pixeltracker

The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race- Page 4

The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#75The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 6/4/18 at 8:27am

Am I the only one who thinks there's no way Tony Shalhoub is winning this award for what is basically a speaking role in a musical? I realize that this isn't unprecedented, but, since the competition is strong this year, I'm assuming it will go to someone who actually sings in his show.

rjm516
#76The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 6/4/18 at 8:57am

Man I am still thinking about Henry Hadden-Paton's performance. I thought I was fine with any of the four winning as all are truly worthy but I really do want him to win. He was superb. 

TexanAddams18
#77The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 6/4/18 at 9:26am

CT2NYC said: "Am I the only one who thinks there's no way Tony Shalhoub is winning this award for what is basically a speaking role in a musical? I realize that this isn't unprecedented, but, since the competition is strong this year, I'm assuming it will go to someone who actually sings in his show."

Exactly, I would have 100% nominated Paul Alexander Nolan over Shalhoub. If Shalhoub wins over Slater who is onstage basically the whole two and a half hours, belting his face off, and completely nailing the physicality on top of giving a truthful performance, I will seriously question what the voters are doing. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#78The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 6/4/18 at 9:29am

TexanAddams18 said: "CT2NYC said: "I will seriously question what the voters are doing."

I have been questioning what the voters are doing for a long long time.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

TexanAddams18
#79The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 6/4/18 at 9:34am

bwayphreak234 said: "TexanAddams18 said: "CT2NYC said: "I will seriously question what the voters are doing."

I have been questioning what the voters are doing for a long long time.
"

I mean, same, but a Shalhoub win for me would be the biggest head scratcher of the decade. That being said, I'm with CT2 with confidence he won't win. 

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#80The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 6/4/18 at 9:34am

I will be a little peeved if Shaloub wins this. As good as he was, Hadden-Paton and Slater are on another level imho. Those are meaty, iconic roles to begin with, but both put their own distinctive stamp on them.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#81The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 6/4/18 at 11:33am

I'm really rooting for Shalhoub, but am thinking more and more he's less and less likely to get it.

Slater is the heart of that show and won't be surprised or mad if he gets it. Henry could be a possible Dark Horse, but I doubt it.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#82The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 6/4/18 at 11:47am

I thought Shalhoub was stunning in The Band's Visit. There's so much "smacting" in the musical theatre world that it was really nice to see legit acting in a musical. It's the same situation for Lenk.

I do think Slater will win at this point and he deserves it. It's a stunning physical performance, his singing is great, and he's able to to bring a wonderful emotional center to such a 2D character. It's just a very impressive performance.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#83The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 6/4/18 at 2:10pm

TexanAddams18 said: "CT2NYC said: "Am I the only one who thinks there's no way Tony Shalhoub is winning this award for what is basically a speaking role in a musical? I realize that this isn't unprecedented, but, since the competition is strong this year, I'm assuming it will go to someone who actually sings in his show."

Exactly, I would have 100% nominated Paul Alexander Nolan over Shalhoub. If Shalhoub wins over Slater who is onstage basically the whole two and a half hours, belting his face off, and completely nailing the physicality on top of giving a truthful performance, I will seriously question what the voters are doing.
"

The title of the award is best “actor in a musical” not best “singer,” “dancer,” or “gymnast.” Tony is acting circles around Paul. He deserves that nomination and if he wins I would understand it 100%. He’s truly one the most amazing actors of our lifetime and his performances in The Bands Visit is no exception.

Update: This is why I think arguments like “Ethan is onstage the entire time” or “Joshua is such a phenomenal singer” are just so bogus. Just because they can stand on a stage for 2.5 hours are sing well doesn’t mean they are a good ACTOR. Are they a good performer? Sure, but that’s not the same as being a good actor. If the award was “best performer in a musical” I’d give it to either of them any day, but that’s not what they are rewarding.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 6/4/18 at 02:10 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#84The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 6/4/18 at 5:01pm

I hope Ethan Slater wins.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)