pixeltracker

'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' was a great success- Page 2

'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' was a great success

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#25Charlie was born on 3rd, but only hit a single
Posted: 1/17/18 at 3:27pm

Sorry, but Charlie was not a success. If you liked it, great. Don't let anyone else's reviews take away your enjoyment of it. I'm sure most of us are fans of some shows that are not widely considered "successes". I know I am.

As for Charlie, the London version was far from perfect, but it did deliver up the kind of grand spectacle that the source material lends itself to - there were some great moments of stage magic throughout. Going for minimalism on Broadway I think was a mistake. I never saw the show at the Lunt, but I have listened to the cast recording and I think some of the changes/additions to the score actually made it worse. I'll take "Juicy!" over "When Willie Met Oompa" any day, but why did they not ax "If Your Father Was Here"? In London, the song absolutely ground the show to a halt right when the momentum should have been building to the moment where Charlie got the ticket.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 1/17/18 at 03:27 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#26Charlie was born on 3rd, but only hit a single
Posted: 1/17/18 at 3:48pm

IlanaKeller said: "haterobics said: "Using this metric, could any show ever fail?"

Absolutely. And by this metric alone, many shows widely considered successes would fail.

I doubt that Gypsy would make many kids happy. By your metric, is Gypsy a failure in your eyes?

LxGstv
#27Charlie was born on 3rd, but only hit a single
Posted: 1/17/18 at 3:58pm

haterobics said: "IlanaKeller said: "Absolutely. And by this metric alone, many shows widely considered successes would fail."

So, if a 9 y/o boy isn't dancing in the aisle during intermission at The Band's Visit yelling "Bet Hatikva!Bet Hatikva!", the show is a failure? Yeah, I can't sign on to the Upside Down here....
"

I get your point, but The Band’s Visit doesn’t have an intermission!

Updated On: 1/17/18 at 03:58 PM

IlanaKeller
#28Charlie was born on 3rd, but only hit a single
Posted: 1/17/18 at 3:58pm

haterobics said: "IlanaKeller said: "Absolutely. And by this metric alone, many shows widely considered successes would fail."

So, if a 9 y/o boy isn't dancing in the aisle during intermission at The Band's Visit yelling "Bet Hatikva!Bet Hatikva!", the show is a failure? Yeah, I can't sign on to the Upside Down here....
"\

Not what I said, now is it? You asked if any show could ever fail USING THIS METRIC (it being meaningful to kids) alone. The answer to that is yes.

Twitter: @IlanaKeller Latest work: app.com/topic/asbury-park-broadway/

IlanaKeller
#29Charlie was born on 3rd, but only hit a single
Posted: 1/17/18 at 4:05pm

adamgreer said: "IlanaKeller said: "haterobics said: "Using this metric, could any show ever fail?"

Absolutely. And by this metric alone, many shows widely considered successes would fail.

I doubt that Gypsy would make many kids happy. By your metric, is Gypsy a failure in your eyes?
"

IF I were to judge it on its meaningfulness to children ALONE, perhaps. But why would I do that? A show, of course, should be judged with acknowledgment given to its target audience, etc.

As I have asked, in a broader sense, what makes a show successful? If it hits one mark spectacularly, is it a success (as I feel this did)? If it hits several (let's say a long-running reframed revival) marginally, is it? What does a show need to do to make it successful in your eyes? 

chuckydisc
#30Charlie was born on 3rd, but only hit a single
Posted: 1/17/18 at 4:07pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "No, it wasn’t.

Edit: Also, your argument that it was successful because it made kids happy (and I can attest to several relatives and friends whose children left extremelydisappointed) is poor because I can name 40 other shows that do the same thing—and are actually good.

This should have been beyond amazing and just totally failed.
"

I bet that the kids would have been happier with $139 ( or whatever their ticket cost ) worth of candy to eat instead of seeing the show.

IlanaKeller
#31Charlie was born on 3rd, but only hit a single
Posted: 1/17/18 at 4:10pm

So would their dentists.

broadwaysfguy
#32Charlie was born on 3rd, but only hit a single
Posted: 1/17/18 at 4:41pm

this was one of the best executed and most beloved movie musicals when it came out in the 1970s
fantastic story songs sets acting not to mention the ompa lumpas

as a stage musical this was a trainwreck and will go down as one of the worst shows on broadway of its season

your definition of success must be a participation troohy.

strap yourself in for a bumpy ride in the real world unless you are a trust fund kid

IlanaKeller
#33Charlie was born on 3rd, but only hit a single
Posted: 1/17/18 at 4:47pm

broadwaysfguy said: "this was one of the best executed and most beloved movie musicals when it came out in the 1970s
fantastic story songs sets acting not to mention the ompa lumpas

as a stage musical this was a trainwreck and will go down as one of the worst shows on broadway of its season

your definition of success must be a participation troohy.

strap yourself in for a bumpy ride in the real world unless you are a trust fund kid

"

Option A: Read the story (or a least the other comments), know what my definition of success is here, perhaps have a dialogue about it if you have a different opinion.

Option B: Don't read, make assumptions and post a hilariously "biting" comment.

What's that about succeeding in the real world?

Updated On: 1/17/18 at 04:47 PM

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#34Charlie was born on 3rd, but only hit a single
Posted: 1/17/18 at 8:17pm

It’s great that you and those around you enjoyed this production, but if you’re just looking for every post to agree with you you’re not going to find it here. If you and the children you observed enjoyed it, that’s wonderful. Why does it have to be labeled successful or not?

The producers were clearly trying to cut corners with the production values of this. Many went in expecting a giant spectacle (and they should have given the property) and it didn’t deliver for a large chunk of the audience. It got bad reviews and the word of mouth clearly didn’t help it overcome the bad press. You say the kids around you loved it. There have also been many reports of children who didn’t. You are going off a sample audience from a single performance. That doesn’t mean the audiences for every performance were similar. Again it’s great those kids around you seemed to be enjoying themselves, but it doesn’t seem like this was the case at every performance.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

IlanaKeller
#35Charlie was born on 3rd, but only hit a single
Posted: 1/17/18 at 9:15pm

Mildred Plotka said: "It’s great that you and those around you enjoyed this production, but if you’re just looking for every post to agree with you you’re not going to find it here."

Literally started out saying "I'm sure many will disagree..." What I asked if that if someone does not, that they share their thoughts on what makes something successful.

"You are going off a sample audience from a single performance. That doesn’t mean the audiences for every performance were similar. Again it’s great those kids around you seemed to be enjoying themselves, but it doesn’t seem like this was the case at every performance."

In an opinion column, I share my experiences. I'm more than happy to hear about others' experiences as they share them, and certainly anyone is welcome to challenge my thoughts and share theirs, whether it is here, by email or phone call or even a letter to the editor. Like I've said a number of times, I welcome a dialogue, and certainly am not looking for or expecting everyone to agree with me -- that'd be pretty boring, anyway!

Updated On: 1/17/18 at 09:15 PM

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#36Charlie was born on 3rd, but only hit a single
Posted: 1/17/18 at 9:16pm

the only way Charlie could be considered even a mild success is if you completely change the definition of the word “success”

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

IlanaKeller
#37Charlie was born on 3rd, but only hit a single
Posted: 1/17/18 at 9:20pm

gypsy101 said: "the only way Charlie could be considered even a mild success is if you completely change the definition of the word “success”"

What's your definition of a successful show?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#38Charlie was born on 3rd, but only hit a single
Posted: 1/17/18 at 9:22pm

IlanaKeller said: "gypsy101 said: "the only way Charlie could be considered even a mild success is if you completely change the definition of the word “success”"

What's your definition of a successful show?
"

You keep asking this question... it is quite clear from the responses on this thread that Charlie was NOT a successful show.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

IlanaKeller
#39Charlie was born on 3rd, but only hit a single
Posted: 1/17/18 at 9:37pm

And?

Should we just define success as "not Charlie" or perhaps go with Potter Stewart's logic on determining what something is, then? 

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#40Charlie was born on 3rd, but only hit a single
Posted: 1/17/18 at 9:43pm

I happened to enjoy Chirty Chitty Bang Bang more than most people. It always brought a smile to my face, and I thought the performance that Jan Maxwell turned in every night was a comedic masterclass in getting something out of nothing.

However, that doesn’t change the fact that the show was a massive, massive, flop that lost almost its entire investment, got scathing reviews, and limped along for much of its run, especially when the bad word of mouth began leaking out. It was a flop. It was completely unsuccessful. There were plenty of children there who seemed to enjoy the show, but also plenty that didn’t. Neither group’s opinion changed the fact that the show was an unsuccessful flop. And that doesn’t change the fact that I enjoyed it a great deal and happily gave them my patronage multiple times.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#41Charlie was born on 3rd, but only hit a single
Posted: 1/17/18 at 10:49pm

Literally all of you ignored the OP's very polite request.

Probably because we're familiar with the OP and her MO.

I happened to enjoy Chirty Chitty Bang Bang more than most people.

I loved Chitty!  I thought Raoul was woefully miscast, but otherwise, an absolute delight in every way.  Maxell and Kudisch were hilarious.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#42Charlie was born on 3rd, but only hit a single
Posted: 1/17/18 at 11:11pm

Mister Matt said: "Literally all of you ignored the OP's very polite request.

Probably because we're familiar with the OP and her MO.

I happened to enjoy Chirty Chitty Bang Bang more than most people.

I loved Chitty! I thought Raoul was woefully miscast, but otherwise, an absolute delight in every way. Maxell and Kudisch were hilarious.
"

Did you ever happen to catch Rick Hilsabeck in the role? He was the understudy and then took over for the last month or so. A much, much, better choice for the role than Esparza, who was, as you said, terribly miscast. 

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#43Charlie was born on 3rd, but only hit a single
Posted: 1/18/18 at 1:21am

Dear Original Poster,

This show was a piece of excrement.

The End.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#44Charlie was born on 3rd, but only hit a single
Posted: 1/18/18 at 1:26am

CarlosAlberto said: "This show was a piece of excrement."

By her reasoning, I think that would still make Charlie a success amongst fecalphiliacs.

IlanaKeller
#45Charlie was born on 3rd, but only hit a single
Posted: 1/18/18 at 9:52am

CarlosAlberto said: "Dear Original Poster,

This show was a piece of excrement.

The End.
"

Thank you for your clever and insightful contribution to the dialogue!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#46Charlie was born on 3rd, but only hit a single
Posted: 1/18/18 at 10:01am

I don't understand the purpose of needing to parse what "successful" means here. You seem to be bending the word in such a way that it can be applied to anything.

Objectively, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory got dismissed by critics and flopped at the box office. It was a critical and financial failure.

Since taste is subjective, and pretty much every person alive has a fondness for something that others hate, the only way to objectively judge something's "success" is by factors that everyone acknowledges to be true.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#47Charlie was born on 3rd, but only hit a single
Posted: 1/18/18 at 10:29am

Agreed. This notion that "if the show brought one smile to one child's face, it was a success" is just far too diabetes-inducing for me. But I acknowledge its appeal to a certain sector of our species that is extraordinarily susceptible to cheap sentiment.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#48Charlie was born on 3rd, but only hit a single
Posted: 1/18/18 at 10:37am

Did you ever happen to catch Rick Hilsabeck in the role?

Sadly, I only got to see the show the one time.  I loved it and the audience loved it, but unfortunately, it was not a success because it closed at a loss.  I don't need to bury my definition of success in a blog and create a clickbait post and headline (followed by a ridiculously transparent passive-aggressive excuse to further entice people to read it) in order to generate traffic.  Every single show is considered a "great success" if you attach a hidden qualifier to it.  And by not attaching the qualifier to it in the headline or in the post (but admitting that there is a specific qualifier that is likely controversial, but you have to go to her blog to find it), IlanaKeller just wants traffic as clearly, she's only interested in repeating her herself and controlling the conversation.

Objectively, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory got dismissed by critics and flopped at the box office. It was a critical and financial failure.

Yup.  So was Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, but it was also a great success.  Send $250,000 to my Paypal account to find out why.  And don't snark unless you follow my rules and say what I want.  Whether you do or not, I'll still just say it's a success because I say so, but I'll pretend to be nice so I can be pathologically passive-aggressive.  kthnx

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#49Charlie was born on 3rd, but only hit a single
Posted: 1/18/18 at 11:20am

Can I send the $250k to your onlyfans page?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."