pixeltracker

Trump -- once again -- fails to condemn the alt-right, white supremacists- Page 2

Trump -- once again -- fails to condemn the alt-right, white supremacists

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#25Trump -- once again -- fails to condemn the alt-right, white supremacists
Posted: 8/15/17 at 8:35am

This is exactly how Trump behaved in the campaign.  He refused to condemn David Duke and the KKK even then. His behavior now is no different, so you don't suddenly get to have buyer's remorse.  This is what those people voted for. 

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#26Trump -- once again -- fails to condemn the alt-right, white supremacists
Posted: 8/15/17 at 9:13am

South Florida said: "I generally agree with Erik on everything he writes, but if a Trump supporter finally gets it we should be happy with that and move on."

I see no "buyer's remorse" or "getting it" in what BC wrote--  just disappointment on the President's RESPONSE. Not disgust with who he pals around with. Not disgust with the non-rejection of David Duke's endorsement during the campaign. Not disgust with Trump's racist birther bullsh*t. No, only "disheartened" by his "non-response" to domestic terrorism committed by his supporters. Absolutely shameful.

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#27Trump -- once again -- fails to condemn the alt-right, white supremacists
Posted: 8/15/17 at 9:28am

South Florida said: "I generally agree with Erik on everything he writes, but if a Trump supporter finally gets it we should be happy with that and move on."

Gets it? I didn't see anything in that post that shows me BS "gets it." He didn't even say he regrets his vote.

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#28Trump -- once again -- fails to condemn the alt-right, white supremacists
Posted: 8/15/17 at 2:47pm

Thanks Concierge.  I guess they want something stronger.  We're gonna have a hard time winning back the right when our most astute believers think belittling you will build a consensus,

Stephanatic

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#29Trump -- once again -- fails to condemn the alt-right, white supremacists
Posted: 8/15/17 at 3:01pm

^Give me a break! Who the f*ck wants to "win back" racists and white supremacists? Not me. You can't build a consensus with these people, you have to beat them. Make them politically non-existent. 

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#30Trump -- once again -- fails to condemn the alt-right, white supremacists
Posted: 8/15/17 at 3:21pm

This may come as a surprise to some of you, but this moment is one in which I am disappointed in the President. Part of the reason why I slowly but surely went toward Trump's camp was because of his forthrightness and outspokenness

And his ignorance and stupidity, I imagine.  "Disappointed"?  That's it?  Really?  I'd only be surprised if you weren't totally soft-balling your response.  Bannon, Miller, Gorka...but this is what crosses the line into disappointment?  The response from the Rump that was totally and completely expected based on his track record.  Hopefully, your disappointment will allow you to view him more objectively in the future.  Otherwise, you might as well don your khakis and white polo, pick up your tiki torch and play with your friends in Charlottsville for as much as your disappointment is worth.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#31Trump -- once again -- fails to condemn the alt-right, white supremacists
Posted: 8/15/17 at 4:54pm

He spoke about this again today and it made it much, much, worse. 

I really can't believe what I just watched. If you didn't see that press conference, go ahead and watch it. It's absolutely horrifying. 

Cat Guy Profile Photo
Cat Guy
#32Trump -- once again -- fails to condemn the alt-right, white supremacists
Posted: 8/15/17 at 5:11pm

adamgreer said: "He spoke about this again today and it made it much, much, worse. 

I really can't believe what I just watched. If you didn't see that press conference, go ahead and watch it. It's absolutely horrifying. 
"

I expected him to implode before my eyes.  Terrifying.  Disturbing.  Sickening.  He's truly mad.

Updated On: 8/15/17 at 05:11 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#33Trump -- once again -- fails to condemn the alt-right, white supremacists
Posted: 8/15/17 at 5:18pm

Well, our President either is INDIFFERENT to Nazis or SYMPATHETIC to Nazis and honestly there's no functional difference.

Good work, everyone who voted for him. I hope you're all deeply embarrassed.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#34Trump -- once again -- fails to condemn the alt-right, white supremacists
Posted: 8/15/17 at 5:18pm

Look on the bright side...perhaps BroadwayConcierge might not be as disappointed now.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

binau Profile Photo
binau
#35Trump -- once again -- fails to condemn the alt-right, white supremacists
Posted: 8/15/17 at 5:38pm

Do we know whether the counter protests did initiatiate some violence? There are some reports that the counter protestors did (although with all of these things it's reallly hard to know what really happened - maybe they were defending themselves). I assume that is the issue Trump would be referring to. Of course, this doesn't justify someone running a car into the crowd. I'm just interested to know what actually happened. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#36Trump -- once again -- fails to condemn the alt-right, white supremacists
Posted: 8/15/17 at 5:40pm

adamgreer said: "He spoke about this again today and it made it much, much, worse. 

"

I just watched some lowlights from the press conference. I have stopped being able to formulate complete sentences. It is truly sad what is happening to this country. 

One of many shake your head at comments/statements made.

"George Washington was a slave owner. So will George Washington lose his status? Are we going to take down statues to George Washington?" he said. "How about Thomas Jefferson, what do you think of Thomas Jefferson, do you like him? OK good. Are we going to take down the statues, because he was a major slave owner? Now are we going to take down his statue?" 

He added: "You know, you really do have to ask yourself, where does it stop?"

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.
Updated On: 8/15/17 at 05:40 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#37Trump -- once again -- fails to condemn the alt-right, white supremacists
Posted: 8/15/17 at 6:09pm

qolbinau said: "Do we know whether the counter protests did initiatiate some violence? There are some reports that the counter protestors did (although with all of these things it's reallly hard to know what really happened - maybe they were defending themselves). I assume that is the issue Trump would be referring to. Of course, this doesn't justify someone running a car into the crowd. I'm just interested to know what actually happened. 

Are you for real? Stop. Just. Stop. 

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#38Trump -- once again -- fails to condemn the alt-right, white supremacists
Posted: 8/15/17 at 6:11pm

Absolutely horrifying. He makes me ashamed to be an American. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#39Trump -- once again -- fails to condemn the alt-right, white supremacists
Posted: 8/15/17 at 6:24pm

adamgreer said: "qolbinau said: "Do we know whether the counter protests did initiatiate some violence? There are some reports that the counter protestors did (although with all of these things it's reallly hard to know what really happened - maybe they were defending themselves). I assume that is the issue Trump would be referring to. Of course, this doesn't justify someone running a car into the crowd. I'm just interested to know what actually happened. 

Are you for real? Stop. Just. Stop. 

"

Stop what? There seems to be an implicit or explicit assumption here that the counter protesters were not violent at all, and from what I read this may not be the case. It would be good to understand if this violence was defending or attacking. If defending, Trump's comments don't seem justified. If attacking, Trump's comments might have some truth to them. These details matter. 

I suppose I know how the screaming disingenuous ultra left and ultra right works these days though. Violence is ok as long as it is oriented at the opposing party - so maybe this doesn't matter to you. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#40Trump -- once again -- fails to condemn the alt-right, white supremacists
Posted: 8/15/17 at 6:27pm

You are on such a high horse it's a wonder there's any oxygen up there for you to breathe.

Maybe you should go forth and spread the wisdom you have about every manner of social issue out into the world instead of casting it before us swine.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 8/15/17 at 06:27 PM

Cat Guy Profile Photo
Cat Guy
#41Trump -- once again -- fails to condemn the alt-right, white supremacists
Posted: 8/15/17 at 6:29pm

Perhaps the most appalling moment for me today occurred as he was stepping away.  A reporter asked if he was going to visit Charlottesville.  His response was to brag about a winery he owns there.  He is morally bankrupt.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#42Trump -- once again -- fails to condemn the alt-right, white supremacists
Posted: 8/15/17 at 6:32pm

It's hard to breathe when I'm too busy licking my own ass. But honestly people - the problem I have time and time again here and elsewhere is the absolute dis-ingenuity of people in these identity-politics passionate ****storm of 2017 where I think it is important that we do actually make sure we have evidence for what we believe. Trump claimed that the counter-protesters were violent so shouldn't we actually check whether this was the case? From what I read, it actually might be true (except I can't tell if the counter protesters used pepper spray for defence or attack reasons - hence clarifying). Yet no one seems to care about the truth. Someone died, which is an awful tragedy - but this does not excuse bad behaviour on either side (to which there might be none on the counter protest side - I don't 100% know, hence questioning. I'm not sure if people here know either).

binau Profile Photo
binau
#43Trump -- once again -- fails to condemn the alt-right, white supremacists
Posted: 8/15/17 at 6:40pm

Doesn't excuse if the counter protesters initiated violence BEFORE the car incident of course (this goes without saying). I understand why people are angry at Trump, but we do have to consider whether the counter protests did escalate the situation that led to the devastating outcome. They may not at all - this is why I'm merely posing it as a question. But given there are reports of violence from the counter protests we cannot just assume the counter protesters were peaceful. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#44Trump -- once again -- fails to condemn the alt-right, white supremacists
Posted: 8/15/17 at 6:58pm

Also (I'm trying to think about the emotional reactions to my posts and how best to deal with this) don't take my posts at all to mean I think the right-wing racists need to be respected intellectually or morally etc. it's just that we do need to criticise people when they enact violence against others regardless of what their political persuasion is. If only because it can escalate the situation where we ourselves can get hurt. 

mar6411
#45Trump -- once again -- fails to condemn the alt-right, white supremacists
Posted: 8/15/17 at 7:38pm

Kad said: "You are on such a high horse it's a wonder there's any oxygen up there for you to breathe.

Maybe you should go forth and spread the wisdom you have about every manner of social issue out into the world instead of casting it before us swine.
"

Thank you Kad.  I hope (I want to say pray to make qolbinau go ape****) that all will refrain from responding to qolbinau.  All it will generate is voluminous word salad that will go on for pages.  He will get indignant and claim he is only looking for intellectual discussion but we know that is not the case.  

And I don't want to draw Dave19 in to another discussion so the two of them can have a love fest of self righteous superiority.  

And I am only the lowest of the swine on this board.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#46Trump -- once again -- fails to condemn the alt-right, white supremacists
Posted: 8/15/17 at 7:45pm

And this is why some of you need to realise that you are in fact bigoted and not me - because you're not open to other ideas at all. I very much sleep easy knowing I hold consistent progressive values - I was right about Bernie Sanders/Hillary. I am right about religion (look at the devastating impact of the absurd Christian Republican Party or the way gay Muslims are treated worldwide, or terrorism - was right to correctly assume the Manchester attack wa in fact an Islamic attack). I am a scientific atheist and confident in my intellectual capability. If you are not willing to even consider other ideas then I do truly consider it your loss. Most of what all of you say is actually of great value, morally correct and truthful - but there are times where I feel we do need to call out and discuss certain assumptions or beliefs you might hold. And I might not always be right either. Though I think my track record is pretty good so far. 

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#47Trump -- once again -- fails to condemn the alt-right, white supremacists
Posted: 8/15/17 at 8:21pm

qolbinau you suck.  Not only are you winded you miss the point.  People with swastikas and confederate flag descended on a peaceful town and sought to tear apart everything we hold dear, shut your effin Australian mouth.

Stephanatic

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#48Trump -- once again -- fails to condemn the alt-right, white supremacists
Posted: 8/15/17 at 8:29pm

Cat Guy said: "Perhaps the most appalling moment for me today occurred as he was stepping away.  A reporter asked if he was going to visit Charlottesville.  His response was to brag about a winery he owns there.  He is morally bankrupt.

"

We have to quote him correctly because you can't make this stuff up.

After leaving the podium, Trump was asked whether he planned to go to Charlottesville. His response, "Does anyone know I own a house in Charlottesville?" 

Trump was referring to his winery in the city. 

"I mean I know a lot about Charlottesville," he said. "Charlottesville is a great place that has been very badly hurt over the last couple of days." 

He added: "I own actually one of the largest wineries in the United States, it is in Charlottesville."

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.
Updated On: 8/15/17 at 08:29 PM

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#49Trump -- once again -- fails to condemn the alt-right, white supremacists
Posted: 8/15/17 at 8:35pm

South Florida said: "Thanks Concierge.  I guess they want something stronger.  We're gonna have a hard time winning back the right when our most astute believers think belittling you will build a consensus,"

What on earth happened to the guy who had my back regarding a just fate for Donald Trump?