pixeltracker

Has performing a number on the Tony telecast ever REALLY saved a struggling show?- Page 2

Has performing a number on the Tony telecast ever REALLY saved a struggling show?

bwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#26Has performing a number on the Tony telecast ever REALLY saved a struggling show?
Posted: 4/4/18 at 1:50pm

Thank you!

edit: oof.

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18
Updated On: 4/4/18 at 01:50 PM

R. GreenFinch Profile Photo
R. GreenFinch
#27Has performing a number on the Tony telecast ever REALLY saved a struggling show?
Posted: 4/4/18 at 2:02pm

Ha, I forgot about that. Gotta love NPL's joke, too. 

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#28Has performing a number on the Tony telecast ever REALLY saved a struggling show?
Posted: 4/4/18 at 4:09pm

Not the Tonys, but Wish You Were Here was famously "saved" in 1952 by an elaborate staging on the Ed Sullivan Show.   Of course, that was a simpler time long ago. 

bowtie7
#29Has performing a number on the Tony telecast ever REALLY saved a struggling show?
Posted: 4/4/18 at 7:02pm

Camelot is also regularly said to have received a major boast from the Ed Sullivan Show. Actually, I would think many shows were helped by the Ed Sullivan Show, which had a huge national prime-time audience.

green waver
#30Has performing a number on the Tony telecast ever REALLY saved a struggling show?
Posted: 4/4/18 at 11:09pm

Impeach2017 said: "Not the Tonys, butWish You Were Herewas famously "saved" in 1952 by an elaborate staging on the Ed Sullivan Show. Of course, that was a simpler time long ago."

Which perfectly segues into a related future thread- what musicals were given a huge boost by their inclusion in The Sullivan Show, which unlike the Tony telecasts was a ratings powerhouse for twenty years?

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#31Has performing a number on the Tony telecast ever REALLY saved a struggling show?
Posted: 4/4/18 at 11:16pm

I know that I have bought a ticket for a show based on a Tony performance. Examples: Fun Home and Waitress were shows I didn;t have much interest in before their Tony performances but bought tickets after seeing their Tony performances.

Waitress:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAN3qyHfKOo

Fun Home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMAuesRJm1E

KKeller6
#32Has performing a number on the Tony telecast ever REALLY saved a struggling show?
Posted: 4/4/18 at 11:46pm

Peter Pan with Cathy Rigby was going to close in '99 ( I think that was the year). The show was at the Gershwin as were the Tony's. So the flying rig was all set up. They did a number and she flew directly into the camera and the next day there was a huge line and the show finished out its run for the summer.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#33Has performing a number on the Tony telecast ever REALLY saved a struggling show?
Posted: 4/5/18 at 2:27am

Unless there have been direct studies showing the connection between the telecast and ticket sales, there is no way to know. I never heard of any production crediting the Tonys telecast and not the awards for recoupment, or saving their investment in any way. 

For the past two decades, all best musical Tony winners but one have recouped their investment. So, you can say it is the award itself that can pretty much guarantee its financial sucess, 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

binau Profile Photo
binau
#34Has performing a number on the Tony telecast ever REALLY saved a struggling show?
Posted: 4/5/18 at 2:32am

And before a skeptic claims that the kind of musicals that win the Tony Award for Best Musical tend to also be financially successful in the first place (which might be true), we have two perfect examples that almost show a cause and effect relationship of winning the award on ticket sales (Fun Home and Gentlemen's Guide). If I were a producer, I'd be doing everything I could to win that award. It does seem like it will make a show a guaranteed hit! (except Passion, apparently). 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#35Has performing a number on the Tony telecast ever REALLY saved a struggling show?
Posted: 4/5/18 at 2:34am

qolbinau said: "And before a skeptic claims that the kind of musicals that win the Tony Award for Best Musical tend to also be financially successful in the first place (which might be true), we have two perfect examples that almost show a cause and effect relationship of winning the award on ticket sales (Fun Home and Gentlemen's Guide). If I were a producer, I'd be doing everything I could to win that award. It does seem like it will make a show a guaranteed hit! (except Passion, apparently)."

Passion won in 1994. I think nowadays it's a safe bet to say that Best Musical Tony = Your Investor's Money Back 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE