pixeltracker

Everybodys Talking About Jamie transfer?

Everybodys Talking About Jamie transfer?

KitKatBoy24 Profile Photo
KitKatBoy24
#1Everybodys Talking About Jamie transfer?
Posted: 7/11/18 at 9:14am

Forgive me if this thread already exists, but has anyone heard rumor or a broadway transfer of West End’s “Everybody’s Talking About Jamie”

https://youtu.be/5lzLey7iWZU

Copy and paste that link for their Olivier performance. It looks fabulous and I’m all for it.

"In here, life is beautiful"
Updated On: 7/11/18 at 09:14 AM

rjm516
#2Everybodys Talking About Jamie transfer?
Posted: 7/11/18 at 9:18am

there was talk but I think the movie adaptation has taken over the discussion for now. It needs a lot of work to make it on Broadway. The score is dreck and the book is not edited enough. 

KitKatBoy24
#3Everybodys Talking About Jamie transfer?
Posted: 7/11/18 at 9:26am

Interesting that the next step is a movie. I’ll admit all I’ve seen is this video and one other promotional video, but I was really feeling it.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#4Everybodys Talking About Jamie transfer?
Posted: 7/11/18 at 9:46am

After loving their number on the Olivier Awards I downloaded the cast album, and I found the rest of it just terrible. It's the same bland, by-the-numbers pop writing that everyone chastised FINDING NEVERLAND for.  

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

KitKatBoy24
#5Everybodys Talking About Jamie transfer?
Posted: 7/11/18 at 11:00am

And yet they’re making a film... hmm..

Perhaps they should workshop it more and maybe consider another production first. However, the London production does keep extending.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#6Everybodys Talking About Jamie transfer?
Posted: 7/11/18 at 11:11am

They are not making a film.  A live performance was filmed and was recently shown in UK cinemas.  It was not shown in the US - yet.

lilac3
#7Everybodys Talking About Jamie transfer?
Posted: 7/11/18 at 11:13am

They are making a film in addition to the recorded performance.

KitKatBoy24
#8Everybodys Talking About Jamie transfer?
Posted: 7/11/18 at 11:13am

It is being adapted into a film:

https://www.londontheatre.co.uk/theatre-news/news/everybody’s-talking-about-jamie-extends-and-to-be-adapted-into-film#

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#9Everybodys Talking About Jamie transfer?
Posted: 7/11/18 at 11:19am

I saw it in London back in the spring and was entertained. If Hamilton wasn't in the same season, I think this show would have won more Olivier awards. 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#10Everybodys Talking About Jamie transfer?
Posted: 7/11/18 at 11:34am

KitKatBoy24 said: "It is being adapted into a film:

https://www.londontheatre.co.uk/theatre-news/news/everybody’s-talking-about-jamie-extends-and-to-be-adapted-into-film#
"

I stand corrected, humbly.  

Boq101
#11Everybodys Talking About Jamie transfer?
Posted: 7/11/18 at 11:59am

I just don't see the show finding it's place amongst everything else Broadway has to offer. It's just not there yet. 

Gizmo6
#12Everybodys Talking About Jamie transfer?
Posted: 7/11/18 at 1:14pm

None of the recordings do this show justice, not the concept album or the cast album. 

It's very rare that you get such an electric feeling from an audience as I did the day I was there. 

I think a lot of the audience found it very cathartic. There was groups of older gay men weeping and older women. 

The lady beside me, a solo theatre goer, told me her young grandson had told her to come see it. 

She wept at the Mother's song. 

I think this show keeps extending in London because it reaches across the age spectrum. 

Young people love it because it reflects them, older gay people love it because it's perhaps nostalgia of coming out and overwhelmed at the progress LGBTQ+ community has made. And I think straight women really identity with the mother character her song literally reaches into the heart, the lyrics really capture the ups and downs of a mother son relationship. 

It's not perfect, but it has so much heart it's difficult not to be won over. 

I don't know how it would go down on broadway, its nearly becoming a cult in the west end but ticket prices are much better. Reading the #jamieincinemas really showed the range of audiences this little show has. 

I wish it all the success. For the gayest genre musicals need more LGBTQ+ stories 

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#13Everybodys Talking About Jamie transfer?
Posted: 7/11/18 at 1:25pm

I bet given the shows that are coming out this season, if it somehow was able to transfer in time for the 2018-2019 season, it'd win a few Tonys based on voters' attitudes as evidenced by the most recent Tony Award survey. 

I wonder...if it's a direct transfer of the same production from London if we'll have that poster complaining about it winning awards the way he complained about Hamilton winning Oliviers because it was a direct transfer of the Broadway production.

BritCrit
#14Everybodys Talking About Jamie transfer?
Posted: 7/11/18 at 2:27pm

I saw Everybody’s Talking About Jamie on Thursday (as part of the cinema event) and generally enjoyed it. About six or seven of the songs have been added to my Spotify playlist. I feel like the contemporary pop style works for a musical such as this set in a modern-day Sheffield Comprehensive. I like the diversity of the cast, and felt I could relate to the protagonists.

However, I think that Everybody’s Talking About Jamie would work better as a film than a Broadway musical. I feel like the contrast between the drab setting and the colourful drag queen fantasy lends itself better to film, and the songs ‘Don’t Even Know It’ and ‘Work of Art’ could easily be turned into vivid and creative little daydreams (the line between dream and reality felt a little too muddy for songs which seem to primarily exist is Jamie’s head). I also felt that Jamie’s camp excesses could get a little grating in the first half of the musical (he grew on me in the second act, as we learned more about his anxieties and insecurities) and I feel like the more naturalistic approach of film would make the character feel like less of a caricature at the start. It would also be nice to see more material for the mother and the Muslim best friend, who are probably the two most interesting and appealing characters, and I feel like this expansion is more likely to happen on screen.,.

It would be lovely to see Everybody’s Talking About Jamie make it to Broadway, but the chances of it doing so are relatively slim...

Gizmo6
#15Everybodys Talking About Jamie transfer?
Posted: 7/12/18 at 4:28am

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "I bet given the shows that are coming out this season, if it somehow was able to transfer in time for the 2018-2019 season, it'd win a few Tonys based on voters' attitudes as evidenced by the most recent Tony Award survey.

I wonder...if it's a direct transfer of the same production from London if we'll have that poster complaining about it winning awards the way he complained about Hamilton winning Oliviers because it was a direct transfer of the Broadway production.
"

I complained about Hamilton winning the awards mostly because it won on name and not on production. 

I haven’t seen the West End production but the Olivier performance was ridiculous and puts me off even though there are lots of cheap tickets available. 

Secondly you cannot compare multi-millionaire producers productions and a small little musical that began life in regional theatre with a producer taking a chance to bring it into the West End. 

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#16Everybodys Talking About Jamie transfer?
Posted: 7/12/18 at 9:35am

So all that stuff you said about Hamilton should not being eligible because it was a direct transfer was just a reason you came up with to express your frustration that Hamilton won Oliviers. Before I saw Hamilton, I knew little about the show other than what I already knew about Alexander Hamilton's life. I saw a few performances of it on TV when they would do one including the Grammys and Tony Awards and I didn't think much of it either. Then I actually saw the show and it provided one of the most incredible theatre experiences I've had. So it goes to show you judging the quality of any show based on a television performance you saw is foolhardy as you don't actually know what the show is like.

Finally, smaller productions have won Tonys over bigger, more commercial productions. There's no reason it could not have happened at the Oliviers as well. You have no idea why Hamilton beat Everybody's Talking About Jamie. They could have just liked Hamilton better as I'm sure some people will once they are able to see both productions or those who already do after seeing both. Further, Hamilton was far from a sure bet when it was being developed and debuted Off-Broadway. 

Updated On: 7/12/18 at 09:35 AM

rjm516
#17Everybodys Talking About Jamie transfer?
Posted: 7/12/18 at 11:25am

Gizmo6: 
"I complained about Hamilton winning the awards mostly because it won on name and not on production. 

I haven’t seen the West End production"

dying

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#18Everybodys Talking About Jamie transfer?
Posted: 7/12/18 at 11:37am

KitKatBoy24 said: "I was really feeling it."

Is that a play on words re: Dan?

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#19Everybodys Talking About Jamie transfer?
Posted: 7/12/18 at 12:04pm

I can't say I was terribly impressed by the Olivier Awards performance. Based on that number (which one would imagine is one of the best in the show), and what I've read, it seems like a flawed musical about an important subject. However, if they can "Americanize" the show, it might be able to fill in the space left by Kinky Boots when that show eventually closes and be able to draw in audience members from that target demographic.

Gizmo6
#20Everybodys Talking About Jamie transfer?
Posted: 7/12/18 at 1:24pm

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "So all that stuff you said about Hamilton should not being eligible because it was a direct transfer was just a reason you came up with to express your frustration that Hamilton won Oliviers. Before I saw Hamilton, I knew little about the show other than what I already knew about Alexander Hamilton's life. I saw a few performances of it on TV when they would do one including the Grammys and Tony Awards and I didn't think much of it either. Then I actually saw the show and it provided one of the most incredible theatre experiences I've had. So it goes to show you judging the quality of any show based on a television performance you saw is foolhardy as you don't actually know what the show is like.

Finally, smaller productions have won Tonys over bigger, more commercial productions. There's no reason it could not have happened at the Oliviers as well. You have no idea whyHamilton beat Everybody's Talking About Jamie.They could have just likedHamiltonbetter as I'm sure some people will once they are able to see both productions or those who already do after seeing both. Further,Hamiltonwas far from a sure bet when it was being developed and debuted Off-Broadway.
"

I see hundreds of productions across the world every year, unless they have a cast change from the Olivier performance I can judge that the production hasn’t achieved what the Broadway OG achieved. 

I will see Hamilton when I have time and there’s nothing better to see but I stand by my point an English cast performing in the style of Hamilton at the Oliviers I found very camp due to the over enunciation. 

Many things affect your perception of a performance before you see it, as Susan Bennett has excentlly argued. 

BritCrit
#21Everybodys Talking About Jamie transfer?
Posted: 7/12/18 at 2:26pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "I can't say I was terribly impressed by the Olivier Awards performance. Based on that number (which one would imagine is one of the best in the show), and what I've read, it seems like a flawed musical about an important subject. However, if they can "Americanize" the show, it might be able to fill in the space left byKinky Bootswhen that show eventually closes and be able to draw in audience members from that target demographic."

The prospect of Everybody's Talking About Jamie' getting "Americanized" for Broadway fills me with dread. So much of its charm and appeal comes from its very English setting. At best, an "Americanized" version would downplay a lot of the British humour and culture. At worst, it could move the musical to an American setting to make money. This is another reason why I would prefer a film version...

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#22Everybodys Talking About Jamie transfer?
Posted: 7/12/18 at 2:28pm

BritCrit said: "The prospect of Everybody's Talking About Jamie' getting "Americanized" for Broadway fills me with dread. So much of its charm and appeal comes from its very English setting."

Agreed.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Gizmo6
#23Everybodys Talking About Jamie transfer?
Posted: 7/12/18 at 3:39pm

BritCrit said: "The Distinctive Baritone said: "I can't say I was terribly impressed by the Olivier Awards performance. Based on that number (which one would imagine is one of the best in the show), and what I've read, it seems like a flawed musical about an important subject. However, if they can "Americanize" the show, it might be able to fill in the space left byKinky Bootswhen that show eventually closes and be able to draw in audience members from that target demographic."

The prospect of Everybody's Talking About Jamie' getting "Americanized" for Broadway fills me with dread. So much of its charm and appeal comes from its very English setting. At best, an "Americanized" version would downplay a lot of the British humour and culture. At worst, it could move the musical to an American setting to make money. This is another reason why I would prefer a film version...
"

^^^^100%

BWAY Baby2
#24Everybodys Talking About Jamie transfer?
Posted: 7/12/18 at 4:09pm

I see lots of Broadway plays- and go to London every year for the West End. This year saw Jamie- LOVED it. Loved everything about it and think it could be Kinky Boots 2 on Broadway. So entertaining- went with my straight brother- and he loved it too.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#25Everybodys Talking About Jamie transfer?
Posted: 7/13/18 at 4:46am

I’ve already called it: it’ll win the Tony for Best Musical.

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1106686

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000