News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Mean Girls- Principal Attendance

Mean Girls- Principal Attendance

willrolandsframes
#1Mean Girls- Principal Attendance
Posted: 6/13/18 at 12:20am

How well has the attendance been for the principals in Mean Girls? This is the one show where I haven't heard a whole lot regarding understudies going on for leads. I believe Nikhil Saboo has been on for Cheech Manohar once or twice. I also know Demarius Copes has been on for Grey at least once (as per Erika's vlog).

Have any of our leading ladies taken an off night since March or is this show gonna have DEH levels of principal attendance?

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#2Mean Girls- Principal Attendance
Posted: 6/13/18 at 12:26am

They've been good about attendance. Taylor hasn't missed a show yet and I don't think the rest have missed more than you can count on one hand. At this point, the odds of seeing the full company is pretty high.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#3Mean Girls- Principal Attendance
Posted: 6/13/18 at 8:01am

Everyone with the exception of Taylor, Kerry, Ashley, and Cheech have missed a show.

None of them have missed too many shows (at most I’d say two or three) but they all seem to have pretty great attendance overall.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

Elegance101
#4Mean Girls- Principal Attendance
Posted: 6/13/18 at 8:32am

BTW, Taylor just said on Twitter that she’ll be on vacation August 6-12. I wouldn’t be surprised if that ends up being the first show she misses.

jbird5
#5Mean Girls- Principal Attendance
Posted: 6/13/18 at 11:02am

There was the show Barrett missed where Tee Boyich stepped in with 90 minutes total prep.

Elegance101
#6Mean Girls- Principal Attendance
Posted: 6/13/18 at 11:05am

It was 3.5 hours, but still impressive. 

Updated On: 6/13/18 at 11:05 AM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#7Mean Girls- Principal Attendance
Posted: 6/13/18 at 1:05pm

Kerry Butler almost never misses a show in anything she's in.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Lousy
#8Mean Girls- Principal Attendance
Posted: 6/14/18 at 5:00am

The other impressive part of Tee stepping in last minute for Barrett is the she isn't even an understudy for that role, and by stepping in she made her Broadway debut performance. The other understudies hadn't been rehearsed yet, and Tee was chosen due to (allegedly based on other actor's accounts) being able to memorise music quickly, and being a standby she had been able to observe the staging without having to worry about originating an ensemble track as well.

No one gives a damn about the list of shows you've seen.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#9Mean Girls- Principal Attendance
Posted: 6/14/18 at 10:20am

I saw Demarius go on for Gray - it was a weird performance. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#10Mean Girls- Principal Attendance
Posted: 6/14/18 at 10:52am

IdinaBellFoster said: "I saw Demarius go on for Gray - it was a weird performance."

Why weird?

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#11Mean Girls- Principal Attendance
Posted: 6/14/18 at 11:33am

Littleshopofcarrie said: "IdinaBellFoster said: "I saw Demarius go on for Gray - it was a weird performance."

Why weird?
"

He's clearly very talented, but nothing about the performance seemed in the character.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#12Mean Girls- Principal Attendance
Posted: 6/19/18 at 7:01pm

Tonight both Taylor Lauderman and Ashley Park are out.

willrolandsframes
#13Mean Girls- Principal Attendance
Posted: 6/19/18 at 7:46pm

poisonivy2 said: "Tonight both Taylor Lauderman and Ashley Park are out."

Do you know who is on for Gretchen? I figure Becca Petersen is on for Regina again, so I believe that means either Tee Boyich is on as Gretchen or Riza Takahashi is making her principal debut in the role.

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#14Mean Girls- Principal Attendance
Posted: 6/19/18 at 7:51pm

willrolandsframes said: "poisonivy2 said: "Tonight both Taylor Lauderman and Ashley Park are out."

Do you know who is on for Gretchen? I figure Becca Petersen is on for Regina again, so I believe that means either Tee Boyich is on as Gretchen or Riza Takahashi is making her principal debut in the role.
"

Ziran Villanueva is on for Gretchen

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#15Mean Girls- Principal Attendance
Posted: 6/19/18 at 11:55pm

Question. If Tee is the standby for Gretchen why did an understudy go on before the standby. I know no one will know for sure, but the whole standby vs understudy thing always confuses me.

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

ClumsyDude15
#16Mean Girls- Principal Attendance
Posted: 6/20/18 at 1:32am

^Tee, Ashley, and Taylor seemed to be taking some personal days off. Taylor per her Instagram story went home to Missouri for a couple days while Ashley and Tee per both of their Instagram stories went to the beach somewhere outside of the city.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#17Mean Girls- Principal Attendance
Posted: 6/20/18 at 1:38am

Any word on when they’ll be back?

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#18Mean Girls- Principal Attendance
Posted: 6/20/18 at 6:55am

Well I thought Ziran was great as Gretchen. I thought Becca Petersen as Regina had some diction issues and it was hard to understand what she was singing.

Mean Girls combines one of the best books with the worst scores. I don't think I've ever seen such a lopsided combo. The book by Tina Fey is consistently funny and sharp, with a couple jokes that seem ad-libbed (a joke about JR Smith and Lebron is now in the show). The humor is PG-13 rated which is appropriate for the throngs of teen girls I saw at the show but as a high school teacher i really enjoyed Fey's book. 

The music is loud, harsh, and unmemorable. The miking didn't help -- it was earsplittingly loud, to the point where I couldn't really make heads or tails of the song because all I heard was the shrill orchestrations. 

I know Jeff Richmond is Tina's husband but I can't help but wonder how a collaboration with a more talented musical team might have worked out. 

willrolandsframes
#19Mean Girls- Principal Attendance
Posted: 6/20/18 at 10:16am

poisonivy2 said: "The music is loud, harsh, and unmemorable. The miking didn't help -- it was earsplittingly loud, to the point where I couldn't really make heads or tails of the song because all I heard was the shrill orchestrations.

I know Jeff Richmond is Tina's husband but I can't help but wonder how a collaboration with a more talented musical team might have worked out.
"

I’m still in the camp that enjoyed what Richmond tried to do with the literal music. Nell Benjamin is who I tend to blame for the rough score. I’ve had the tune to Apex Predator stuck in my head for a month, but so many of those lyrics are just...bad. I think Richmond’s music would stand out more had he hired a better lyricist.

Elegance101
#20Mean Girls- Principal Attendance
Posted: 6/20/18 at 11:39am

I agree that Benjamin’s lyrics are the weakest link. Ironically, she’s the only one out of the three who has written a musical before. I like Richmond’s score (very catchy and each character’s vibe works), but Benjamin’s lyrics are clunky and sometimes laughable.

Elegance101
#21Mean Girls- Principal Attendance
Posted: 6/20/18 at 11:44am

I know it’s not necessary, but why have a standby for Cady, Gretchen, and The Adult Women (and I guess now Janis), but not Regina or Karen? If any role should have a standby, it’s Regina with those vocals (though Louderman doesn’t seem to need one). Feels like a weird choice from the beginning.

ClumsyDude15
#22Mean Girls- Principal Attendance
Posted: 6/20/18 at 1:31pm

TotallyEffed - All of them should be back tonight, at least Taylor and Ashley should be. Taylor posted on Instagram about being back tonight and Ashley hasn’t said anything but I assume she will be. Tee per her Instagram post seems to have gotten a nasty sunburn so I’m not sure if she’ll be back but the other two should be.

Elegance - I have no idea why there’s not a standby for Regina or Karen while the others do. I know Tee mentioned on Broadwaysted that she’s not tall enough for Regina and she isn’t the strongest dancer like Karen would require. Becca is a swing so I guess they feel like since she’s not in the ensemble every night, they’re able to put her on at last minute’s notice for either Regina or covering Jonalyn while she’s on as Karen. 

Updated On: 6/20/18 at 01:31 PM

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#23Mean Girls- Principal Attendance
Posted: 6/20/18 at 2:39pm

Thanks so much!

ClumsyDude15
#24Mean Girls- Principal Attendance
Posted: 6/20/18 at 8:14pm

Kyle Selig is out tonight and Kevin Csolak is making his debut as Aaron Samuels.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#25Mean Girls- Principal Attendance
Posted: 7/6/18 at 11:26am

Elegance101 said: "BTW, Taylor just said on Twitter that she’ll be on vacation August 6-12. I wouldn’t be surprised if that ends up being the first show she misses."

Thank God I checked this board before buying any tickets b/c I almost bought a ticket for that week. Any other vacations in August?

Videos