SpongeBob winning???

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#25The Band's Visit is Winning ya'll
Posted: 6/4/18 at 6:26pm

JayElle, The Band's Visit isn't winning because of a vote split, it's winning because it's the best new musical. Most adults that I speak to hated SpongeBob and many left at intermission. They didn't see the cartoons and they don't get it. Mean Girls is not a very good musical. It has a couple highlights, but there's little that actually works. Frozen downright sucks. Mean Girls and SpongeBob and Frozen aren't even in the running.

The Band's Visit will win in a landslide with 0 real competition.

Updated On: 6/4/18 at 06:26 PM

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#26The Band's Visit is Winning ya'll
Posted: 6/4/18 at 6:34pm

There are some people in here (one in particular), who really need to learn the difference between being blunt, and downright disrespectful. Just putting that out there.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#27The Band's Visit is Winning ya'll
Posted: 6/4/18 at 6:45pm

GeorgeandDot said: "The Band's Visit will win in a landslide with 0 real competition."

How can something win in a landslide in a situation where vote totals are never revealed? It can either win or not win, those are the only options. The rest is just fiction to support an invented narrative.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#28The Band's Visit is Winning ya'll
Posted: 6/4/18 at 6:46pm

None of us will ever know if ANYTHING wins in a landslide or because of a split vote....although I certainly hope that TBV is who takes home the only brass ring that matters.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

GeorgeandDot
#29The Band's Visit is Winning ya'll
Posted: 6/4/18 at 6:48pm

I just mean that if you counted the votes, I'm sure you'd see that The Band's Visit won in a lanslide. None of the other nominees are providing any real competition.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#30The Band's Visit is Winning ya'll
Posted: 6/4/18 at 6:51pm

GeorgeandDot said: "I just mean that if you counted the votes, I'm sure you'd see that The Band's Visit won in a lanslide. None of the other nominees are providing any real competition."

But you can't know this, and will never be able to do this, so... that still makes it a guess.

GeorgeandDot
#31The Band's Visit is Winning ya'll
Posted: 6/4/18 at 6:56pm

Yeah... but it's probably true.

johnmichael
#32The Band's Visit is Winning ya'll
Posted: 6/5/18 at 5:56am

Fun as it is, it would be a truly sad day for the Tonys if this lightest of entertainments frankly won anything. it is not a broadway worthy show. It has no cohesive narrative, no heart, and no soul. It is truly just an inconsequential spectacle, and while it is great that there is room for all forms of theatre in New York, this is simply not award worthy.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#33The Band's Visit is Winning ya'll
Posted: 6/5/18 at 7:41am

GeorgeandDot said: "Yeah... but it's probably true."

It's just as "probably true" as not.   Who CARES how much it wins by?   If it wins by one vote or a landslide has no bearing on anything.   No one goes around saying, " we only missed it by one" or "no other show came close".   Truth is it's only those that don't win (but truth be told the fans of those that don't win) who would care.

TBV will win or it won't.  By how much doesn't matter - especially since that info is never made public.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

brdway411
#34The Band's Visit is Winning ya'll
Posted: 6/5/18 at 9:08am

As a much older adult, I never liked the Spongbob cartoon. That being said, I enjoyed the musical. Will it win? Goddess, I hope not. TBV is so freaking good, sometimes a small show (like ONCE) comes along and the smart people get it.(yes, I am calling some of you not smart, I am old and cranky, get over it)
Haven't seen Mean Girls (no desire, movie was so so) and my friends description of Frozen on stage, froze my desire to see it(never saw the movie either) and I despise that flipping song.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#35The Band's Visit is Winning ya'll
Posted: 6/5/18 at 9:29am

Wow, thank you all for taking the time to stop yelling at kids to get off your lawn so you can post on this thread. 

brdway411
#36The Band's Visit is Winning ya'll
Posted: 6/5/18 at 9:43am

I live in Manhattan, in a desirable neighborhood, dont have lawn. But thanks for sharing.

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#37The Band's Visit is Winning ya'll
Posted: 6/5/18 at 8:02pm

brdway411 said: "I live in Manhattan, in a desirable neighborhood, dont have lawn. But thanks for sharing."

Just read that as George St Geegland and am still laughing.

S394206H Profile Photo
S394206H
#38The Band's Visit is Winning ya'll
Posted: 6/5/18 at 9:11pm

Not being from NYC and only having listened to the cast recordings of each of these shows (and having input from friends in the city), I dearly, dearly hope Band's Visit wins- I had to pull my car over the first time I listened to it because I was crying so hard. However, if by some crazy injustice it doesn't win, Spongebob is the only other one of the four that I would be okay with winning- nothing about Frozen or Mean Girls sticks with me at all, but Spongebob is just so wildly inventive and ambitious that I'd be okay with it winning. I don't think there's any chance of it happening, because the Band's Visit should and probably will win, but I'd say Spongebob is the underdog in this situation- I don't think either of the other two have a chance.

God, the almighty and all-knowing, has misplaced a cup?