Is Dreamgirls dead?

JSquared2
#50Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 5/3/19 at 12:06pm

After seeing Alex Newell sing "Hold Me In You Heart" from KINKY BOOTS at the Carnegie Hall NY Pops Celebration for Cyndi Lauper this week, Alex would make a GREAT Effie!  He brought down the house with his number.

silent
#51Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 7/26/19 at 6:23pm

I can’t believe it’s been over 30 years since the revival was last on Broadway.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#52Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 7/26/19 at 10:39pm

This will only do well with the original staging. The last tour was terrible. There was a regional production in New Jersey a few years ago that did the original staging and it was a great production outside of their Effie.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

silent
#53Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 12/12/19 at 2:28am

Any updates on the revival?

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#54Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 12/12/19 at 8:07am

It's announced a UK tour.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

aliceripleyofficial Profile Photo
aliceripleyofficial
#55Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 12/12/19 at 6:55pm

We have a better chance of seeing Ivo's Dreamgirls than this production

duffny1
#56Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 12/13/19 at 9:42am

Bibby87 said: "Seeing it again tonight in the West End with Marisha - Marisha needs to come over and be Amber's standby she is just soo incredible"

I agree Bibby87. I was a little excited to see this when I was in London on May 2, 2017 and being a little pissed that Amber wasn't going to perform. After watching Marisha Wallace perform, I can't imagine anyone doing it better. I am old and saw Jennifer Holiday a week after she won the Tony. Without a doubt she is on par with Jennifer (I think slightly better --if that's possible). If Marisha is traveling to NYC to do this production I am confident NYC audiences will be blown away. You HAVE to see her!!! 

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#57Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 12/13/19 at 7:01pm

duffny1 said: "Bibby87 said: "Seeing it again tonight in the West End with Marisha - Marisha needs to come over and be Amber's standby she is just soo incredible"

I agree Bibby87. I was a little excited to see this when I was in London on May 2, 2017 and being alittle pissed that Amber wasn't going to perform. After watching Marisha Wallaceperform, I can't imagine anyone doing it better. I am old and saw Jennifer Holiday a week after she won the Tony. Without a doubt she is on par with Jennifer (I think slightly better --if that's possible). If Marisha is traveling to NYC to do this production I am confident NYC audiences will be blown away. You HAVE to see her!!!
"

I saw Marisha Wallace too the first time and she was amazing and I thought the same thing. Then I saw amber and I was like omg she’s so much better. I went back two times hoping to see amber and she was out both times, and in London they won’t exchange the ticket. I ended up seeing all 4 Effie’s so that was cool. 

QueenTwinnied
#58Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 12/13/19 at 8:08pm

I saw Moya Angela in London and thought she was stunning. One of the most powerful performances I've ever seen

SeanMartin2
#59Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 12/14/19 at 5:02pm

Saw the original and have seen clips from the London revival — frankly, they're not bringing anything new to the show: it looks, compared to the original, almost low-rent. I have no doubt they'll bring it to Broadway, but whether or not it'll succeed... they'd better up their game somehow. Otherwise, it's just another FOLLIES revival that'll pale next to the original.

itsjustmejonhotmailcom Profile Photo
itsjustmejonhotmailcom
#60Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 12/14/19 at 6:35pm

There's a producer out there pitching a different version that they are hoping to bring to Broadway. Apparently, if the London version doesn't transfer in the 20/21 season, their option to bring it to Broadway expires. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#61Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 12/15/19 at 3:35pm

Wonder what the hold up would be? Casting? Because we know Casey has enough backers to push this to Broadway. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#62Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 12/15/19 at 6:54pm

Lack of a theater? Maybe Amber Riley isn't available for some stretches in 2020? They're looking for another name?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Emmaloucbway
#63Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 12/15/19 at 7:19pm

Someone posted a while back that this production was eyeing the Marquis, is this not the case anymore? Or just a rumor?