pixeltracker

HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17- Page 19

HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#450HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 8/7/18 at 10:46pm

I made one last trip to Harmonia Gardens tonight to say farewell to this truly glorious revival before it closes in a couple weeks. This was my seventh time seeing the show. I had seen each Bette Midler, Donna Murphy, and Bernadette Peters twice in the role before. Bette was my favorite out of the Dolly trifecta, so when they announced her return and the closing, I knew I had to see her, and show, one last time.

Bette, and the show, are still fantastic beyond belief. The supporting cast is excellent, and it has been so fun to watch Gavin Creel and Kate Baldwin get better and better each time since I saw the show in its first weekend of previews. The chemistry between Bette and David Hyde Pierce is unlike that I have seen between two leads before. They really feed off of each other, and you can tell they are having a complete blast up on that stage. The copious amounts of energy, warmth, and comedy that Bette brings to the stage is truly something else. Her performance will forever be engrained in my memory.

Also, for those wanting to see this one last time without breaking the bank on the limited remaining expensive seats, I went to the box office at 2PM today and got standing room for $47 without a problem. The view is actually REALLY good. You only miss maybe 20 seconds of action. Great deal for a great view!

I will definitely miss this show a lot, but I’m very grateful for the times I got to see it, and that I got to see three different takes on this iconic role from three very talented women!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

WaffleOnWheels
#451HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 8/9/18 at 3:24pm

Just thought I'd drop this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8iz7TXTXaE

Around 45 seconds there's some really cool footage of what looks like Bette's entrance on her first night back.

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#452HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 8/16/18 at 10:21am

To echo another poster on the Getting Together on the Last Show thread, I just checked Stub Hub too for the last show and there are tons of tickets available anywhere from about $105 way up to over $1000. Guess that's why Telecharge has so little left. FYI!

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#453HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 8/16/18 at 10:41am

Ethel.. will we be saying hi to each other on the last show?

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#454HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 8/16/18 at 2:31pm

Very excited to be seeing the matinee show this Saturday. Heading up to Pittsburgh tomorrow afternoon for an overnight stay, since my flight leaves out at 5:45am. With any luck and good timing I’ll be back in Times Square (or a sweets shop) by 9am. Thanks again for all the tips on the pastry shops thread. So many choices, so little time.

Had a little rib injury this past weekend and it hurts every time I breathe, cough, and laugh. As for the laughing part, I think I’m in a lot of trouble seeing this show again. HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17

Looking forward to comparing Bette and Bernadette’s role as Dolly. Absolutely LOVED Bernadette.

Zamedy154
#455HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 8/16/18 at 3:45pm

Be prepared. Bette is Bette playing Dolly. And it's absolutely divine. I never had the fortune of seeing Bernadette, but most people have said she 'became Dolly more than Bette.' I've seen Bette three times now and in no way was the joy of this show or my experience as a whole lessened because I didn't feel I was transported to Yonkers, New York in 1890. She takes you there. It's just hard to get over the awe of seeing her on stage. 

Enjoy the show! I can't believe it all comes to an end in 10 days. 

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#456HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 8/16/18 at 4:25pm

Zamedy154 said: "Be prepared. Bette is Bette playing Dolly. And it's absolutely divine. I never had the fortune of seeing Bernadette, but most people have said she 'became Dolly more than Bette.' I've seen Bette three times now and in no way was the joy of this show or my experience as a whole lessened because I didn't feel I was transported to Yonkers, New York in 1890. She takes you there. It's just hard to get over the awe of seeing her on stage.

Enjoy the show! I can't believe it all comes to an end in 10 days.
"

I had heard that about Bette. But if it’s any where close to Bernadette’s performance it will be divine. I departed the show after seeing it at the end of May with such joy in my heart. So very sad it has to come to an end on Broadway, but I’ll be seeing the tour twice - in October and next August - so, as they say, the show must go on.  

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#457HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 8/16/18 at 4:38pm

You’ll have a great, great time! I was lucky enough to see both Bette and Bernadette and, while their takes on the role are unique, both are great. Bernadette’s take was more emotional while Bette’s was more hilarious as I’m sure you’ve heard. Both filled me with joy. Wish I could have seen Donna, but oh well! Alas, I won’t be able to make another trip to Dolly’s Yonkers (unless it tours near me). I’ll just have to take some small solace in the ticket I purchased today to see Wicked in Tulsa on September 6th.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#458HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 8/16/18 at 4:47pm

I went back on Sunday to see Donna one more time as Dolly.  I absolutely adored her performance.  The audience definitely gave her quite the reception. I will miss this production.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#459HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 8/16/18 at 4:53pm

Miles2Go2 said: "You’ll have a great, great time! I was lucky enough to see both Bette and Bernadette and, while their takes on the role are unique, both are great. Bernadette’s take was more emotional while Bette’s was more hilarious as I’m sure you’ve heard. Both filled me with joy. Wish I could have seen Donna, but oh well! Alas, I won’t be able to make another trip to Dolly’s Yonkers (unless it tours near me). I’ll just have to take some small solace in the ticket I purchased today to see Wicked in Tulsa on September 6th."

It would be wonderful if somehow Donna Murphy could be convinced to take over the tour next fall. I’m not sure how long contracts usually run, but I can’t see Betty Buckley doing this for years and years. 

As for “WICKED”, it still rates as one of the very best shows I’ve ever seen, even more so than “Hamilton”, which was amazing and unique in itself. I have enjoyed all of my shows, it’s just that “WICKED” stands out overall. 

Updated On: 8/16/18 at 04:53 PM

Dollypop
#460HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 8/16/18 at 5:02pm

A friend of mine is recovering from breat cancer surgery and I'm taking her to Sunday's matinee. She's never seen the show before.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#461HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 8/16/18 at 5:17pm

dmwnc1959 said: "Miles2Go2 said: "You’ll have a great, great time! I was lucky enough to see both Bette and Bernadette and, while their takes on the role are unique, both are great. Bernadette’s take was more emotional while Bette’s was more hilarious as I’m sure you’ve heard. Both filled me with joy. Wish I could have seen Donna, but oh well! Alas, I won’t be able to make another trip to Dolly’s Yonkers (unless it tours near me). I’ll just have to take some small solace in the ticket I purchased today to see Wicked in Tulsa on September 6th."

It would be wonderful if somehow Donna Murphy could be convinced to take over the tour next fall. I’m not sure how long contracts usually run, but I can’t see Betty Buckley doing this for years and years.

As for “WICKED”, it still rates as one of the very best shows I’ve ever seen, even more so than “Hamilton”, which was amazing andunique in itself.I have enjoyed all of myshows, it’s just that “WICKED” stands out overall.
"

Wicked is one of my favorites, too. It’s the only show I’ve seen twice when it came through on tour. I loved it so much after I saw it the first time, I convinced my boss (and best friend) to return with me before it left town. It’s still one of my favorite shows ever, including one of the best I’ve ever seen on tour. I’d still rank Hamilton as my number one show, but at some point when shows are this great, rank ordering them is beside the point. Looking forward to returning to Oz! In addition to seeing so many productions in New York in June, I’ve been lucky here and across the country (thanks to work travel) to catch more touring/sat-down/regional productions (Rent, Avenue Q, Book of Morman, HamiltonWicked) this year. In fact, I’ve never seen this many touring/sat-down/regional in the space of one year. It’s a great way to revisit shows I’m fond of. Life is good! 

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#462HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 8/16/18 at 5:25pm

Miles2Go2 said: "Life is good!"

Couldn't agree more! And I too have a personal record in the number of shows booked in a twelve month period - 15 of them between now and next August, albeit “Hello, Dolly!” accounts for three of them, a repeat of “Hamilton”, but with the Angelica cast, and “Phantom of the Opera” which I saw last November. And I actually just received my Broadway in Pittsburgh Season Tickets in the mail today. Very excited!

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#463HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 8/18/18 at 1:10pm

In line now for the show. Very long lines already! Lots of excitement in Shubert Alley when Bette Midler came out of her car about 20 minutes ago. Excited for the show!!!!

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#466HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 8/18/18 at 5:59pm

This show...is absolutely...GLORIOUS!!!

Bette Midler, even with some describing it as Bette playing Bette playing Dolly, was simply amazing. She had the audience eating out of her hand. So glad I got to see her. And the entire cast...INCREDIBLE! Loved them all, from David Hyde Pierce on down. Departed again with a smile ear to ear. 

I did buy the magnetized ticket holder which was on sale for $10 if you bought something else, so I grabbed a key chain.

And after the show, I couldn’t find an available taxi to save my life (the pedi-cabs wanted $6.99 a minute). So, I rode the #1 subway line up to Lincoln Center and the Empire Hotel. The wonderful lady at the front desk upgraded my room to a Lincoln Center view Junior Suite. I can see the fountain from my room! It’s gorgeous.

Off to see the view from the rooftop bar and lounge, then something to eat before heading across to “My Fair Lady”.

This day just can’t get any better!

Updated On: 8/19/18 at 05:59 PM

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#467HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 8/18/18 at 6:04pm

So happy for you! Hello, Dolly! with Bette and a complimentary room upgrade. I so do love both! Plus pastries and lobster roll and lobster tail! Where you eating tonight?

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#468HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 8/18/18 at 6:22pm

^ ^ ^ Nothing fancy for dinner, just some quick from Épicerie Boulud across the street.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#469HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 8/18/18 at 6:38pm

Awesome. Are you going to stage door after? I will say it was one of the smallest stage doors (less than 10 people) and its not outside. An usher can tell you where after the show.

Also, it sounds like you can have a great post-theatre treat at the hotel bar/restaurant, but if you want to do something else, The Smith is very close. I really loved it.

HelloDanny Profile Photo
HelloDanny
#470HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 8/18/18 at 7:00pm

HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17

Excited for all of you attending the final performance. I loved the footage of Bette's return. Looking forward to more. I had the pleasure of seeing Bette, Bernadette and Carol on many occasions. Sad this production must end. 

LxGstv
#471HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 8/18/18 at 7:19pm

Saw the show last night again, my second time seeing it with Bette and she was on fire! The first time I saw her vocals weren’t that great, but last night... phenomenal, beyond amazing!!

There were at least 4 ad libs that I remember, including one that was posted on this thread earlier, so I guess it’s not really an ad lib then?

Anyway, during the part she’s finishing her meal and they are all waiting in court even David Hyde Pierce cracked up at times... when the court room scene finally started they all lost it... everyone on stage was laughing, it was hysterical!

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#472HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 8/18/18 at 7:41pm

In the Vivian Beaumont now. No stage-dooring after, been up since 1am.

Yes, there were a few ad libs in the show. They cracked the audience up quite a bit!

Updated On: 8/19/18 at 07:41 PM

LxGstv
#473HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 8/18/18 at 7:50pm

dmwnc1959 said: "In the Vivian Beaumont now. No stage-dooring after, been up since 1am.

Yes, there were a few as libs in the show. They cracked the audience up quite a bit!
"

Did the actors start laughing too? Last night they couldn’t hold it... almost everyone on stage was cracking up during the court room scene!

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#474HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 8/18/18 at 7:53pm

LxGstv said: "Did the actors start laughingtoo? Last night they couldn’t hold it... almost everyone on stage was cracking up during the court room scene!"

Yes, quite a few times. It’s always hilarious, even though it takes the character out of “character”. But who cares! It’s fabulous fun!!!