pixeltracker

Jesus Christ Superstar: Chicago Lyric Opera

Jesus Christ Superstar: Chicago Lyric Opera

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#1Jesus Christ Superstar: Chicago Lyric Opera
Posted: 5/6/18 at 8:23pm

Juts saw the Chicago Lyric transfer of the Olivier-winning revival of Jesus Christ Superstar today.  In 30 years of seeing numerous productions and tours, THIS is the one that should be on Broadway.  It is breathtaking.  The costumes and staging are modern, but without being over-conceptualized with heavy-handed political and literal references.  A multi-level unit set that is immediately interesting, but the staging, direction and choreography are brilliant and effective enough not to demand a gimmicky overblown design.  The lighting is perfection and every member of this mammoth cast gives 100% dedication for the entire show, which is bursting with energy and stunning choreography.  I loved the vocals from all the leads.  No weak links.  They do use hand-held mics, which never felt intrusive, and at times, were brilliantly incorporated into the props and choreography for some characters.  There were a few moments of uneven sound mixing from the mics, which isn't uncommon for any show using hand-held mics, but for me, it was a minor quibble.  Though this production originated at an outdoor thrust stage, its premiere for the proscenium worked beautifully.  I know they've announced a tour staring Fall of 2019, but  do hope it gets a shot at Broadway because this one truly deserves it and personally, I feel it is a Tony-worthy production. 

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 5/10/18 at 08:23 PM

Sho-Tunes-R-Us Profile Photo
Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#2Jesus Christ Superstar: Chicago Lyric Opera
Posted: 5/7/18 at 2:09am

Thank you for this. I am eagerly awaiting the towns/dates for the tour to be announced. Hope that San Francisco is on the list.

Mister Matt
#3Jesus Christ Superstar: Chicago Lyric Opera
Posted: 5/7/18 at 9:58am

I'm going to try and see it again before this run ends.  I want this burned into my brain and I don't want to wait over a year (at least) to see it again.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#4Jesus Christ Superstar: Chicago Lyric Opera
Posted: 5/9/18 at 12:14pm

Does the lyric opera offer a rush of some kind?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

AEA AGMA SM
#5Jesus Christ Superstar: Chicago Lyric Opera
Posted: 5/9/18 at 6:36pm

I know I've gotten student tickets in the past. I think I paid around $30 for Tales of Hoffman (back in 2011). The seats were pretty high up, but the acoustics were great.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#6Jesus Christ Superstar: Chicago Lyric Opera
Posted: 5/9/18 at 7:06pm

Wait, is this the production that’s touring? I thought the tour was completely independent of this production.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#7Jesus Christ Superstar: Chicago Lyric Opera
Posted: 5/9/18 at 7:30pm

It may not necessarily have the same cast or orchestra, but it will be essentially the same production, based on the Regent's Park staging from 2016/17. The tour website listing the same creative team is a big clue.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky
Updated On: 5/9/18 at 07:30 PM

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#8Jesus Christ Superstar: Chicago Lyric Opera
Posted: 5/9/18 at 7:32pm

There are tickets available at Hottix.

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#9Jesus Christ Superstar: Chicago Lyric Opera
Posted: 5/10/18 at 9:40am

Use code SPRING for 25% off Friday thru Sunday; 50% off weekdays.

g.d.e.l.g.i.
#10Jesus Christ Superstar: Chicago Lyric Opera
Posted: 5/11/18 at 11:26am

My two cents:

* It's got that slick polish that Webber needlessly sticks on most revivals of this show -- clean, more "pop"-sounding than "rock," kind of like most new-wave JCS in that respect.

* The orchestra has a very full sound because, for once, it is a very full orchestra (only an opera house has the kind of funding to pull that off).

* Singing-wise, this blows the NBC special out of the damn water. I like that they cast performers who can actually sing the score and aren't afraid to riff if they feel like it. Heath Saunders in particular turns in an excellent performance as Jesus, all in all; he brings an interesting swagger and refreshing R&B vibe to the role, while not skimping on the rock screams. Not afraid to really loosen the hinges on the ad-libbing, too. Ryan Shaw as Judas is a little low-energy in his movement and demeanor, but the voice more than makes up for it. Absolutely unreal. Sings the score with ease, and adds some unique and exciting flare in a way other performers in recent productions didn't. Mykal Kilgore's interpretation of Simon was also a surprising stand-out; the show is already worth seeing twice, but he would be the reason I buy another ticket. It took me a long time to return my full attention to the show after his number. I wasn't surprised to hear that he had played Judas in the recent all-black production in Aurora; if he takes over the role on tour, Carl Anderson (may he rest) and Ben Vereen have finally met their damn match.

* "King Herod's Song," though... what in blue hell was that? I was scared. I was confused. It felt like a fever dream; I can honestly say I've never seen that onstage before. If I had to pinpoint one thing to fix before this hits the road, it would be to redo the costuming and portrayal of that character entirely. It is jarringly out of place.

* As for the staging and design... meh. I liked some artistic decisions they made, but nothing to write home about. I just... didn't really feel anything. A lot of newer productions of JCS suffer from this; I think they're so shallow and glitzy that at times the show itself has ceased to mean anything. It's pretty much what Judas warns against in the story - style and personality devouring substance. I'm open to new interpretations, but this is a Disney-fied, stripped down version of the show. It will never be the offensive, boundary-pushing thing it was because the times are different, but it should be more imaginative than this. This is like Wicked-levels of empty spectacle. (And that's not just JCS, it's a general problem; lately people have too often conflated density of spectacle with quality. This is across the board, from Hollywood to Broadway.) As Mr. Rogers once said, "Deep and simple is far more essential than shallow and complex." A "less is more" JCS is not particularly innovative, but that's still what I would really like to see in the future.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky
Updated On: 5/11/18 at 11:26 AM

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#11Jesus Christ Superstar: Chicago Lyric Opera
Posted: 5/11/18 at 1:23pm

Interesting that Heath Saunders is Jesus; perhaps he's more of a chameleon than I thought. I saw the show he and his family created at NYMF 2016, and Saunders was uncannily reminiscent of a younger, multiethnic Anthony Rapp.

I'll never forget the first time I encountered him: I was on the phone with my friends during a NYMF in the Park promo event, and he was singing one of his ballads during soundcheck. My friend immediately said "Is that Anthony Rapp? Is he in your show?" I ran to check, and it was Heath. And now he's a swaggering R&B Jesus... dude's got range.

wssinsider
#12Jesus Christ Superstar: Chicago Lyric Opera
Posted: 5/11/18 at 1:44pm

Sadly the tour going out will be Non Equity

Mister Matt
#13Jesus Christ Superstar: Chicago Lyric Opera
Posted: 5/11/18 at 3:35pm

* It's got that slick polish that Webber needlessly sticks on most revivals of this show -- clean, more "pop"-sounding than "rock," kind of like most new-wave JCS in that respect.

I didn't feel that way at all.  In fact, musically, it most closely resembled the original concept album (which was not always "rock" sounding, either) than any other production I've seen.  Was Webber directly involved in this production?  The 90s tour that went around for years was painfully overamplified and the leads either screamed or croak-spoke, but it wasn't any more "rock" in its orchestrations.  

* "King Herod's Song," though... what in blue hell was that? I was scared. I was confused. It felt like a fever dream; I can honestly say I've never seen that onstage before.

Oh, King Herod from that 90s tour was WAY WAY WAY worse.  I absolutely LOVED this one and thought it was positively spot on.  The breathtaking costume during his entrance appears to be a nod to the golden eagle he had built at the entrance to the Temple (a symbol of his self-interest in Rome over that of the Jews).  Herod represented the opulent and psychotic tyranny of the Roman rulers while proclaiming himself as the "King of the Jews", so I loved the change from the subdued regal formality to infantile rant.  Brilliant.  

* As for the staging and design... meh. I liked some artistic decisions they made, but nothing to write home about. I just... didn't really feel anything. A lot of newer productions of JCS suffer from this; I think they're so shallow and glitzy that at times the show itself has ceased to mean anything.

Again, I feel totally opposite.  This was the most emotionally resonant and satisfying production I've encountered.  Almost overwhelmingly so at times.  I didn't find this shallow and it only had "glitz" when the story called for it, which was mostly the Temple scene and King Herod's song.  The Pharisees had special lighting and choreography for their songs as a symbolically BRILLIANT artistic choice that was less about "glitz" and more about "celebrity".

It's pretty much what Judas warns against in the story - style and personality devouring substance.

Judas warns Jesus of garnering too much attention based on his opinion of what he's seeing.  All the while ignoring the fact that everything HAS to happen the way it is because it is predestined and Jesus knows this.  Judas wants Jesus to lie low and back off.  Judas then mockingly questions Jesus (in what is actually the fever-dream of the show) about whether his choices were based on faith or ego.  

I'm open to new interpretations, but this is a Disney-fied, stripped down version of the show. It will never be the offensive, boundary-pushing thing it was because the times are different, but it should be more imaginative than this.

More imaginative in what way?  It sounds like you refer to it as being too too polished, but also stripped-down?  Based on the numerous productions I've seen, both professional and amateur, this struck the perfect balance of respecting the score and original concept and being modern with only hints of period (unlike the 96 London revival), without getting heavy-headed with literal political references (the 2001 revival), desperate attempts to be currently relevant (2012 revival), spectacle for the sake of spectacle (UK arena tour) or just being completely grotesque and tacky as an overarching concept and no other thought (90s tour).  It will still be offensive to the highly conservative and closed-minded, but I thought this production really focused on the intent of the original concept of a modern retelling of the story from a more relatable human point of view.  I guess I don't understand what it is you want to see.

Oh, and can we talk about Jo Lampert as Mary Magdalene?  Everything from her look to her voice was perfection.  The most powerful and emotional rendition of I Don't Know How to Love Him I've seen since Yvonne Elliman in the film (I prefer to forget about her meandering Tony performance).

Sadly the tour going out will be Non Equity

I've seen some surprisingly good non-Equity tours, but I do find this news disheartening.  Sounds like there's no plans for Broadway, which is really stupid.

Updated On: 5/11/18 at 03:35 PM

g.d.e.l.g.i.
#14Jesus Christ Superstar: Chicago Lyric Opera
Posted: 5/11/18 at 6:19pm

I thought Work Light did both Equity and non-Equity.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

g.d.e.l.g.i.
#15Jesus Christ Superstar: Chicago Lyric Opera
Posted: 5/11/18 at 7:44pm

Mister Matt, I'm responding to your point separately. Left my tab open too long in Chrome, and when I went back, it refreshed, so I lost a lengthy reply. Watch this space!

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

g.d.e.l.g.i.
#16Jesus Christ Superstar: Chicago Lyric Opera
Posted: 5/13/18 at 10:02am

Okay, finally getting back to this. I really wish the old draft had stayed in existence, because I feel like it explained it so much better than I'm about to. (I hate being a perfectionist who labors over his words, gets them right, and then realizes too late that "tab discarding" occurred; if Chrome does this to you, too, folks, and you think it sucks, here's how to turn it off [first answer at the link, starts with "The OP is right"].)

* The sound of the score: your response seems to indicate you're paying attention to the orchestra, not the vocals. I'm referring primarily to the vocal sound, which is rather "clean" for my taste, bordering on "plastic." They hit the notes, they do some impressive acrobatics, but it doesn't sound all that rock. The older versions have... I dunno what to call it... depth? Texture? Grit? "Dirt"? Whatever you call it, it's a rawer, more "authentic" sound, if you will, than the contemporary theater pop that we get in most of Webber's productions of JCS. (Whenever he's in charge, he tends to pick someone who sounds more like Steve Balsamo than, say, Ian Gillan or Ted Neeley.) Taste is subjective, but in my opinion, I'd rather hear a more rock-influenced sound in the vocals. As I said elsewhere on this board criticizing the NBC special, die-hard JCS fans, especially in America, want their Jesus and Judas to be willing to cough up a lung for them in the course of the show. I didn't get that sound here; a little too "effortless," for lack of a better word. (Except for Jo Lampert, who really delivered on the sound, and at times reminded me of the best days of Janis Joplin; I admit I actually wasn't that big a fan of her look, it felt a little "trying too hard to make Mary edgy" like Mel C's dreadlocks in the 2012 arena tour, but it didn't detract from her performance.)

Re: the Nineties tour you refer to twice: yes, it was painfully over-amplified, especially in the non-union portion, and some people admittedly croaked their way through more tender moments, but the screaming was spot on, going back to the Brown Album. That's the way it's supposed to sound. You're supposed to think that any minute this performer is gonna make rocks crawl out of their throat. That's where the passion, thrill, and excitement of this score comes from.

Herod: I sympathize with the notion that either "leather and ass-less chaps" Herod or "Elvis" Herod, depending on when you caught that tour, was not particularly inventive. The former in particular irks me; a lot of productions cop out on how best to portray this comic relief role by inexplicably making Herod gay, when part of Herod's reputation of decadence in the Bible comes from the fact that he stole his sister-in-law from his brother and then openly lusted after her teenage daughter. Just because it's got a vaguely vaudeville / music-hall sound, doesn't mean the best route is to send him out there with rouge, mascara, painted nails, and platform heels, as Tom O'Horgan did in the original, setting the standard for decades of missing the boat. (Funny I bring up O'Horgan; Herod's costume in this one kind of reminds me of what photos I've seen of the glittery "chrysalis" number Jeff Fenholt wore in O'Horgan's "Superstar" sequence.)  And I also agree, reading between the lines (hopefully correctly), that Herod's number should not be just comic relief; there needs to be some scary, dangerous, and disturbing about it, or "Hey! Aren't you scared of me, Christ?" will just sound ridiculous. But this leaned too heavily into scary, dangerous, and disturbing territory for me; it needs to be funny too. Herod is trivial, insignificant, shallow, inconsequential, a puppet. He thinks he has power, but Rome has stripped him of what power the title of "King" might have had. Let's also not forget that JCS uses "King Herod" as shorthand for a different figure than the King Herod you're thinking of; the Herod who put up Rome's eagle above the Temple gate and massacred the innocents in Bethlehem is a different Herod from his son, Herod Antipas, who passed judgment on Jesus and beheaded John the Baptist (hence the skull necklace, which I thought was a creepy but interesting touch). Herod the Great would radiate power; Herod Antipas was just the 1st century Trump, a debauched bloke with a mostly empty title and a palace, sitting around smoking and drinking all the time with a lot of women around him, a grotesque man playing at being king. Which brings me back to my initial point: there needs to be an element of play, afternoon amusement for a bored rich man who thinks he knows everything and cares not a whit for the people. We get enough tyranny with the way Pilate treats Jesus.

Staging/design: We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I left feeling kind of empty. It didn't really resonate with me emotionally. "Stripped down" and "glitzy" may seem like a contradiction in terms to you, but let me explain what I meant. True, it wasn't a production where you saw all the dollars on stage, with camels and donkeys ****ting all over the place, sheep and goats jostling with hookers in the Temple, bed-sheets and swords in a "stunning lifelike recreation of ancient Jerusalem," but to me, it still felt shallow and lacking in substance and a little too polished, hence "glitzy." "Stripped down," for me, didn't refer to production values, but to not going the extra mile in terms of, for example, establishing relationships between the characters; it was all surface. To illustrate that particular point: say what you will about the Nineties tour, but (perhaps due to their longevity in the roles) I really got the sense of Jesus and Judas' friendship, and how much it hurt them that it was going astray, from Ted Neeley and Carl Anderson more than almost any other performers I've seen in the roles. Productions like this one start from square one with Judas as an outsider, where you almost wonder why and how he stuck around so damn long if he's this disillusioned and detached from the group. He and Jesus shoot glares at each other like they murdered each other's pets. Okay, anger is valid, but it came from something. Where's the sincerity? Show me more than anger. Show me despair, show me disappointment, show me depth. Yes, it's a little ridiculous that Ted Neeley is pushing 80 within the next five years and still playing Jesus (now in Europe), but they aren't just hiring him for sentimental value. They're hiring him because he doesn't have to be taught how to play this role, the way newer performers have to be. He's been in the trenches. He knows how the role (and the show) works, and what is meant to be accomplished in the telling of this story, which is more than I could say for some of what I saw on that stage.

Oh, and as for "Superstar," questioning Jesus' choices is part of it; Judas, after all, is a hallucination conjured up by a delirious Jesus. But that's not all. Judas' raison d'être throughout the show is that he doesn't like what Jesus is becoming -- a "superstar," a shallow, hyped personality worshiped merely for the hype like many celebrities today. The messenger has become more important than the philosophical message he wished to convey. To Judas, Jesus lost his stature as philosopher when he gained his status as superstar. That's the other driving point of the song: style and personality have devoured substance, that's a huge part of his beef with what Jesus is doing throughout the show, and if Jesus is honest with himself, he fears that as much as Judas ("Would the things I've said and done / Matter anymore?" comes to mind). One wishes those producing the show so often would learn from that lesson.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Updated On: 5/13/18 at 10:02 AM

Mister Matt
#17Jesus Christ Superstar: Chicago Lyric Opera
Posted: 5/13/18 at 7:14pm

Re: the Nineties tour you refer to twice: yes, it was painfully over-amplified, especially in the non-union portion, and some people admittedly croaked their way through more tender moments, but the screaming was spot on, going back to the Brown Album. That's the way it's supposed to sound. You're supposed to think that any minute this performer is gonna make rocks crawl out of their throat. That's where the passion, thrill, and excitement of this score comes from.

The screaming of the 90s tour was far more excessive than that of the Brown album.  And they croaked when they weren't screaming.  This is why that style of singing just isn't sustainable in an 8-show per week schedule for long periods of time.  Not to mention, they were difficult to understand when you knew the score and impossible to understand if you were unfamiliar with it.  This is why there has to be the happy medium for any production aimed at sustaining a long run.  The sound of the Brown Album was based on producing a studio recording, but it doesn't represent the practicalities of repeated performances for theatre audiences.  As for Neeley and Anderson, I really didn't get that same sense of connection you did when I saw it (the run with the ridiculous leather-drag Herod).  Of course they do get cast because of their intimate knowledge of the show, but mostly because they starred in the film (and Neeley's prior rock reputation).

Let's also not forget that JCS uses "King Herod" as shorthand for a different figure than the King Herod you're thinking of; the Herod who put up Rome's eagle above the Temple gate and massacred the innocents in Bethlehem is a different Herod from his son, Herod Antipas, who passed judgment on Jesus and beheaded John the Baptist (hence the skull necklace, which I thought was a creepy but interesting touch).

True, and I stand corrected on that part, but he still represented the Herod lineage (much in the way Don Jr. does for his Trump father).  But I don't think Herod necessarily has to be comical.  He has some comical lines, but he's mocking Jesus.  And because Jesus is present, beaten and shackled, to play it too light and comical at the beginning would seem almost an inappropriate break in the tension that drives the second act.  Something that's already handled with more refinement in Could We Start Again Please.  (and I really liked Mary's look!  It was only a touch edgy, for any edgy woman of her time, but her performance delivered the softness of her character...I just don't like the boring run-of-the-mill pretty-girl Marys you usually find in most productions).

But that's not all. Judas' raison d'être throughout the show is that he doesn't like what Jesus is becoming -- a "superstar," a shallow, hyped personality worshiped merely for the hype like many celebrities today.   To Judas, Jesus lost his stature as philosopher when he gained his status as superstar. That's the other driving point of the song: style and personality have devoured substance, that's a huge part of his beef with what Jesus is doing throughout the show, and if Jesus is honest with himself, he fears that as much as Judas ("Would the things I've said and done / Matter anymore?" comes to mind). One wishes those producing the show so often would learn from that lesson.

Yes, that is the POV and perception of Judas, BUT not the "message" of the show itself.  Because as we all know, Judas was wrong.  Jesus knew he had to stay on his course.  He never sought celebrity, but he could neither stop delivering his message any more than he could stop how he was perceived by others as a celebrity, a threat, a prophet, or a martyr.  Your quote from Gethsemane is an interesting choice because I think it reveals a point opposite than the one you're trying to make.  It's missing context.  Jesus questions God, "Why I should die. Would I be more noticed than I ever was before? Would the things I've said and done matter any more?"  The answer is YES.  Judas believed the messenger had become more important, but it was because he lacked faith.  Because Judas was WRONG.  Jesus HAD to get that level of attention AND had to die in order for everything else to occur, resulting in Jesus Christ, the SUPERSTAR.  And Jesus accomplishes it all, mostly quietly, with no hint of vanity.  All of the Jesus moments are staged more simply and quietly (similarly with certain other disciples) in direct contrast to those representing flash, fame and glitz.  That's why I thought THIS production got it all right. 

At any rate, I mean no disrespect to you because I enjoy your passion for the show itself and I love have insightful and thought-provoking discussions on particular shows.  I think Lloyd Webber often gets dismissed way too much around here, chiefly for his later works, though often his own celebrity and ego tends to overshadow the actual brilliant work he did early on.  Personally, I think JCS is a masterpiece, which is why I appreciate the discussion.

g.d.e.l.g.i.
#18Jesus Christ Superstar: Chicago Lyric Opera
Posted: 5/14/18 at 10:01am

I'll grant you that some of the vocal showboating on that tour was excessive (there's audio proof from closing night in the apparently unlikely event you'll want to walk down memory lane), but it had the right sound. A happy medium, in my opinion, can be achieved without sacrificing the "grit." Even though I don't particularly care for the specific pop sound of some of the Chicago cast's voices, it is proof that one can hit those notes eight times a week without having a brain hemorrhage through the nose. Singing it with technique but making it sound "dirty" isn't wholly impossible.

(With regard to Neeley, what "prior rock reputation"? He himself is the first to admit he got a record deal at 22 with his hometown band, they put out one album and maybe a handful of singles that went nowhere, he auditioned for Hair on a whim and got the gig, that led to JCS, and aside from a few stints in other rock musicals, some bit parts on film, touring as part of bigger artists' bands, and attempting to launch his own projects with varying degrees of success, JCS is his "rock reputation." That's why I said some of it is due to being cast because he starred in the film, but now that that novelty has worn off for the most part [again, except in Europe], the only conclusion I can come to is that you don't have to teach a dog to sit again when you've already taught it once. And people buy tickets to his performances, as opposed to Webber's productions, in droves -- that Nineties tour grossed over $140 million in its four-year run -- because they know what to expect and that they won't be disappointed.)

As for Herod, think back to that Brown Album. There was no "Could We Start Again Please?" or any of the extras that came with later stage renditions and the film. It sounds deliberately out of step with the rest of the score for a reason: this kind of raucous, blackly comic, British music hall song and dance number breaks the tension for a moment. It's supposed to. It's comic relief that also moves the story forward. On record, it's a release before you go back to the deaths of Judas and, eventually, Jesus. (Indeed, there are some die-hard Brown Album purists in the JCS fan community who intensely dislike "Could We Start Again" because they think there's already been a tension break, and having another one so close to Herod's scene is belaboring the point.)

But what works on a record doesn't work as well on stage. They realized the score was only roughly an hour and a half long, and they needed to add some stuff so it didn't feel so short. (It didn't work; Act I always goes by in a whirlwind no matter what production I see.) Realizing Mary Magdalene sort of disappears in the second half of Act II, and recognizing that on a stage going from the comic relief number straight to (literal) suicide causes a severe case of mood whiplash, they slotted in "Could We Start Again." But that doesn't mean Herod's number was supposed to be any less funny, even if the particular style of humor wasn't broad comedy. The number needs balance, and I feel the Chicago version tipped the scales a little too far into the more disturbing side of it.

You're correct, "the perils of style devouring substance" is not the sole (I think it is a pretty big part of it, but not the only one) message of the show itself. But, to be quite frank, I don't believe the show's message has anything to do with Jesus accomplishing -- or even being right about -- anything (or, conversely, being wrong). That's something the individual audience member brings to it; we all have our "piece of the true cross."

It's by no means a religious story, it's not about Christ's suffering (except that it deals with the literal circumstances of torture and execution), and it's certainly not about the question of Jesus' divinity (Tim Rice didn't believe he was the Son of God, and in the show, the question is deliberately left open). Rice and Webber began with the idea of writing a musical about Judas, in which Jesus was only a minor character. Granted, that's not exactly what they ended up with, but Judas is still the protagonist. He's the most fully drawn character in the show, certainly more so than Jesus. This is a story, told from Judas' point of view, about Jesus as a subversive political activist and the brutal and terrified response of the authorities, and among many themes, it deals with the peril of the "cult of personality." If that isn't adequately conveyed, it's one more point a production missed.

Hey, I welcome in-depth conversation as much as anyone! I concur, almost none of Webber's work gets this level of attention, and really the only thing stopping most people who write about theater from doing so is the prevailing level of condescension assumed by the cognoscenti. It's as worthy of analysis as anything else in theater.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Updated On: 5/14/18 at 10:01 AM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#19Jesus Christ Superstar: Chicago Lyric Opera
Posted: 5/16/18 at 10:26pm

Just got out of this and I absolutely loved! Can’t really add much else that has already been said. Would love to see this make it to broadway, but I said the same about the lyric production of carousel.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Videos