FROZEN Reviews

Great Dame
#100FROZEN Reviews
Posted: 3/24/18 at 1:31am

mailhandler777 said: "How many people really listen to what critics say?

For me if I want to see a show I don't go reading what people find wrong with it.
"

This. Everyone I know who has seen it has loved it, including myself. 

mailhandler777
#101FROZEN Reviews
Posted: 3/24/18 at 2:37am

Great Dame said: "mailhandler777 said: "How many people really listen to what critics say?

For me if I want to see a show I don't go reading what people find wrong with it.
"

"

I just bought my ticket for my 3rd time. Got one of the partials in the orchestra since I've been in the mezzanine the other 2 times. 

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

Great Dame
#102FROZEN Reviews
Posted: 3/24/18 at 3:31am

mailhandler777 said: "Great Dame said: "mailhandler777 said: "How many people really listen to what critics say?

"

"

I just bought my ticket for my 3rd time. Got one of the partials in the orchestra since I've been in the mezzanine the other 2 times.
"

Nice!! I have tickets in May for my fifth and sixth times lol! To be fair I saw it four times in Denver where it was A LOT cheaper. I saw it twice with limited view for $40, no joke. Best deal ever! I'll be in NYC for 10 days... and am honestly considering packing in a third show. Both of my tickets are orchestra and everyone seems to think mezz is better. So naturally I should go one more time right?! Haha! I don't know if I'll ever get to see Caissie Levy perform again since I'm not local, so I'm making sure I pack it in while I'm there!

mailhandler777
#103FROZEN Reviews
Posted: 3/24/18 at 4:07am

The mezz is amazing. There are special effects happening on the floor during Let It Go. I went with the closer ones now so I can clearly see their faces.

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#104FROZEN Reviews
Posted: 3/28/18 at 8:10pm

Aisha is on for Anna tonight!

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

mailhandler777
#105FROZEN Reviews
Posted: 3/28/18 at 8:39pm

Bwayfan292 said: "Aisha is on for Anna tonight!"

And possibly the rest of the week since Patti has bronchitis.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#106FROZEN Reviews
Posted: 3/28/18 at 8:39pm

You beat me to the punch!!! I'm so excited for her!!!!

Great Dame
#107FROZEN Reviews
Posted: 3/30/18 at 12:01am

greenifyme2 said: "I was hyped but the thread police shut me down. Sure it has some problems but overall it’s fun."

I'm still hyped from the run last fall in Denver haha! Hyped enough I'm flying out there in May to see it again! Twice! I fricking loved it! Honestly, it doesn't surprise me that the reviews are mixed, are critics expected to be kind to Disney? I think they are harder on most screen-to-stage productions. If it's not original they don't love it as much, which I totally don't understand. It's a great adaptation to Disney's most successful movie.

Great Dame
#108FROZEN Reviews
Posted: 3/30/18 at 12:20am

CurtainPullDowner said: "Here's one (big) example of why I think the show is so misguided"

The big, dramatic moment of the show is, of course, LET IT GO. So what happens? There is a blackout, lights up, we see Ice Palace, Ilsa walks on, goes center stage, sings a brief introduction, with some bad lyrics about something,than sings her t*ts (and dress) off. Moves her hands around, some lighting effects, the song ends, Curtain! End of Act. No scene, no dialogue, no motivation for the big song. It's like the writer and Director threw up their hands and said just sing the damn song. I felt nothing."

Seriously, this is so offensive and disrespectful for so many reasons. "Sings her t*ts (and dress) off"?!?!? Really? Why are you trolling Frozen threads? Have you even seen the show? If you did and didn't like, that's fine. Just go see something else already and stop whining about how much you hate this show. If you haven't seen it, then frankly your opinion in a review post doesn't matter. 

I think some people are taking this way too seriously. It's a DISNEY story with a lovely message about accepting yourself. It's not fricking Shakespeare. The show is highly entertaining, the vocals are absolutely ridiculous, the effects are very cool and overall you leave with a smile on your face. It's a wonderful piece of theater, and if you didn't like the movie then of course you are not going to like the musical. If you loved the movie you are going to love the musical. If you were meh about the movie, you will likely be meh about the musical. People, you know what this is. They took some risks by adding new material to their highest grossing film. They would be idiots if they did much more than that. 

Great Dame
#109FROZEN Reviews
Posted: 3/30/18 at 12:24am

mailhandler777 said: "Great Dame said: "mailhandler777 said: "How many people really listen to what critics say?

"

"

"

I just snagged a ticket for front row ahhhh!! It's all the way to the right side and not going to be the best view of the show but I've never sat that close in a big production like this. I'm a huge Caissie Levy fan and if the gods are kind and nothing comes up for her that night, I will be RIGHT there when she freezes everything. Now I have tickets to three nights while I'm out there hahaha! I regret nothing! 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#110FROZEN Reviews
Posted: 3/30/18 at 12:46am

I haven’t seen this show (and have no plans to), but to say that critics were less than enthusiastic about this show because it was Disney or because it was a film-to-stage adaptation doesn’t completely hold up in my estimation because a) the reviews for Aladdin were overall much kinder than the reviews for Frozen, and b) the reviews for Waitress and School of Rock were good and the the reviews for The Band’s Visit were pretty much overall raves. All those were film-to stage adaptations.

Look, I get it. Sometimes we love shows most critics dismiss. I loved If/Then and American Idiot. So I get your pain. But isn’t that the great thing about art? It’s mostly subjective - it resonates with each person differently. I never want a person to have a crummy night at the theater (tickets are way too expensive for that and joy is fleeting) even if they’re seeing a show I don’t particularly like.

I have come to accept that there are are two types of theatre goers. We are either mainly fanboys/fangirls or critics. I’ve come to accept that I’m mostly a fanboy, but I also acknowledge that theater needs both fans (to uplift) and critics (to keep the mark high) to thrive. Most of the disagreements on here on when fans want critics to simply be fans or critics want fans to morph into critics. Neither is likely to happen.

You love this show. That’s awesome. No need to worry about why others don’t love it as much as you. Lots of other fans love it as much as you. Take comfort in that.

Updated On: 3/30/18 at 12:46 AM

222disneyland
#111FROZEN Reviews
Posted: 3/30/18 at 4:10am

Miles2Go2 said: "I haven’t seen this show (and have no plans to), but to say that critics were less than enthusiastic about this show because it was Disney or because it was a film-to-stage adaptation doesn’t completely hold up in my estimation because a) the reviews for Aladdin were overall much kinder than the reviews for Frozen, and b) the reviews for Waitress and School of Rock were good and the the reviews for The Band’s were pretty much overall raves. All those were film-to stage adaptations.

Look, I get it. Sometimes we love shows most critics dismiss. I loved If/Then and American Idiot. So I get your pain. But isn’t that the great thing about art? It’s mostly subjective - it resonates with each person differently. I never want a person to have a crummy night at the theater (tickets are way too expensive for that and joy is fleeting) even if they’re seeing a show I don’t particularly like.

I have come to accept that there are are two types of theatre goers. We are either mainly fanboys/fangirls or critics. I’ve come to accept that I’m mostly a fanboy, but I also acknowledge that theater needs both fans (to uplift) and critics (to keep the mark high) to thrive. Most of the disagreements on here on when fans want critics to simply be fans or critics want fans to morph into critics. Neither is likely to happen.

You love this show. That’s awesome. No need to worry about why others don’t love it as much as you. Lots of other fans love it as much as you. Take comfort in that.
"

But the critics did not dismiss American Idiot!!! What are you talking about it was a nyt critics pick

222disneyland
#112FROZEN Reviews
Posted: 3/30/18 at 4:12am

American idiot was the best reviewed show that season besides fela.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#113FROZEN Reviews
Posted: 3/30/18 at 5:28am

I saw the show. I did not like it and I am not a troll. And singing your t*ts off is a good thing. 

I've seen DISNEY shows that I like but not this one. It was put together quickly to cash in on the movie. Throw your money at it if you like, Have a blast.

johnmichael
#114FROZEN Reviews
Posted: 3/30/18 at 6:15am

I really loved this show, and  i'm really bemused by all the anger and bile thats been thrown at it. Patti was a joy, and Caissie blew the roof off. I've not seen a more beautiful looking show, scenically, costume and lighting, for ages. The puppets were extraordinary. The ensemble singing bliss. It was both the film, and yet so much more than just the film, deeper, more nuanced, and more satisfying. It is a proper broadway musical. Its message is clear and strong, and in these troubled times, important, and clearly the hundreds of people around me that night thought the same.

Updated On: 3/30/18 at 06:15 AM

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#115FROZEN Reviews
Posted: 3/30/18 at 7:35am

222disneyland said: "American idiot was the best reviewed show that season besides fela."

I didn’t read all the reviews then like I do now. I do recall the NYT liking it a lot, but not all other reviewers were as enthusiastic. I also recall it didn’t get much love from the Tonys - only winning best lighting by design. Memphis won the Tony for Best New Musical and none of the performers in AI were even nominated.  But point taken. If/Then is probably a better example of a show I loved more than the critics. Didn’t curb my enthusiasm for the show one bit though. Critics are as entitled to their opinion as I am to mine. They just have a larger mouthpiece as they’ve earned it, usually through lots of study and honing of their craft. And I think they do perform a valuable service even if I don’t agree with them 100% of the time (maybe even exactly because I don’t always agree with them). 

Updated On: 3/30/18 at 07:35 AM

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#116FROZEN Reviews
Posted: 3/30/18 at 8:29am

"Just go see something else already and stop whining about how much you hate this show." What a bizarre thing to say.  This isn't a fan thread- it's a thread about the reviews of this show- many of which were luke-warm.

Maybe Great Dame you should stop trolling this thread with your raves: we get it, you love the show unconditionally from what you have said.  But many people, including the critics, are bothered by its flaws.  And we'll say so.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#117FROZEN Reviews
Posted: 3/30/18 at 10:43am

Great Dame said: "Why are you trolling Frozen threads? Have you even seen the show? If you did and didn't like, that's fine. Just go see something else already and stop whining about how much you hate this show. If you haven't seen it, then frankly your opinion in a review post doesn't matter."

While everyone has a right to their opinion, I've never understood the apparent pleasure that some people derive from hanging out in threads for the sole purpose of raining on others' parade. If you see a show and don't particularly care for it, by all means post your (preferably intelligent and logical) critique in the corresponding "Reviews" thread. But if you then repeatedly return to that thread to post retreads of your already stated opinion, you're no longer critiquing; you're trolling. We heard you the first time.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage
Updated On: 3/30/18 at 10:43 AM

Great Dame
#118FROZEN Reviews
Posted: 3/30/18 at 5:48pm

CurtainPullDowner said: "I saw the show. I did notlike it and I am not a troll. And singing your t*ts off is a good thing.

I've seen DISNEY shows that I like but not this one. It was put together quickly to cash in on the movie. Throw your money at it if you like, Have a blast.
"

The t*ts comment did not come across that way. If you meant it in a good way then I totally agree haha, she does sing her t*ts off, as well as every audience members' on top of that. But I even reread it and it definitely sounded like you rage typing about how crappy the song was so I thought you were taking a stab. Sounds like a miscommunication.

devonian.t
I didn't mean to imply that negative reviews weren't allowed, I've commented about the things I didn't love in other threads. What I find annoying is when people who haven't seen the show, or any show/movie for that matter, are giving their negative opinions about it having not seen it. There are a lot of posts here that start with "I haven't seen it, but blah blah blah." If you've seen it and didn't like it that's totally fine. Post your review and we all move on with life, and people make up their own minds about whether to see it or not. But if you saw it and didn't like it and post negative things in every single Frozen thread on this message board, that is trolling. And if someone hasn't seen it but is adding negative "reviews" that is trolling. I stand firm on the idea that a person has no opinion of a show if they have not seen the show. As for critic reviews, that's fine totally post them even if they are scathing. I'm just saying that people who wanted to see the show should not abandon it simply because critics didn't give it an amazing review. Critics are watching a show with a very different hat on than just an average audience member out for the night.

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#119FROZEN Reviews
Posted: 3/31/18 at 9:10am

I saw it last night. I must say it had its good and bad moments.

To respond to the anti-Disney sentiment, I have seen most of the Disney productions. Loved Lion King and Newsies. Didn’t care much for Aladdin.

I think my disappointment comes from the fact I expected so much more. I thought the staging could have been so much more. No castle. I believe Let it go could have been so much more with special effects.

As far as the story, if I hadn’t seen the movie, I would be so confused as to the story line. I thought the parents death was handled poorly.

What the hell happened to the Rock trolls? How did that get turned into a scary mountain tribe of glowing eyes? The trolls was cute, the tribe was weird and probably scary for kids.

Sven’s animation was astonishing, but he never said anything which made the movie so much better. It just seemed Sven was an after thought.

WTF was the sauna scene? I thought this was a kids show?

No castle!!

I also thought Olaf costume/animation could have been so much better. Thought it was cheaply done.

Special effects? There was really none other than lighting and other basic staging. It could have been so much more.

Overall this production looked like it was just slapped together to make people fork over $200 per ticket.

They deviated from the movie and ruined the story. Why mess with perfection? If they followed the movie, it would have been a great success. That’s what people want.

When Anna saves Elsa at the end, the staging was very poor. If I didn’t know the movie, I would have been confused at to what was going on. That scene could have been so much better with special effects. Cheaply done and lacked imagination.

They only change that I loved was the Let it Go reprise at the end.

While it seems I am trashing the show, it did have it’s moments. I am just disappointed as it could have been so much better.

Not to be confused with Dave19.
Updated On: 3/31/18 at 09:10 AM

VintageSnarker
#120FROZEN Reviews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 6:13pm

fashionguru_23 said: "Yes, this may be a more straight-forward take on the show, but I don't know how creative you can get with something like this. The Lion King, yes. You need to find a way to make animals and the African Savannah come to life. These are people, a snowman, and a reindeer. I think there could have been more creative ideas for the castle (hehe), etc. But I don't see how much more creative this can be.

I will say that after seeing a regional production of The Little Mermaid, I feel the weakest part of the show was the book. You can set it in space, with puppets operated by dogs, and the show will still play bad, because its just not written well for the stage.
"

You're forgetting the dumb trolls, but yeah. I think it's less about "creativity" than spectacle though I don't really like what I've heard of the new songs and the original songs have not aged as well as those of other Disney movie to stage adaptations which I can still happily listen to.

I rarely listen to the radio these days but I've heard the radio ad A TON. They're really pushing it.

broadwayboy223
#121FROZEN Reviews
Posted: 4/11/18 at 6:09pm

Alyssa was on today at the matinee. Anyone know if she's also doing tonights show? (i have tickets) 

LxGstv
#122FROZEN Reviews
Posted: 4/11/18 at 9:23pm

Intermission at the show right now and I believe there was a wardrobe malfunction during Let It Go?
The dress didn’t rip apart with the lights and she literally had to rip it off herself... it was awkward...

Updated On: 4/11/18 at 09:23 PM

mailhandler777
#123FROZEN Reviews
Posted: 4/11/18 at 10:19pm

My friend was at the matinee and said Alyssa had one also.

Edited to say Alyssa didn't have the same one. She still has the dress in Monster and her cape came loose and she was tripping on it.

Updated On: 4/11/18 at 10:19 PM

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#124FROZEN Reviews
Posted: 4/11/18 at 10:27pm

I was at the show tonight. I want to echo what LxGstv shared - there was a clear special effects/wardrobe malfunction and Cassie Levy had to rip the cloak off to reveal the dress. What happened? Also, what was supposed to happen?