theatretenor2 Profile Photo
theatretenor2
theatretenor2
RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#78MY FAIR LADY (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/19/18 at 10:09pm

I'd say it's likely a The Band's Visit / My Fair Lady year. 

theatretenor2
ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#80MY FAIR LADY (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/19/18 at 10:10pm

I'm impressed that the Brit publications are loving it.

theatretenor2
SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#82MY FAIR LADY (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/19/18 at 10:13pm

At the end of the day it is only the NY Times review that matters.....so bravo!

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#83MY FAIR LADY (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/19/18 at 10:14pm

Green’s review is PERFECTION.

Thrilled for this production. Deserves each and every rave and accolade.

theatretenor2
#84MY FAIR LADY (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/19/18 at 10:14pm

Broadway News is positive.

https://broadway.news/2018/04/19/review-fair-lady-beautifully-polished-antique/

Updated On: 4/19/18 at 10:14 PM

theatretenor2
#85MY FAIR LADY (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/19/18 at 10:17pm

TheaterMania is a rave.

"Lincoln Center Theater's My Fair Lady, starring Lauren Ambrose and Harry Hadden-Paton at the Vivian Beaumont Theatre, is their crowning achievement."

https://www.theatermania.com/broadway/reviews/my-fair-lady_84848.html

theatretenor2
#86MY FAIR LADY (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/19/18 at 10:18pm

SmoothLover said: "At the end of the day it is only the NY Times review that matters.....so bravo!"

So true.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#87MY FAIR LADY (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/19/18 at 10:21pm

TheaterMania's quote gives me a big bucket of joy:

"This My Fair Lady is a revival for the ages, the perfect synthesis of director's vision and performers and designers working completely in sync. I could have watched it all night and still have begged for more."

theatretenor2
#88MY FAIR LADY (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/19/18 at 10:23pm

Musical Master said: "TheaterMania's quote givesme a big bucket ofjoy:

"ThisMy Fair Ladyis a revival for the ages, the perfect synthesis of director's vision and performers and designers working completely in sync. I could have watched it all night and still have begged for more."
"

PERFECTION

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#89MY FAIR LADY (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/19/18 at 10:26pm

I am seriously in love with the slew of reviews since the NY Times one was posted. They are all mostly saying the same thing and MOST of them are finally singling out HHP's performance and giving it the credit it richly deserves. 

I was hoping but am absolutely astonished with the reviews Ambrose as received generally. They have really been waxing poetic about her. It seems like Sher made the right call there. If we just go by reviews, I do not doubt that Ambrose can be considered a strong contender to spoil Lenk's frontrunner status for the Tony.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#90MY FAIR LADY (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/19/18 at 10:28pm

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "I am seriously in love with the slew of reviews since the NY Times one was posted. They are all mostly saying the same thing and MOST of them are finally singling out HHP's performance and giving it the credit it richly deserves.

I was hoping but am absolutely astonished with the reviews Ambrose as received generally. They have really been waxing poetic about her. It seems like Sher made the right call there. If we just go by reviews, I do not doubt that Ambrose can be considered a strong contender to spoil Lenk's frontrunner status for the Tony.
"

True so true...Ambrose vs. Lenk!

MY FAIR LADY (2018) Reviews

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

BroadwayConcierge
#91MY FAIR LADY (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/19/18 at 10:28pm

Some of my favorite selections from Green's piece:

"She sculpts herself, with Higgins as her tool."

"At every turn the designers ask us to consider the economic contrasts that govern Eliza’s world. Higgins’s home is a sybarite’s mansion, crowded with servants and modern art. The scene in which Eliza practices her shaky new identity at the opening day of the Ascot races — one of the greatest comic sequences in all musicals — is a gorgeous study of silver and lavender in elegant, forbidding silhouettes."

Calling the ending a "marvelous, redemptive resolution."

And his most astute observation:

"The big revelation of this production is that Ms. Ambrose has a stirring voice: lustrous and rich if without the bright ping of most Elizas. That turns out to be an advantage. She delivers her first number — “Wouldn’t It Be Loverly?” — very quietly and with an intense longing that digs beneath its surface charm to find its stillness and steel. This sets “My Fair Lady” off in a new direction. The question quickly becomes not whether Eliza will succeed — of course she will — but whether Higgins can accept her success. Will he join her in it, or get out of the way?"

PERFECT. Also thrilled that he gave Donica a rave.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#92MY FAIR LADY (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/19/18 at 10:29pm

Ambrose won’t spoil Lenk. I don’t see it happening. BANDS VISIT is on track to win at least 5 Tony’s including musical. Ambrose may win the Drama Desk where Lenk isn’t eligible but I’d be shocked if she could upset when Bands Visit is going to dominate the evening.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#93MY FAIR LADY (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/19/18 at 10:32pm

QueenAlice said: "Ambrose won’t spoil Lenk. I don’t see it happening. BANDS VISIT is on track to win at least 5 Tony’s including musical. Ambrose may win the Drama Desk where Lenk isn’t eligible but I’d be shocked if she could upset when Bands Visit is going to dominate the evening."

Maybe, maybe not. None of us have control over it, so it'll just be fun to try to guess what may happen. Most people are off-base in awards predictions until precursors come a spoil the suspense. Luckily for us, the Tonys don't have any precursors that have the amount of overlap that the Oscars do so it'll still be fun to see what happens.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#94MY FAIR LADY (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/19/18 at 10:37pm

Well this is going to be a year where the front runner (Bands Visit) isn’t eligible for the precursor theatre awards because it was elfble last year. It will be a nice way to spread some awards to other deserving candidates but I think Bands Visit will walk away with most of the major wins on Tony night.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#95MY FAIR LADY (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/19/18 at 10:39pm

I mean MFL and OotI is not eligible for Best Score or Best Book, and Band's Visit is sweeping at least 3 awards because its going to win by default considering it's competition. So I do think it'll be an exciting night. I mean if it was that unstoppable, it would have won more last year like Hamilton did when it was off-Broadway. 

Updated On: 4/19/18 at 10:39 PM

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#96MY FAIR LADY (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/19/18 at 10:47pm

TalkinBroadway is a RAVE.

https://www.talkinbroadway.com/page/world/MyFairLady2018.html

Updated On: 4/20/18 at 10:47 PM

SFFrontRow
#97MY FAIR LADY (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/19/18 at 10:47pm

I got a Loge ticket in right center on the aisle a few nights ago - but the available seats were minimal and all on extreme sides of loge. I think a lot of people were waiting for reviews and now the feeding frenzy will begin. Since this is a subscription house, I think there was already built in sales, and limited availability to begin with in the start of the run.

I do have a question, I got a Wednesday matinee ticket (Wednesday before the Tony Awards). Does anyone know if Lauren Ambrose (who I really thought would be good) is playing all performances. I have not seen any schedule of time off, except for a weekend for Harry Hadden-Paton later in June. I would be gutted if Ambrose is not playing matinees.

BroadwayConcierge
#98MY FAIR LADY (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/19/18 at 10:49pm

SFFrontRow said: "I do have a question, I got a Wednesday matinee ticket (Wednesday before the Tony Awards). Does anyone know if Lauren Ambrose (who I really thought would be good) is playing all performances. I have not seen any schedule of time off, except for a weekend for Harry Hadden-Paton later in June. I would be gutted if Ambrose is not playing matinees."

Ambrose has not missed a performance yet, and does not have a scheduled alternate. You should be good to go (of course, barring injury or illness).

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#99MY FAIR LADY (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/19/18 at 10:54pm

NYT's decision to hire Jesse Green is the best one establishment MSM ever made.