TotallyEffed
#575The View
Posted: 1/31/22 at 11:50pm

Her comments were a bit cringe.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#576The View
Posted: 2/1/22 at 6:57am

The show in general felt off yesterday. Tara is back for three shows starting today. Hopefully Whoopi doesn't smoke too much before today's show.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#577The View
Posted: 2/1/22 at 8:11am

Now that you mention it, it did feel off. I remember thinking that Joy seemed short with Whoopi.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#578The View
Posted: 2/1/22 at 3:32pm

TotallyEffed said: "Her comments were a bit cringe."

I'm reading on the NY Post that people are calling for her to get fired for her comments. But, in general, I don't think she's totally off? Like I can see the initial confusion, and I think she got schooled. And has since walked it back.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#579The View
Posted: 2/1/22 at 4:14pm

She won't get fired. Whoopi leaves and the show's done. There's a reason she just got a 4 year deal. Imagine Joy as the permanent moderator? Rumors are this is Joy's final season. The show would have to find a permanent moderator, conservative co-host and a comic type to replace Behar for season 26 then. Doubt Sunny and Sara return if that happens. ABC would have to completely restart the show for season 26.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#580The View
Posted: 2/1/22 at 10:03pm

Fired? No. Suspended. Yes. 

https://t.co/LHqnPrfPXP

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#581The View
Posted: 2/1/22 at 10:28pm

ucjrdude902 said: "Fired? No. Suspended. Yes.

https://t.co/LHqnPrfPXP
"

ABC had to do something. The View's rating's have been dropping this season. Say what you want, but McCain and her fights gave them better ratings. I do wonder how much longer ABC will keep the show going.

ElephantLoveMedley
#582The View
Posted: 2/1/22 at 10:38pm

Whoopi's Holocaust comments were absolutely vile, and this suspension is something I applaud the network for doing.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#583The View
Posted: 2/1/22 at 11:00pm

This was probably the most ABC could do without firing her. Like I mentioned earlier, The View might die whenever Whoopi leaves. Don't see ABC completely revamping the show with five new cohosts if Whoopi were to leave/get fired(along with Joy). Thinking whenever Whoopi decides to leave, the show ends.

TotallyEffed
#584The View
Posted: 2/2/22 at 12:18am

I think Whoopi misspoke. She came back the next day humbled and willing to have a discussion. I think a suspension is harsh.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#585The View
Posted: 2/2/22 at 12:53am

Meanshile, Joe Rogan and Tucker Carlson and others are free to spread their lies. And I get that Rogan is basically self-employed and Carlson’s job is to actually spread misinformation, but the different standard is still rich. 

I don’t watch The View, but I’m wondering given all the whoppers that members of the panel have uttered throughout the years, has anyone else ever been issued a suspension before? 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#586The View
Posted: 2/2/22 at 1:01am

But that's what I'm saying. She misspoke. As a white guy, I was like, yeah, it's not about race. But then the more I was reading online, I'm like oooooh okay, I can see what they're saying and I educated myself on the subject. And I think Whoopi did the same. On the outside, it looks like "White" Germans hating on "white" Jews, but it's clearly more complex than all that once you throw in the "master race" idea. 

I just wish our world was more open to educating and learning than cancelling people after saying one wrong thing. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#587The View
Posted: 2/2/22 at 9:16am

Miles2Go2 said: "Meanshile, Joe Rogan and Tucker Carlson and others are free to spread their lies. And I get that Rogan is basically self-employed and Carlson’s job is to actually spread misinformation, but the different standard is still rich."

Carlson is one of the most vile, evil and hideous personalities on TV in my lifetime. He's calling for Whoopi's firing when he's said things equally or even worse. And his misinformation spreading on COVID, the January 6 insurrection, climate change, etc. should be enough to get him fired, but nobody is calling for his head.

FindingNamo
#588The View
Posted: 2/2/22 at 10:47am

Ripped Man, I think it would be great if Whoopi took the time to read up and learn the exact same things you have described in your post. But people get defensive in their ignorance.  I have caused great consternation in a group of my fellow white people when I have declared "All white people are racist," which is true, because supremacy is in our culture and in our DNA. My oldest sister: "Well, *I'M* not, I don't see color." My other sister, "ALL white people? That includes you." Me: "Yes it does include me." This is not the capacity of their imagination, to reflect and be self-critical. To admit that you have benefited from a system of supremacy, in their mind, is 1) to suggest that's okay by you or 2) that you have to take some action to correct the biased system you benefit from. within 

This stuff has been written about and written about and talked about and talked about for decades and decades. But what motivates people to dig in and learn if they think declaring themselves not to be racist or anti-semitic is enough? Whoopi went on Colbert Monday night and in my estimation made things worse. 

She kept talking about anti-Semitism in terms of physical aspects of race, seeing Jewish people as white. Her example was if she were walking down the street and came upon a Klan march, she'd run but her Jewish friend might not because the Klan "couldn't tell" they were Jewish. Just in Orlando this past weekend there is video of the Nazi demonstration filmed from within a passing car. At a stop light, one of the Nazis yells at the person filming, "Look at him, he's a Jew. You can tell!" Think about the look of the people who tortured the main character in Mel Gibson's The Passion of The White Jesus. Think of the hooked noses of the bankers in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Think of the racist trolls that used to hang out in this site going after me when I suggested white people benefit from a system of oppression that is racist. 

I'm surprised Whoopi didn't take away the message from the great movie "Passing," which was that just because *some people* "can't tell" if somebody is part of a group one belittles and oppresses out loud, doesn't mean they aren't.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none
Updated On: 2/2/22 at 10:47 AM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#589The View
Posted: 2/2/22 at 5:38pm

The View Fallout

TotallyEffed
#590The View
Posted: 2/2/22 at 6:47pm

Meghan should have been suspended every other week.

I wonder how Whoopi will recover from this, emotionally. I imagine she’s feeling a lot of shame and betrayal right now.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#591The View
Posted: 2/2/22 at 7:00pm

TotallyEffed said: "Meghan should have been suspended every other week.

I wonder how Whoopi will recover from this, emotionally. I imagine she’s feeling a lot of shame and betrayal right now.
"

Meghan is just trying to get some attention. Her book bombed and she's got nothing else going on. We shall see what happens with Whoopi when she returns in two weeks.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#592The View
Posted: 2/3/22 at 9:20am

Reports are surfacing that Whoopi is considered quitting. Considering all she has coming up in terms of movies, it's not like she needs the money. But The View would be completely different without her.

bwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
#593The View
Posted: 2/3/22 at 12:53pm

The show needs her more than she needs them.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#594The View
Posted: 2/3/22 at 1:02pm

bwaylyric said: "The show needs her more than she needs them."

100%, which is why she wasn't fired.

iluvtheatertrash
#595The View
Posted: 2/4/22 at 11:55am

ACL2006 said: "bwaylyric said: "The show needs her more than she needs them."

"

She wasn’t fired because she shouldn’t have been. If the ADL can support her and accept her apology and even call out ABC for this suspension, we should listen to them.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#596The View
Posted: 2/4/22 at 12:29pm

Agreed. There's still reports that she may quit. Hopefully ABC, the other co-hosts and her family are convincing her not to quit.

fosterfan2
#597The View
Posted: 2/4/22 at 5:36pm

iluvtheatertrash said: "ACL2006 said: "bwaylyric said: "The show needs her more than she needs them."

"

She wasn’t fired because she shouldn’t have been. If the ADL can support her and accept her apology and even call out ABC for this suspension, we should listen to them.
"

This. 100%. And I'm the granddaughter and great-granddaughter of Holocaust escapees.

Papi2013
#598The View
Posted: 2/7/22 at 5:22pm

There are rumors circulating in the Hollywood Trade chat boards that she is quitting.  

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#599The View
Posted: 2/7/22 at 5:44pm

Papi2013 said: "There are rumors circulating in the Hollywood Trade chat boards that she is quitting."

ABC should just end the show then after this season unless they're prepared for a complete overhaul for season 26. No way Joy returns if Whoopi quits. Sunny and Sara have defended Whoopi and I just can't picture either of them returning without Whoopi.

Videos