, DOLLY!- Page 2

Last night had me saying HELLO, VANESSA! Vanessa Williams- HELLO, DOLLY!

Miserent Profile Photo
Miserent
#25Last night had me saying HELLO, VANESSA! Vanessa Williams- HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 7/24/17 at 11:49pm

I definitely would see her being cast as the alternate as opposed to the main actress, but I'd see her in it in a heartbeat!  She's in Wicked right now as Madame Morrible, and she is SO glamorous and fabulous.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#26Last night had me saying HELLO, VANESSA! Vanessa Williams- HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 7/24/17 at 11:52pm

Vanessa Williams as Dolly, Beyonce as Irene? I can dream right?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#27Last night had me saying HELLO, VANESSA! Vanessa Williams- HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 7/25/17 at 12:13am

In my defense, I've never seen "Hello Dolly" - I'm going on Wednesday to see Bette - so I can't speak to the show. But I would think, given the hype of the show, that hey would aim for more of a legend for a Dolly replacement. I think VW would be great - I do think she's a great singer/actress - I just don't see her in the style of Bette or Murphy, but again, I haven't seen the show. I'd think they'd want a more prominent name. 

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#28Last night had me saying HELLO, VANESSA! Vanessa Williams- HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 7/25/17 at 7:58am

>I was about 16 at the time I saw her in it.  I thought she brought more glamour to the role  than any other Dolly I have seen and I remember her performance as being very warm.  That said, I also remember her singing as being really lousy.<

One example here. It's not a huge voice and she doesn't really sustain notes, but I wouldn't call it lousy. It's on pitch, it has character, and the brisk tempo serves the song well. So Long Dearie

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#29Last night had me saying HELLO, VANESSA! Vanessa Williams- HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 7/25/17 at 4:17pm

I like Vanessa Williams a lot but she's not Dolly!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#30Last night had me saying HELLO, VANESSA! Vanessa Williams- HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 12:00am

Jarethan said: "Miserent said: "Am I the only one who thinks Sheryl Lee Ralph would make an utterly fabulous Dolly???

Maybe as an alternate or in the last month of its engagement.  The show has always done best when it was fronted by a star, which Sheryl Lee Ralph is definitely not.  In the 36(?) years since Dreamgirls opened, I am not sure what she has even done, particularly on Broadway.  

"

I saw her do APPLAUSE for Reprise LA about 12 years ago. Obviously, she's not a name that will sell tickets, but she could still sing and she certainly held the stage in a "vehicle" role.

Very previously (i.e., in 1977), I worked with Ginger Rogers when she brought her night club act to the 3,000-seat theater where I worked in Miami Beach. Not much dancing: she showed dancing clips from her films and told war stories. But her singing was okay and she still had enough charisma to fill our barn of a house.

Updated On: 7/26/17 at 12:00 AM

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#31Last night had me saying HELLO, VANESSA! Vanessa Williams- HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 12:18pm

I always thought she'd make a great Norma Desmond in a SUNSET revival. Maybe she could have carried on after Glenn Close left last month? 

EdEval
#32Last night had me saying HELLO, VANESSA! Vanessa Williams- HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 7/27/17 at 1:22am

In 1974 Pearl Baily did an all black cast version of Dolly.  I think all black cast days are over and today audiences will accept a mixed color blind cast.  I would nominate Queen Latifa since she will bring back memories of Pearl Baily with the same earthy sense of humor.

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#33Last night had me saying HELLO, VANESSA! Vanessa Williams- HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 7/27/17 at 11:45am

Love the idea of VW doing Dolly, and as stated before, there have been many different types of Dollys

Can I dream cast Michael Urie as Barnaby?

Griffin2
#34Last night had me saying HELLO, VANESSA! Vanessa Williams- HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 7/28/17 at 2:04am

Love the idea of VW and Michael Urie together again! ^