CARRIE on RIVERDALE (4/18)

jmuep
#1CARRIE on RIVERDALE (4/18)
Posted: 4/17/18 at 2:32pm

For those who don't know, the CW series RIVERDALE is doing a musical episode this week (4/18) built around the musical CARRIE.  I saw this last month at the PaleyFestival in Los Angeles and am curious to others' reactions/thoughts.  

santeFEEE
#2CARRIE on RIVERDALE (4/18)
Posted: 4/17/18 at 3:53pm

I watched the videos of their covers and I wasn't expecting anything more. Their voices seem ok but not great, but it's a teen drama what else should I expect lol. The girl who plays veronicaa (camillai think?) had a great voice though not star quality but surprising

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#3CARRIE on RIVERDALE (4/18)
Posted: 4/17/18 at 5:37pm

I'm crazy excited about this episode.  I love the show and I've loved the musical since 1988.  I don't care about the quality of their voices as much as I do about watching this perfect storm of gothic melodrama, kitsch, Broadway and 80s pop.  Does anyone have a prom dress I can borrow?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

anthonyg2
#4CARRIE on RIVERDALE (4/18)
Posted: 4/17/18 at 8:08pm

I recently joined the Carrie fandom, so I was psyched when this was announced, but I was probably a little too excited because I just watched the videos and I'm pretty disappointed. I'll still watch the episode, but I hope no watchers get a solid opinion on the show from this episode cause that might not be the best. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#5CARRIE on RIVERDALE (4/18)
Posted: 4/18/18 at 9:15am

Was that the full ‘In’? Seems like a lot has been truncated.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

binau Profile Photo
binau
#6CARRIE on RIVERDALE (4/18)
Posted: 4/19/18 at 12:25pm

Wtf. On the soundtrack they don’t even have Eve Was Weak. Or When There’s No One. Or Boys Could Dance. Is this a joke? Tell me they are in the episode. This is just bizarre. What a mess.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

thebookofwhizzer Profile Photo
thebookofwhizzer
#7CARRIE on RIVERDALE (4/18)
Posted: 4/19/18 at 1:52pm

qolbinau said: "Wtf. On the soundtrack they don’t even have Eve Was Weak. Or When There’s No One. Or Boys Could Dance. Is this a joke? Tell me they are in the episode. This is just bizarre. What a mess. "

They are not in the episode. and THANK GOD! They butchered those songs enough, any more and it would have been too much. I have absolutely no idea what made them choose this, it’s awful.

“6 AM. The sky glows. Somewhere a bird chirps. I want to shoot it.” ~ Jonathan Larson, Tick...Tick..BOOM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#8CARRIE on RIVERDALE (4/18)
Posted: 4/19/18 at 4:52pm

Haven't seen the episode but did listen to the Broadway songs on the soundtrack and boy were those lyric changes distracting.  I did think "Do Me a Favor" faired well but those lyric changes in "In" definitely were distracting.  Sad to hear 97% of the Broadway score wasn't used.  

missthemountains Profile Photo
missthemountains
#9CARRIE on RIVERDALE (4/18)
Posted: 4/22/18 at 11:58pm

It was so cringey, but also some of them aren't terrible singers but so insanely autotuned. I thought it was absolutely ridiculous esp. cutting Margaret's songs, but enjoyable in a it's-so-bad-it's-good-way. I don't hate the revival, but there are certainly plenty of things to hate about it. I really enjoyed it live and having directed the revival version myself and a huge fan of the original I couldn't help think about one of my favorite underraged productions with actual young people at Stagedoor in 1999. I have this full video and have planned to upload it to the 'Tube. It's amateur but you could tell the director really knew what he was doing. It was super dark and creepy, especially with children, weirdly. At the very end after Carrie dies, the orchestra went haywire and you just heard kids laughing as Carrie's dead body, covered in blood, stayed lit. It was chilling! There's no way that would work with the new finale, which is terribly didactic. I know the chances are dismal outside of unauthorized productions, but I think Pitchford/Gore really should license the '88 version along side '12. Pun intended, they'd make a killing. Plenty of productions have original and revival versions out for license.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#10CARRIE on RIVERDALE (4/18)
Posted: 4/23/18 at 1:23am

This Riverdale episode makes the recent revival seem like Shakespeare. In hindsight I’m glad the Margaret songs were largely ignored because the actress can’t sing.

Evsever
#11CARRIE on RIVERDALE (4/18)
Posted: 4/23/18 at 9:22am

The 1970s costumes were a nice touch.  

Updated On: 4/23/18 at 09:22 AM

BroadwayStar4 Profile Photo
BroadwayStar4
#12CARRIE on RIVERDALE (4/18)
Posted: 4/23/18 at 9:26am

Casey Cott was obviously the best singer in this episode (even though he only sang for like a split second), and it would have been great to hear him sing "Dreamer in Disguise".

thebookofwhizzer Profile Photo
thebookofwhizzer
#13CARRIE on RIVERDALE (4/18)
Posted: 4/23/18 at 9:36am

BroadwayStar4 said: "Casey Cott was obviously the best singer in this episode (even though he only sang forlike a split second), and it would have been great to hear him sing "Dreamer in Disguise"."

I know right? His voice was wasted, I would have much preferred hearing him sing than Archie (KJ Apa)

“6 AM. The sky glows. Somewhere a bird chirps. I want to shoot it.” ~ Jonathan Larson, Tick...Tick..BOOM

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#14CARRIE on RIVERDALE (4/18)
Posted: 4/23/18 at 10:06am

I'm thrilled this episode happened but wish it had been better done. I'll be curious to see if this inspires more high school productions of Carrie next year.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

missthemountains Profile Photo
missthemountains
#15CARRIE on RIVERDALE (4/18)
Posted: 4/23/18 at 4:16pm

Evsever said: "The 1970s costumes were a nice touch."

I 100% agree. The book has specifically modern lingo at a few points but I really wish they'd give permission to put it back in the 70's. I just think overall, it feels right to keep it in the original era when it was written--it just works better what with Carrie not knowing her period, bullying IRL as opposed to online--it just feels like, pun intended, like it'll always be a period piece. But then again, I feel that way about most revivals that are modernized. 9/10 it doesn't work.

Updated On: 4/25/18 at 04:16 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#16CARRIE on RIVERDALE (4/18)
Posted: 4/23/18 at 4:36pm

MrsSallyAdams said: "I'm thrilled this episode happened but wish it had been better done. I'll be curious to see if this inspires more high school productions ofCarrienext year."

I honestly wondered whether this whole episode was just a marketing effort to get more amateur revenue through the door! The creatives need their retirement fund filled. 

broadwayboy223
#17CARRIE on RIVERDALE (4/18)
Posted: 4/23/18 at 4:53pm

Why anyone expected a show called Riverdale to put on a decent version of Carrie is beyond me

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#18CARRIE on RIVERDALE (4/18)
Posted: 4/23/18 at 5:41pm

Why anyone expected a show called Riverdale to put on a decent version of Carrie is beyond me

Who was expecting that?  I've been watching the show and the episode was more or less what I was expecting (especially the surprise ending).  I thought their selection of musical made up for the lack of performance and direction.  It was refreshing to see a hit show highlight a lesser-known property rather than trotting out the familiar shows most of middle-America already knows.  It was a fun episode and I enjoyed hearing the snippets of those tunes again.  In, Do Me a Favor, The World According to Chris and A Night You'll Never Forget came off the best.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian