pixeltracker

DREAMGIRLS- Movie Director's Cut

DREAMGIRLS- Movie Director's Cut

#1DREAMGIRLS- Movie Director's Cut
Posted: 10/18/17 at 11:35am

Has anyone seen it?  Specifically, what is the additional footage from the film?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2DREAMGIRLS- Movie Director's Cut
Posted: 10/18/17 at 12:00pm

Just longer scenes. If they had added in the rest of the score they gutted to make this film, it would be worth it. Sadly, it’s still just a crap adaptation. 

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#3DREAMGIRLS- Movie Director's Cut
Posted: 10/18/17 at 12:04pm

Longer takes of the opening talent show acts, the beginning of Steppin' to the Bad Side, CC and Effie's cut song, and a few longer moments here and there.

....but the world goes 'round

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#4DREAMGIRLS- Movie Director's Cut
Posted: 10/18/17 at 12:13pm

If it had Ain't No Party, I'd buy it in a flash.  Still pissed that was cut from the screenplay.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

#5DREAMGIRLS- Movie Director's Cut
Posted: 10/18/17 at 12:45pm

Thanks everyone!  I kinda wish they filmed the  Vegas "Opening Number to Act 2" and the Vogue Sequence

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#6DREAMGIRLS- Movie Director's Cut
Posted: 10/18/17 at 1:00pm

It Ain't No Party is one of my favorite songs from the Original Broadway Cast Recording, but sadly I don't think anyone can sing it like Loretta Divine.  I missed the 2001 benefit concert performance and was so excited to get the live recording.  I was broken hearted for Heather Headley at what a tragic vocal performance that was for her on It Ain't No Party, and that that recording would be out there in the world forever.  I don't think Anika Noni Rose would have been able to pull it off vocally, at least not in the original key but I suppose they would have been able to doctor it in post production

Updated On: 10/18/17 at 01:00 PM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#7DREAMGIRLS- Movie Director's Cut
Posted: 10/18/17 at 1:38pm

All those extended musical numbers are on the Deluxe Editions as extras on the original DVD and Blu-ray releases so no need to get this “Director’s Cut.”   Are the extras on this new one at least worthy?   

thommg Profile Photo
thommg
#8DREAMGIRLS- Movie Director's Cut
Posted: 10/18/17 at 1:52pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "All those extended musical numbers are on the Deluxe Editions as extras onthe original DVD and Blu-ray releases so no need to get this “Director’s Cut.” Are the extras on this new one at least worthy?"

This may be true but it would be a different experience to have them placed in the movie where they were originally seen, rather than piecemeal after the fact.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#9DREAMGIRLS- Movie Director's Cut
Posted: 10/18/17 at 2:16pm

Tom2072, Anika Noni Rose’s screen test of “Ain’t No Party” was on the extras for the original release. It’s pretty great. Not sure if it’s included on the new release. It may be ion the Target special edition. 

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"
Updated On: 10/18/17 at 02:16 PM

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#10DREAMGIRLS- Movie Director's Cut
Posted: 10/18/17 at 2:26pm

Updated On: 2/12/18 at 02:26 PM

EvanstonDad
#11DREAMGIRLS- Movie Director's Cut
Posted: 10/18/17 at 3:18pm

Didn't even know there was a director's cut of this film. Ugh, can't imagine sitting through an even longer version of this crap fest.

SchuylWERKsister Profile Photo
SchuylWERKsister
#12DREAMGIRLS- Movie Director's Cut
Posted: 10/18/17 at 3:51pm

Mildred Plotka said: "Tom2072, Anika NoniRose’s screen testof “Ain’t No Party” was on the extras for the original release. It’s pretty great. Not sure if it’s included on the new release. It may be ionthe Target special edition."

I didn't like Anika's Ain't No Party. She has such a big voice that went very thin on the high parts. I find her voice to be too robust for the stage version of the show.