Groundhog Day thoughts!

thebookofwhizzer Profile Photo
thebookofwhizzer
#1Groundhog Day thoughts!
Posted: 8/26/17 at 4:18pm

hello! so yesterday i saw Groundhog Day and i wanted to share my thoughts of the show and of Taylor Iman Jones as Rita! 

First, this is show was great! i loved it and i would happily see it again and encourage everyone to see it before it closes!

Andy Karl was AMAZING! He just stole the show every scene and was just so good in the role. He was also INCREDIBLY nice at the stagedoor. Probably the nicest actor i've met at stagedoor. If you have any worry about him signing playbills from previous shows, don't! He signed my Legally Blonde playbill and talked to me about it for a while! 

Taylor Iman Jones: she was great! Her voice is beautiful and her acting was very good. She messed up the lyrics a bit during "If I had my time Again" but no worries because if i had never listened to the soundtrack i wouldn't  have noticed. She was also sooooo sweet and i was happy I got to see her! (being a huge fan of Barrett Doss, i was at first disappointed but by the end i most definitely was not!) 

Final thing: The show was stopped!! Right after Phil shoots himself (before "Hope"Groundhog Day thoughts! the red projection of the clock just kept going until there was an announcement that they were stopping the show. About 5 minutes later they announced that they were starting again in 2 minutes and that the Role of the sherrif and the Hot Dog Vendor were being played by new actors. It was weird but sorta cool to be there when it happened!

All in All it was such a great show and i'm very glad i saw it before it closed!! Go See it!! 

Sorry if Nobody Cares (reference intended) but i really wanted to share my thoughts!! 

“6 AM. The sky glows. Somewhere a bird chirps. I want to shoot it.” ~ Jonathan Larson, Tick...Tick..BOOM

10086Sundays
#2Groundhog Day thoughts!
Posted: 8/26/17 at 5:01pm

Thank you for coming back to share your thoughts! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it so much!

You should definitely see it again if you can. There are a thousand layers to discover. 

The whole cast is very kind and generous with their time. Andy leads them well by example.

I'll miss this show and these people. Yes, I know we'll all move on to other shows, but still, it's sad.

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#3Groundhog Day thoughts!
Posted: 8/26/17 at 6:25pm

Thebookofwhizzer, so glad you liked it!!!  I agree, Andy Karl is extremely kind to fans at the stage door.  I haven't seen Taylor Iman Jones, but would love the opportunity to see her take on Rita (as much as I really, really love Barrett!)  I guess it's hard to say if you don't have a comparison, but what was Taylor's take on the character?

10086Sundays, I'm curious some of the things you've started to notice the more you've seen it?  The one that stood out to me on viewing #2 was how everyone else is in motion on the Tilt-a-Whirl, and but Phil in comparison isn't moving.  Doing two more viewings this upcoming weekend, one from the mezzanine and one from the front orchestra.

JustAnotherNewYorker
#4Groundhog Day thoughts!
Posted: 8/26/17 at 6:27pm

Andy's great. I'd watch him doing anything, even spouting French poetry...come to think of it, I have

HSky
#5Groundhog Day thoughts!
Posted: 8/26/17 at 6:46pm

Kitsune said: "10086Sundays, I'm curious some of the things you've started to notice the more you've seen it?  The one that stood out to me on viewing #2 was how everyone else is in motion on the Tilt-a-Whirl, and but Phil in comparison isn't moving."

I love that whole scene. He does react to Chubby Guy having a good time and tightens his coat around him but then starts paying attention to Rita.

One of the other moments I like is watching to see what Andy does in the almanac scene. The first few times he would sniff his shoe, recently, it's been shaking dirt or rocks out. It's only a small background detail but that's the stuff that makes it felt lived in and authentic. 

Updated On: 8/26/17 at 06:46 PM

thebookofwhizzer Profile Photo
thebookofwhizzer
#6Groundhog Day thoughts!
Posted: 8/26/17 at 6:55pm

Kitsune, Taylor played Rita as a bit taken back by Phil but still enjoyed his presence. She also made Rita seem confused by Phil a bunch! But i had no comparison to Barrett so i don't know if she plays Rita the same.

“6 AM. The sky glows. Somewhere a bird chirps. I want to shoot it.” ~ Jonathan Larson, Tick...Tick..BOOM

10086Sundays
#7Groundhog Day thoughts!
Posted: 8/26/17 at 7:07pm

Love the Tilt-a-Whirl and how Phil goes from hating it to watching Rita enjoying it, which makes him smile and start to embrace a positive outlook on life.

Other details? Well... I'll do bullet points, so as not to turn this into an essay.

Mr. Jensen - Change, Mister?
Phil - Not today.

So Jensen is asking for money, but also, since accepting his death is one of the the biggest lessons for Phil, he's suggesting that Phil learn and change who he is as a person. Phil starts off saying "Not today," but in the end he does change today. 

Phil gets annoyed by Larry doing the countdown from 5, but by the end of the show, when he's surrendered control and learned to listen to and appreciate people, he doesn't argue with Larry about it.

In the second "day" of Phil and Rita's date at the fancy restaurant, when she says "I'm a million miles away from where I started," Phil mouths the words along with her.

Jeff asks the Deputy to dance during "Seeing You." It's such a sweet moment. Sometimes the audience catches it and reacts and sometimes they don't.

Phil/Ned - From when they first meet to when Phil actually takes the time to talk to Ned and learns about his wife, they reverse their blocking.  Whereas in Act 1 Ned lays a hand on Phil's shoulder, as if he can tell he needs help, in Act 2, after Ned tells Phil about his wife, Phil puts his hand on Ned's shoulder.  Same thing happens at the end of "Night Will Come."  They switch places literally and figuratively, including who is stage left and who is stage right.

When Phil is in the loop, the bedroom set rotates counter-clockwise. After "Seeing You," it rotates clockwise because Phil has broken the loop.

Whoever is playing Rita appears in the opening number as a nondescript townsperson.

Ned's jingle about "you gotta love life" making people laugh in Act 1 and cry in Act 2.

Buster says about Phil, the groundhog, "Isn't he cute? And yet there's a hint of sadness."
Mrs. Lancaster says about Phil, the person, "Well he sure has a spring in his step. And yet there's a hint of sadness." (After he's started to be nice to everyone in Act 2.)

Fred has a Ghostbusters patch on his backpack.

In "One Day" Phil offers Rita candies. At the end of "If I Had My Time Again," Rita gives him candy/fudge.

Phil & Rita's light up necklaces are heart shaped.

During "Punxsutawney Rock" Andy calls out different things to the crowd. Sometimes he congratulates Fred and Debbie on their engagement, other times he calls out a different dance move for them all to do. It was the "Charleston" last time I was there.

Updated On: 8/26/17 at 07:07 PM

marcor
#8Groundhog Day thoughts!
Posted: 8/27/17 at 1:00am

I was at matinee today and everyone in the cast went out of stage door immediately after the show and were all gracious in signing playbills / having pictures taken with them. They are all so good in this show.

ARTc3
#9Groundhog Day thoughts!
Posted: 8/27/17 at 1:23am

I loved this show. I am so sad that it hasn't found a larger audience.

ARTc3 formerly ARTc. Actually been a poster since 2004. My name isn't Art. Drop the "3" and say the signature and you'll understand.

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#10Groundhog Day thoughts!
Posted: 8/29/17 at 9:46pm

10086Sundays, I apologize for being so late to the game after you wrote such a thoughtful response, but this is a really fun list!

I had noticed the turntables going counter-clockwise, but I never put it together that they turn clockwise at the end of the loop - that's really neat.  I'll also look out for the reverse Phil/Ned blocking!

Jeff asking the Deputy to dance I always thought was an incredibly sweet moment.  I didn't notice it until someone else pointed it out, but now that I know where to look I always try to.  Honestly, there's so much going on with the ensemble in this show that it's tempting to just watch them in some scenes, but I'm also attached enough to the main action that I don't want to ignore it!!!

I remember at my first viewing seeing Debbie reading Fifty Shades of Grey while sitting next to Fred, but I'm blanking on whether it happened during my second viewing.

Another thing - does anyone know if Andy still does the "Aren't you the least bit curious?" line at the diner now that he's no longer wearing a knee brace?

JustAnotherNewYorker
#11Groundhog Day thoughts!
Posted: 8/29/17 at 9:57pm

Kitsune said: "
Another thing - does anyone know if Andy still does the "Aren't you the least bit curious?" line at the diner now that he's no longer wearing a knee brace?"

I saw it last week (I'm well into double-digit times). He still did it, but pointed up and down at himself (with the leg still up), so not as focused on his knee as it was right after the injury.

10086Sundays
#12Groundhog Day thoughts!
Posted: 8/29/17 at 10:02pm

No worries! I know how quickly threads can get buried here and folks have jobs, etc.. smiley

Debbie is reading "Fifty Shades of Grey" during "If I Had My Time Again!" I forgot to include that. Love Frebbie.

Andy still does that line. At least, I'm 85% sure. Will confirm this weekend. wink

And I know what you mean about there being so much going on and wanting to watch it all but having to choose.  I've found moments where I make myself watch the ensemble even if it means misses a beat with the leads, but there are certain moments with Phil and/or Rita I have to watch every time. The diner scenes make it hard to pick though.  Except for "oh, yes you doooo" of course.

HSky
#13Groundhog Day thoughts!
Posted: 8/29/17 at 10:53pm

There's also the reversal late during "One Day" that I love. It's Phil's day literally rewinding and reflects how his worldview still has him at the center of everything and he's not quite yet seeing the town as individuals although it starts setting up the audience for that with many characters having a "I want" moment.

Besides the dance between Jeff and the Deputy, one of my favorite background moments in "Seeing You" is when William Parry's town elder character says something to Larry that prompts him to have the nerve to get up and talk to Nancy. I'm going to miss those little background moments.

Updated On: 8/30/17 at 10:53 PM

10086Sundays
#14Groundhog Day thoughts!
Posted: 8/30/17 at 12:52am

I love that portion of "One Day" with Phil's day going in reverse. It was a clever way to show the repetition, but in a different way and perfectly set up Phil's despair in Act 2.

Also can't believe I didn't mention Larry asking Nancy to dance. Yes, that is a beautiful moment.

I think one of the show's strengths was how it made you care about everyone in the town, not just Phil and Rita. It's a credit to the work Matthew Warchus, Danny Rubin, and the cast did to create deep backstories and relationships for all the characters, so no one is out there just being "Townsperson #12" waving a sign.

Watching Jonathan/Chubby Man and Mrs. Lancaster together is fun too. Especially once you know that they're related. (The characters, not the actors.)

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#15Groundhog Day thoughts!
Posted: 8/30/17 at 2:57am

HSky said: "Besides the dance between Jeff and the Deputy, one of my favorite background moments in "Seeing You" is when William Party's town elder character says something to Larry that prompts him to have the nerve to get up and talk to Nancy. I'm going to miss those little background moments.

"

I never noticed that's what prompts Larry to ask Nancy - I'll look out for it next time!!!

Excited for my two viewings this weekend, but also sad that they will be my last time seeing the show in its current incarnation.  All great things, I suppose.

springwillcome Profile Photo
springwillcome
#16Groundhog Day thoughts!
Posted: 8/30/17 at 8:48am

"
Buster says about Phil, the groundhog, "Isn't he cute? And yet there's a hint of sadness."
Mrs. Lancastersays about Phil, the person, "Well he sure has a spring in his step. And yet there's a hint of sadness." (After he's started to be nice to everyone in Act 2.)"

Also, if you listen closely, every time Buster says it Phil enters the scene earlier and earlier and he gets more and more cut off. Right before seeing you, Buster only says "He's smiling at me. well. Okay, it's off to the banquet." He doesn't even try to say there's a hint of sadness. really small but well done things are EVERYWHERE in this show.

Some things re: the music. I love how the first Phil song in act one is "Day One" and the last is "One Day". There's a flute solo at the end of seeing you that is the same notes as "oh if I could I'd will these clouds away my love" in there will be sun. There will be sun is in 12/8 but they do it at curtain call in 4/4 over the Nobody Cares instrumental. There's also a lot of stuff with when Phil is in 4/4 vs. other time signatures that I want to re-listen and double check before I imply meaning in it...but its really cool. I'm also pretty sure the piano bit at the beginning of night will come also plays in the movie, but I've only ever seen the movie once l I'd have to double check that

one more fun thing: everyone loves to watch Jeff and the Deputy during Seeing You. But the best is watching Jeff during Pinxsutawney Rock. He does the funniest choreo in the world - spins alone in a circle like 5 times just waving his arms around and then does the macarena. 

10086Sundays
#17Groundhog Day thoughts!
Posted: 8/30/17 at 12:19pm

Thinking about the "spring in his step" line, there are more layers to it than just the "hint of sadness" tag.

Yes, it's a common phrase, but given the show's "spring will come" recurring theme, the line also represents Phil beginning to let Rita in, find happiness, and view people differently. He's starting to thaw as it were, but not quite there yet, hence the sadness.

springwillcome - I wish I knew more about music theory & composition so that I could appreciate all that Tim Minchin put into the score on that level. If you haven't already, check out his Facebook Live about GHD. He goes in depth about such things.

Updated On: 8/30/17 at 12:19 PM

Jarethan
#18Groundhog Day thoughts!
Posted: 8/30/17 at 8:01pm

Didn't see the show -- have had zero interest in it from the gitgo.  But, I have listened to the cast recording half a dozen times (to give it a fair chance of working its way into my favor) and havre concluded that it is one of the most unentertaining cast recordings I have listened to in I don't know how long.  Just awful.  

springwillcome Profile Photo
springwillcome
#19Groundhog Day thoughts!
Posted: 8/30/17 at 11:05pm

Jarethan said: "Didn't see the show -- havehad zero interest in it from the gitgo. But, I have listened to the cast recording half a dozen times (to give it a fair chance of working its way into my favor) and havre concluded that itis one of the most unentertaining cast recordings I have listened to in I don't know how long. Just awful. "

Thats nice don't remember anyone asking tho. But in the interest lf being civil bc of course different opinions are fine. The cast recording is definitely better appreciated after seeing it + with context. I've seen many many people say they didn't like it and then saw it and loved the recording after. To each his own. But also, why spread negativity when it's irrelevant? 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#20Groundhog Day thoughts!
Posted: 8/30/17 at 11:11pm

Jarethan, I agree that the show's score is very hard to listen to on its own. It's definitely not a singalong, car ride cast album. However, it works so, so well on that stage. I've now seen the show four times, will be going to its closing performance, and it's one of my all-time favorites. I just had to chime in that while I don't disagree with you on the album, the show as a whole is bliss.

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#21Groundhog Day thoughts!
Posted: 8/30/17 at 11:51pm

I'm an anomaly in that I actually got into GHD through the cast recording.  I was getting sick of listening to just Hamilton at work, and then realized that Groundhog Day had a cast album and that it was on Spotify.  The movie is among my all time favorites and I had a lot of fun seeing how some of my favorite moments were adapted.  "If I Had My Time Again" was the point where I started seriously looking at how I could make a detour to see the show on the way to visit family to.

That being said, I get how the album on its own isn't everyone's cup of tea.  Many of the songs work better in context - I didn't particularly like "Nobody Cares" or "Night Will Come" until I saw them in the show.  And while I think "Seeing You" is gorgeous, it's much more effective within the context of Phil's journey.

I keep meaning to check out more of Tim Minchin's solo music - it's probably something I would enjoy.

10086Sundays
#22Groundhog Day thoughts!
Posted: 8/31/17 at 12:18am

Just block Jarethan, they add nothing of substance to the board. It's a wonderful feature.